What happens to ppls forums if the worst comes from the legal accusations?

tenants

Okay, I hate asking this.. and it's something I've been avoiding asking for some time (in the hope that some other person would ask)

It seems extremely selfish to ask... so, I want to ask it in the politest possible way, with the quietest voice (while winces my eyes shut). I'm sorry for asking, and I'm sure the worst wont happen!

If the accusations that Xenforo are currently being accused of stick (Xenforo lose), what's going to happen to the forums that are curretly installed?

Do you think we will still be able to use the Xenforo product (I'm quite happy to not upgrade and continue to create add-ins / make it better for myself)

Or will we be forced uninstall the forums? (They would have to contact us all and ask us to uninstall!!??!)
Or will the other forum software honour the licences and ask us to change to their software (which in my opinion, is as bad as asking us to uninstall the software and I would feel like I'm stepping back in time using relic software :( )

I've asked... you can hate me now :(

Sorry

vBulletin would give you a 5% discount coupon code for the pre-order of vB5.

All kidding aside there's really no way to predict that, vBulletin haven't provided a bit of evidence to make any of this stick, they're just using their deep pockets to make this as complicated as possible.

There are a few possibilities the first is that nothing happens and Xenforo wins everything easy solve. Second Xenforo needs to stop the copyright infringement or buy a license that would mean rewrite of the effected parts of the software and everyone then needs to upgrade because you violate copyright. Third they need to transfer copyright to the complainer that would mean you need to stop using the software until they give a new license or not.

Third they need to transfer copyright to the complainer that would mean you need to stop using the software until they give a new license or not.

The third case sounds like the worse case scenario, and in such a case, it's going to be down to the hugely envious/bitter company that decided if people can keep their forum software

If XenForo was to be symbolised as a statue... a great sphinx it would be, and I do not underestimate the bitterness of the competitors to take the stance of Napoleon and fire away at the superior product

Although it's possibly a myth that Napoleon cannoned the Sphinx "if I can't have it, no one can". It is undoubtedly not a myth, that envy & bitterness rarely create good things, but often destroy them

... all this being said, I feel the accusations are unfounded and I'm sure the 1st case scenario is the likely one

Everyone is asking same question here n there, directly/indirectly. No body likes to loose XF, we want Kier and Mike to keep developing this software.
I do not know whats gonna happen, or what is about to happen. But I think XF officials should start talking now. I know they are busy and everything, but answering all these question is part of their work.
I know Ashley have said that development will be continued. but people leaving staff, Kier and Mike have stopped talking can bring lots of false thoughts in mind.
If communication were good by officials I might have bought XF already. But I do not wanna convert my forum software with 1.7 million post back n forth.
I pray all/any conclusion will go in favor of Xenforo !! (InshAllah)

Or think on the positive, XenForo is going to win and then you have a 2 year headstart on everyone who doesn't have XenForo :D

That's true... and developing plug-ins for xenforo also gives you a great head start. There are still lots of areas that we can cover (In my opinion, we should all be jumping at the chance of getting there 1st ;) )
In a couple of weeks, once I've given my XF forum a polish, I'll be doing just that... pretty much full time ;)

Creating plug-ins for forum software that is clearly aimed at the future makes so much more sense than creating plug-ins for old relic software (that has no future)

You start with cr** .. you end with cr**

If you start with something good, it's so much easier to build upon.

There I go.. going off topic again! :S

The third case sounds like the worse case scenario, and in such a case, it's going to be down to the hugely envious/bitter company that decided if people can keep their forum software

If XenForo was to be symbolised as a statue... a great sphinx it would be, and I do not underestimate the bitterness of the competitors to take the stance of Napoleon and fire away at the superior product

Although it's possibly a myth that Napoleon cannoned the Sphinx "if I can't have it, no one can". It is undoubtedly not a myth, that envy & bitterness rarely create good things, but often destroy them

... all this being said, I feel the accusations are unfounded and I'm sure the 1st case scenario is the likely one

That is worse case indeed and in the documents there are only 2 examples that it ever was granted if there was more they would have said so in the documents.

But before i bought Xenforo i asked a lawyer what the worse case scenario would be for me if Xenforo was defeated in court and that is the license could be revoked well for giving support to Xenforo and because it was cheap i thought who cares.

Or think on the positive, XenForo is going to win and then you have a 2 year headstart on everyone who doesn't have XenForo :D

So true.

Keep renaming and selling Xenforo to the same people so that Vbully has to keep filing mulitple lawsuits-one after the other. Turn the tables, bleed Vbully. They aren't THAT deep-pocketed.

I usually tend to stay away from these threads, but the subject is actually interesting enough. Basically, if XF loose, customers are using copyrighted code that they have no license to use. If worst comes to worst, you will have to stop using Xenforo, probably there will be given a grace period for XF customers to plan ahead and get around to removing the software. As someone else pointed out, XF can also just rewrite the affected code, or (and this is highly doubtful will ever happen) license the code from vBulletin.

I really don't want to comment on the ongoing trial, but my initial impression is that this is vBulletin using the courts to stall and starve Xenforo. However, as the saying goes, it is not over until the fat lady sings, so until a verdict is reached, we basically don't know.
But I think XF officials should start talking now. I know they are busy and everything, but answering all these question is part of their work.
I highly doubt there will be any official word regarding the trial, it is not wise to comment an ongoing trial. What needs to said has been said in announcements, that there is no vBulletin code used in XF and that they are confident that they will win. Any subsequent news regarding the trial would have just been the same words over and over again. Saying users need contingency plans or whatever is bad for business, you should have evaluated this risk before converting to XF.

This kind of stuff creates the secondary problem. I don't think vB can win this, in fact I think once it has to go to trail they will drop it. Remember they refused to let someone speak under oath already. I don't like saying this but some of the users are contributing to making things harder for them to ride this out.

Please just let the guys focus on what they need to do with as little distraction as possible.

Fair enough.

Ok here are some things I don't understand because I don't know code and have no interest in knowing coding. But as a tech knob using the back end and front ends of both forums, it's not to difficult to see that they aren't similar in the least. So if coding creates what we see, where is the legal standing? I know it's being simple-minded but from a knob's perpective, this lawsuit gives me the impression that it's really not about coding and more about burying any real competition-and this makes me angry. I hope that makes sense.

Further, MYBB looks and feels alot more like the old VB3 series so why isn't anyone sueing them? Again a stupid knob question I'm sure.

I know it's being simple-minded but from a knob's perpective, this lawsuit gives me the impression that it's really not about coding and more about burying any real competition-and this makes me angry. I hope that makes sense.

Further, MYBB looks and feels alot more like the old VB3 series so why isn't anyone sueing them? Again a stupid knob question I'm sure.

Loving the repeated use of the word knob. :D

The thing is there's the front end code and back end code. The front end code, i.e. the HTML and CSS is clearly completely different between the two products. Yet, the back end code, i.e. the PHP which does all the methods and functions and the classes and lots of stuff I don't understand could be identical but the HTML and CSS would make it look completely different.

Of course, the PHP code is not identical at all either, but just saying that you could have two identical products looking completely different just by changing the layout of the HTML and style sheet.

LOL Yea i see that I used knob quite a bit. Here's the deal for me. I just want to point and click and be done with it. And from a Kn... oh I mean a lay person's perspective, on the surface XF and VB are far different. All the coding is jibberish to me so I can only go by what I physically see and again, they are completely different. Quite frankly if this goes to a jury, that is exactly what they are gonna see as well.

Top Bottom