1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does this error mean?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Barbossa, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Barbossa

Barbossa Active Member

From time to time, I am getting this error. It just happened after upgrade to v 1.1.3.

How to fix this?
  2. ragtek

ragtek Guest

error28 means, that you have no free disk space at your db server anymore
    Barbossa likes this.
  3. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

Error Code 28 (No space left on device)

Shutdown your forums, check disk space (and /tmp space) - maybe do a disk clean-up?
  4. CyclingTribe

Check for "log" files - some of them can get quite big but are non-essential and compressing or deleting them might give you some headroom whilst you sort something more permanent. (y)
    Barbossa likes this.
  5. Barbossa

Barbossa Active Member

What folder, what sort of file type I should check for?
  6. CyclingTribe

If you're not sure it might be best to consult with your host. If you're on a shared/VPS plan the host might have put quotas in place to limit the space you can use - they may be able to temporarily lift the restriction whilst you sort the problem.

If you're managing your own server and it's a Linux box the logs are usually in #/var/log/ - but if you're not sure what you're doing it's probably best not to mess with the logs.

To find out how much drive space is being used by logs use du with the -h switch du -h * (whilst in the logs directory) - this way you can see whether the logs use a little or a lot of space. If they use a lot, do an ls -lap and post the results here.

Shaun :D
  7. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Also, the df command in the shell will show all partitions and their available space.
    CyclingTribe likes this.
  8. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

Mr. Goodie2Shoes Well-Known Member

My first question is: Are you using a VPS or Shared Hosting?
    If you are using a Shared Hosting, then contact your service provider... they sometimes use quotas for Databases...
  9. Barbossa

Barbossa Active Member

Guess what! I am on my dedicated server!
  10. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

Mr. Goodie2Shoes Well-Known Member

then you probably need to tweak your cPanel's config ;)