XF 1.5 What is the best way to accomplish this?

mb0027

Good day all,

New to Xenforo and loving it so far.

I would like to accomplish a true bilingual forum, English and French. I have installed both language packs and that takes care of the translations.

Now for the forums themselves this is what I would like to do, I dont even know if this would work, but here is my plan.

1- Create Category, example MEMBERS
2- Create Member Introduction forum, with English and French title
Example : Members Introduction / Présentation des membres
Don't allow posting in this forum
3- Create 2 child Forums for Members Introduction / Présentation des membres, One called English and One called French.

The plan being that if an English visitor visit my forum and wants to present themselves they would do it in the English child forum and the French would do it in the French Child forum.

I would like to do this for all the forums I create, would this work?

Or is there a better solution?

2- Create Member Introduction forum, with English and French title
Example : Members Introduction / Présentation des membres
Don't allow posting in this forum
If you're not going to allow posting then just make it a category.

3- Create 2 child Forums for Members Introduction / Présentation des membres, One called English and One called French.

The plan being that if an English visitor visit my forum and wants to present themselves they would do it in the English child forum and the French would do it in the French Child forum.
How would you determine who is French and who is English?

You could use a custom user field linked to a user group promotion, which would only allow posting in one or the other forum.

Thank-you for the reply, however I may have users who wish to post in both English and French forums, this is why I dont want to limit them.

Another question for you.

Please forgive the questions, I am a long time VB user and just moved over to Xeno.

My link structure seems weird for some reason.

I have installed Xeno in a directory called forum, however all my link structures are

websitename/forum/forums/ ?

Another question on this subject, is there a way to display forums depending on the language selection a user selects?

Example, if you select English, you will see only the english forums and vice versa?

Hello Again.

Getting there but still need help sir.

I created 2 user groups, 1 English and 1 French, each allowing accessing for specific language forums.

I then created 2 Group Promotions based on language criterion and putting them to the correct user group.

What are the next steps to making this work?

If I manually change the test user to the english or french user group than then it works, however I think there must be a better way?

Is there a way for the user to select what language he wants to be in at registration?

What am I missing?

Top Bottom