1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What forum software did you use before XF

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DirtRider, Feb 20, 2014.

What forum software did you use befor XF

1. phpBB

2. vBulletin

3. IP.Board

4. Simple Machines Forum

5. MyBB

6. ASPPlayground.NET

0 vote(s)
  7. YaBB

0 vote(s)
  8. Tal.ki

0 vote(s)
  9. Other

1. DirtRider

DirtRider Guest

I was just wondering what forum software you used before coming over to XF. Also what made you move over.

From my side I was very happy with my vBulletin V4 until IB decided that they had a different vision on what forum software was about. Looking around for an alternative it seemed only fitting that I should move over to XF
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I was actually on vB.org staff when I bought my license. Whoops. The coding behind XF is fantastic.
    Lisa, Jeffin and Rob like this.
  3. DirtRider

DirtRider Guest

I thought that you look somewhat familiar. I am loving XF more every time I use it cannot wait to go live with it in a few weeks
  4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

vBulletin 4.
  5. DEZero

DEZero Well-Known Member

IP.Board, wanted to try something new, and well I love how easy it is to style xenforo :)
  6. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I was on vB.org staff for quite a few years and developed a decent bit of modifications for XenForo. I never really intended to switch, but the code is beautiful. Well worth the switch to a modern architecture.
    Mike Creuzer and Amaury like this.
  7. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

No multi vote?

I would like to vote phpBB and vBulletin. :D

I use @Arty phpBB themes before switch to xenforo :)
  8. Alluidh

Alluidh Well-Known Member

Started with WBB, changed 2004 to vBulletin and then XenForo ;)
  9. DirtRider

DirtRider Guest

I did not think about that and I see no way to change it now :(
  10. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Started out on IPB Free upgraded to whatever version of the premium IPB product for about a month and was loaned a spare vB license.. So got my vB start on 3.8 B1 Spent a good year there and took an eager plunge to vB4 when it was fresh off the press. That led me to start immediately looking into something that worked.. After a few ugly months on vB4 xF was released and we were waiting for it eagerly.. For the first time in many years we are happy to be pioneers setting such a high standard for our competitors to compete against..
  11. oman

oman Well-Known Member

I used phpbb and vBulletin (was an administrator on a site with it installed) before XenForo.
  12. mistypants

mistypants Well-Known Member

vBulletin 3 then 4. vB3 was great but it was beginning to show age, vB4 was just a headache from the start. After persistent security issues on vB4 I began to look for other solutions, and XenForo is really the only choice from there.
  13. DirtRider

DirtRider Guest

Intresting to see most seemed to have moved over from VB so far
  14. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Weren't you also on phpBB for a little while?
  15. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Voted for myBB, but I had several forums running phpBB and myBB at the same time. Converted the phpBB ones and 1 myBB over to XenForo.
  16. Lost

Lost Well-Known Member

phpBB (1 year) > SMF (5 years) > IPB (2 years) > xenForo (2 years and counting).
  17. Gazhyde

Gazhyde Well-Known Member

phpBB for my sites first 15months, then XF since April 7th 2013. Never looked back since the switch...
  18. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard Well-Known Member

Invision Free, phpbb, invisionpowerboard, SMF, vB 3x, vB4x

and a few other things.

No particular order, but all came before xF. Now its xenforo all the way.
  19. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

For my first migration, which was webdesignforums.net was on vB 3.5 with a design that looked like it belonged in 1995. I upgraded it to 3.8 and gave it a face lift. Shortly after that I ported over it's mods to XenForo, and built a design review system that would take a screenshot of a website and people could rate it based on a number of things.

About 4 months later I sold it on...the geniuses that bought it downgraded it to vB4, and butchered what was a fairly pleasant design. Now it looks like junk.
  20. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

MyBB 1.6.x to XF 1.0.4 :)