What is the BEST Gallary add-on in your OP, and why?

Commodore

I run a gaming website. I am so torn between quality and cost of what is available. I may be missing a few as well.

Any chance upon surfing through, you can drop some pearls of wisdom? Thank you in advance!!

Add on question (pun unintended! :D)

I'd love to be able to store images instead of linking to a site like imgur. Do I need to FTP the pic first to my server, or would the gallery add on take care of that stuff when guildies want to add photos in their posts?

Xen Media Gallery by Chris D / XenForo.

I've used it since its early days before Chris joined the team and it was his personal add-on. I like the style and functionality of it.

Images and videos can both be stored on your site if desired ask well as linking to external media. I believe this is the case for most gallery add-ons.

Ultimately it all comes down to personal preference. Look at each of the Gallery add-ons, what functionality each has, the styling of each. Decide on which one you prefer rather than basing your choice on what others are using.

Xen Media Gallery by Chris D / XenForo.

I've used it since its early days before Chris joined the team and it was his personal add-on. I like the style and functionality of it.

Images and videos can both be stored on your site if desired ask well as linking to external media. I believe this is the case for most gallery add-ons.

Ultimately it all comes down to personal preference. Look at each of the Gallery add-ons, what functionality each has, the styling of each. Decide on which one you prefer rather than basing your choice on what others are using.

As always, Thanks Martok!

Well I've read through the features and I actually AM looking to hear from everyone else because that "why" make very well cinch it for me. Also I can learn a bunch that might not me in the promotional threads.

I will most definitely make my own decision, based on the needs and desires of our guild ;) I am not shy nor do I jump before looking for cars (Frogger flashback, dang!) ;)

Styling is a key thing for you personally. I dislike masonry layout which XenGallery uses, I much prefer the the more standardised layout of Xen Media Gallery. Other people feel the opposite to me.

I like that Xen Media Gallery is an official add-on and that a 2.0 version will be released at the same time (or shortly after) XenForo 2.0. I would assume that XenGallery will be updated for 2.0 but only the author can say this and when it will be released.

I like that Xen Media Gallery has categories (which are the main use for media) as well as users being able to have their own albums.

Martok you have figured me out, something even the wife has to second guess on sometimes!! :)

Yes I was doing graphic design on EA's Deluxe Paint back in the mid 80s on a Commodore Amiga. Being a successful guild leader for many years also means the forum means a lot to us, not just the eye candy but functionality. Our guildies actually use the site and know each other quite well.

Yeah XFMG has these HUGE blocks for each media content. That just looks terrible to me. Is that adjustable at least? How the heck would that even work on a smart phone??

Yeah XFMG has these HUGE blocks for each media content. That just looks terrible to me. Is that adjustable at least? How the heck would that even work on a smart phone??
All of the blocks (I assume you mean the media items) are responsive and they work well on a phone - just check them out on my site.

You can easily configure how many media items appear per page. You can also configure how many media items appear in each row at each of the responsive widths (default, wide, media and narrow).

For example, on my site currently it's set to 3 per row which looks like this:

upload_2016-11-19_11-43-49.webp

A quick tweak to change this to 5 makes it look like this:

upload_2016-11-19_11-44-51.webp

So as you see, you can easily set it to suit your preferences.

It's worth noting that you can also toggle off most of the additional information on each item, to the point that you can actually go completely minimalist:

upload_2016-11-19_11-56-11.webp

I've resized the browser window there just to demonstrate how it would look on a typical medium to large mobile display. Smaller displays will actually go to one item per row automatically.

Ahhh, ok. So if I cross off the bog box layouts I've seen then we are baack on an even playing field.

That looks highly impressive Martok.

Chris I thought I saw someone ask others for CSS code to get the minimalist look. If you can toggle then that also is awesome.

Both the full information and the minimalist options look outstanding.

I'm suffering from pneumonia at the moment so I apologize if I am coming off like I havent read the addon threads. I really appreciate the help in deciding and I'd like to make a decision in a couple of days. December 1st is launch day! (2 weeks to go and I still have a few handfuls of hair left so who's worried!? :ROFLMAO:

Oh I'm feeling it. Believe it or not -- this jump into xenforo we made this fall has been a relaxing artistic venture for me, and will in less than 2 weeks be used and loved by hundreds looking for a friendly internet home to share memorable camaraderie among each other..

We have 98 inside now poking around, and not a single complaint. Thank you all, and for now, good night! ;)~~

Well I'm starting to feel much better so it's back on track with this.

$60 is the cost of XFMG? That's a bit too steep for us. We are just a medium sized gaming guild. We are a good $150 over budget as it is this year.

Puts us in a tough spot as I still need to find a solution for a media gallery...

Well I'm starting to feel much better so it's back on track with this.

$60 is the cost of XFMG? That's a bit too steep for us. We are just a medium sized gaming guild. We are a good $150 over budget as it is this year.

Puts us in a tough spot as I still need to find a solution for a media gallery...
There is a free gallery addon available. My recommendation would be to use a free alternative until you have the funds to utilise a more powerful gallery option. TBH a lot of xenforo sites ive seen (including mine) have very low patronage of the media gallery. To date there is no addon ive seen that automatically stores all attached media images into the gallery.

Top Bottom