What Is The Best Method To Provide User Blogs With Xenforo?

Anthony Parsons

As the title pretty much asks...

Xenforo will obviously only be a forum product... so what would be the best solution to provide each user their own blog? Does WP or Joomla already have such a mod? I know it can be done with Joomla and Jomsocial, using the blog addon to Jomsocial... can it be done with WP to allow each user their own area that comes with their own user permissions?

Obviously the software, WP or Joomla, would be bridged with xenforo. But the basic requirement would be to provide user blogs.... can it be done?

well, it can only be answered when the software is made accessible to third party developers who are/might be willing to code connectivity with third party blog solutions.

it is pretty clear that the developers took into consideration such third party add-ons and it might not be very difficult for third party coders to provide linking with wordpress and other solutions!

Anthony WP allows for multiple bloggers, hey download it as it costs nothing, but would need a bridge built to Xen. I think a few people have raised this question in the various Xen tech forums. I've never used WP with any forum software so am interested in knowing what sort of a bridge people are after beyond the member logins etc?

If you post up your requirements then developers may get more of a scope of what the bridge would require.

Thanks Jethro... will take a look. I am not usually a WP person, normally Joomla. Will have a look though. I imagine someone will make a WP bridge pretty quickly, as I would expect a Joomla bridge pretty rapidly as well. Will start investigating though... as atleast that gives me a clear direction to begin looking. I know WP does blogging better than Joomla does, just not a WP person. Time for change I guess.

Hmmm... at first glance, I somehow doubt it can be done with WP as it seems the only way is by using multisite, which installs a unique install for each member: http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network which is now builtin to the primary WP install. Scary stuff when you think about 10,000 users and 2000 use the blogging. I think this may be a waiting game until an official product is released.

WP3 has support for multiple blogs from a single installation.

Earlier they had a MU edition for multi-blogs. they merged it with the primary edition with v3.

it does not require new installations for a new blog.

it does however create name database tables in the same primary database for each new blog.

wordpress supports multiple authors on a single blog since the very beginning.

so new users can be added to existing blogs without starting new blogs.

a single installation is required. a single database is required. each blog gets its own tables in the database. user accounts are applicable on all blogs with different permissions.

So it creates a new table for each user, or just a row within a table? A new table... wouldn't that tend to become a significant DB requiring one hell of a lot of connections if a table exists for each user?

users are inside a single table. what i meant to say was that...

you have a list of blogs.
you have a list of users.

a single user can have posting rights on different blogs. he has a single user name/password for each of the blogs.

i imagine it is pretty similar to forums. just that forums do not start new tables for each individual forum!

Ah ok... sounds ok to expand then. Thank you very much for that OM... I will download tomorrow and play around with it to see how it goes... then hopefully someone makes a WP bridge quickly.

Top Bottom