XF 1.2 What happened to Template Modification in XF1.2.2 ?

swatme

Hi

when XF 1.2 is introduced, The Template Modification System (similar to TMS addon) was builtin already
in xf 1.2 , so i decided to remove TMS 3rd party addon since theres already built in.

now when i updated to XF 1.2.2 , the Template Modification is gone?
i cant add new template modification , it only shows the previous template i custom modified

is it really gone in XF 1.2.2 ?
tms.webp

Last edited:
@swatme , @Adam Howard

The technical reason for this is certainly that the XenForo Template Modification system targets the master template, which as you know requires also to use the debug mode to access it. So this tool just follows the same logic. You can try to ask @guiltar, whose TMS addon extends now the official one (allows users to do custom modifications per style) to display this menu and prevent any modifications in the master template (when the debug mode is disabled).

Put aside this reason, such a tool is of course a great asset to prevent direct template edits and perform faster updates when comes a new version of XenForo. When vBulletin 3.6 was released a French website about vB was using the new hook system to do all the templates mods. When an update of vB came, it was really quick to update whereas on my own forum I needed to spend a lot of time to check all mods with an extra compare/merge tool. Of course this system used a lot of regex and was far away to be user friendly. But a simple search & replace system is understable by anyone, especially admins.

Last edited:
Debug mode is not required to create a TM.
Navigate to admin.php?template-modifications/add

So I create a new modification (XF 1.3.0) which by default changes the master style. Then I go to back to template modifications and with the list there is a dropdown for style choice. I choose an alternate style to check and get the message that there are "no modifications for this style". How was I supposed to make a modification for that alternate style in the first place?

And I suspect you are right, no wait you are right!

OK, now I'm totally bamboozled. With the TMS addon disabled the dropdown is gone.
Obviously TMS 1.3.0 works much differently than I expect.
I thought the list would have a Template Modification (TMS) line for accessing the addon.
I loved the simplicity of the old TMS whereby it was style dependant and very handy for my limited skill set.

Paging Mr. Guiltar to the addon topic.

Top Bottom