What does this email error mean?

PatriotGB

I'm getting bunches of these email bounces, saying that the weekly update email is getting rejected as spam. Why is this happening? Thanks!

1659479992859.webp

Means just what it says.. whatever recipient mail server you are sending it to is detecting the messages as spam.
There should be an email list in the message that it is sending to... I'd simply find it, figure out which user was using that email address and then force them to reconfirm their email (if on 2.2.10).

Means just what it says.. whatever recipient mail server you are sending it to is detecting the messages as spam.
There should be an email list in the message that it is sending to... I'd simply find it, figure out which user was using that email address and then force them to reconfirm their email (if on 2.2.10).

Yes. I understand what it means on an individual basis. But, I got a BUNCH of them (all different recipients).

Yes. I understand what it means on an individual basis. But, I got a BUNCH of them (all different recipients).
And the answer remains the same.. your email is classified as spam for the recipients....
There are a multitude of reasons this could be happening.

You are on a shared server, and your host mail server has a REALLY sh*tty reputation due to spammers using it.
You don't have SPF, DKIM or DMARC set up.
Your email shows to be from one address, but is actually being sent from another.
As I said, the response itself tells you the issue.. there is something "spammy" with your email.
What host do you use?
How do you send email (via a regular gmail account or such)?
Have you actually configured DKIMl SPF and DMARC for your domain emails in DNS?

You are on a shared server, and your host mail server has a REALLY sh*tty reputation due to spammers using it.
You don't have SPF, DKIM or DMARC set up.
Your email shows to be from one address, but is actually being sent from another.
As I said, the response itself tells you the issue.. there is something "spammy" with your email.
What host do you use?
How do you send email (via a regular gmail account or such)?
Have you actually configured DKIMl SPF and DMARC for your domain emails in DNS?

Yeah... admittedly, I know nothing about what any of that means.

My host service is KnownHost.

I had that on my previous forum where I was on shared hosting. The IP address was flagged and most of my emails got error messages.

You need to subscribe to a mail service and get a dedicated ip address so someone else's spam emails don't affect your account.

My suggestion....

I find Xenforo Cloud to be quite reasonable because the email works and I only have to pay for one service. No web hosting, email hosting etc etc.

Better than the Cloud.. if you are comfortable with administering a server, setting up Amazon SES for sending your mail is not that hard, and their "free" tier" allows 50K messages a day @ 14 a second when out of the sandbox mode.
It didn't take me that long to set it up, and I was able to have my emails delivered to Hotmail/Outlook/Live with NO issues, which was not true when I had rolled my own SMTP server.

Better than the Cloud.. if you are comfortable with administering a server, setting up Amazon SES for sending your mail is not that hard, and their "free" tier" allows 50K messages a day @ 14 a second when out of the sandbox mode.
It didn't take me that long to set it up, and I was able to have my emails delivered to Hotmail/Outlook/Live with NO issues, which was not true when I had rolled my own SMTP server.

I have Amazon SES in use for one of my businesses and Hotmail sends everything to spam. I have been fighting with them for 2 years but I cannot get anything done to change it. Everything works with gmail, yahoo etc but a hotmail/live/outlook email address and my business email goes to spam.

Am currently looking to go away from Amazon for email because of that.

For another business I have I use Google to host my email and the domain is registered at Google Domains.
Nothing ever goes to spam, it works perfect 100% of the time.

For Xenforo cloud I have had no issues, I get a bounced report and for the users with invalid email addresses I simply add catch+username@mydomain.com and the emails go to my general catch account.

I then notify the user via PM that their email address has bounced and ask them to change it. If they don't do that there are no more bounces because it goes to my catch account.

Now if you have email verification turned on there should be no bad accounts but the people that use name@domain.com often change their addresses and discontinue the old ones. Then bounces happen and a good admin will closely monitor those at: domain.com/admin.php?logs/email-bounces

WAAAAY more expensive.

Can we break it down?

• Proper hosting dedicated or managed platform without 200 other accounts, how much?
  • an email delivery service
  • a dedicated ip
  • a xenforo licence
  • time involved for doing upgrades

All in all I find the price of cloud at $80 to be a bit on the high side but factoring in all of the above it is worth the price.

The Starter Cloud plan is $60, not $80.

It works out to $54 per month if you pay annually.

Yes, sorry about that, it is $80 for me when converted to Canadian on my credit card.
That number just kinda stuck in my head.

All that said, it is still a decent deal for me.

I might go for the annual term soon but I have a few more big bills to pay first.

Top Bottom