What is $null in canStartConversations in Visitor.php?

LPH

I'm just trying to dissect different parts of XenForo and figure out what is happening. While trying to see how classes were called and instantiated ... I ran across a $null in canStartConversations.

PHP:
    public function canStartConversations()
    {
        return XenForo_Model::create('XenForo_Model_User')->canStartConversations($null, $this->_user);
    }

phpStorm is showing that $null is undefined. In looking at the User.php in XenForo/Model ... there is

PHP:
public function canStartConversations(&$errorPhraseKey = '', array $viewingUser = null)

What is the $null doing at this point?

It essentially is just passing a variable into the function with the intention of never using it.

It essentially is just passing a variable into the function with the intention of never using it.

Does this mean the undefined $null (different from setting $null = NULL) is simply passed to the $errorPhraseKey? Is there a reason not to just state $errorPhraseKey = '' ? Or am I really lost on this? ;)

The notion of that is the value is set within the function and accessed globally. The $null setting just happens to stateit won't be used in that scope for readability.

Reactions: LPH
Top Bottom