WHAT IF: vb guys won the case vs xenforo?

swatme

hi xenforo,

i just have a question,
What if the worst case scenario happened...
VB won the case....

1.What will happen to xenforo and the payments of the customers made to xenforo?

2.What will happen to xenforo database, can it be reverted back to other existing forum software?

sorry for the questions, but im very interested on xenforo but i just have some What IF's ,,,

thanks

Before I start typing, I'd like to say that the chance of vB winning is very small.

Anyhow, if it should happen, than:
1. The customers can keep running the latest xenForo version before it went offline, anyhow, no new released will be given.
2. Sure, you can convert from xenForo to vBulletin 3/4 if you like. It will cost you though.

And don't think about the what if's. My trust is on the xF-Side (The Bright Side). And the chances of vB winning is very low as I see it :D

Even if Internet Brands won the case (which I think won't happen),
this wouldn't automatically mean that XenForo is dead.
All that would happen is, that XenForo needs to adjust according to
the verdict.

While this is a valid question, you could also ask "What if IB decides to pull the plug on vB, and just ditch the whole thing, no more updates, no more support, no more anything?" Afterall, they are getting more and more angry customers. As I see, the new 4.1.2 version is again just oil to the fire...

All that would happen is, that XenForo needs to adjust according to
the verdict.

What do you think it would mean? They need to take certain functionality out of the engine? (I'm pretty sure these functions would be put back as add-ons by a third party in a matter of hours.)

While this is a valid question, you could also ask "What if IB decides to pull the plug on vB, and just ditch the whole thing, no more updates, no more support, no more anything?" Afterall, they are getting more and more angry customers. As I see, the new 4.1.2 version is again just oil to the fire...

This topic is a "What if xF" topic.
Please keep the "What if vB" out of this, because that will lead to this topic being closed.
And every thread starter, including swatme, has the right for a discussion about his question :)

... what ever then comes ... I switch NEVER back to vB
mad.png

I have a real question am not upto date with laws and all that tbh
But if IB did win would we have to take XenForo down and lose all moneys etc.. (yea am noob at laws "thanks thanks")

yes the question is for Worst Case Scenario..

If VB will won the case, Surely the judge will tell to the xen developers
"YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE ANOTHER SOFTWARE RELATED TO FORUM
OR TO COMPETE WITH VBULLETIN"

geez hopepfully it wont happen..

you know i just want to know what will happen to existing sites that have already migrated to xen...

if ib won the suit and ordered xf to die, i would run xf in flagrant violation of the law. id even colo in china if i had to.

If VB will won the case, Surely the judge will tell to the xen developers
"YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE ANOTHER SOFTWARE RELATED TO FORUM
OR TO COMPETE WITH VBULLETIN"

Unless they signed something like that, this can in no way happen. If they did sign anything like this, then the case would be based on that and not things like "hey, we suggested the sitemap feature first".

... "YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE ANOTHER SOFTWARE RELATED TO FORUM
OR TO COMPETE WITH VBULLETIN" ...
That scenario is something you could expect to happen in North Korea or Belarus.
First of all: I don't think US laws do suggest occupational bans in these types of cases.
Second: I don't think, US courts are entitled to ban an english made product from all markets on this planet. They could ban it from the US and that's pretty much it. ;)

At this point I think it is a matter of principal for Kier and Mike, so I would bet they would rather die than lose this case, this is why they will contest every motion and fight at every turn until the case is dismissed or they win a counter lawsuit.

I am new here...didn't realize there is a lawsuit

i own several vb licenses, but am very unhappy - looknig for new solution (thats another thread)

but is there a link to what the lawsuit is about?

Top Bottom