What do you think about XF's decision to hide user info in postbit?

What do you think about XF's decision to hide user info in postbit?

• Total voters
While providing the basic forum requirements, we want to be - Different. Unique.

It's wonderful to see some of the new features and many I like. But as I said having the ability to easily add content below the avatar is a basic forum need and the poll reflects this.

I'm glad to hear that xenForo will be providing basic forum requirements.

It's wonderful to see some of the new features and many I like. But as I said having the ability to easily add content below the avatar is a basic forum need and the poll reflects this.

I'm glad to hear that xenForo will be providing basic forum requirements.

1. Template edits are -easily- done. Chances are, someone will post how to add information to the postbit (Though it'll mostly be a copy paste job, right?), but most people don't see a need for it.

2. The poll reflects 3 groups: 1) perfectly fine with the way it is, 2) a group who likes the postbit, but will add more user information, 3) a group that wants to change the postbit to look like vBulletin.

Group 1) 57.5% of the votes (50 members voted)
Group 2) 24.1% of the votes (21 members voted)
Group 3) 14.9% of the votes (13 members voted)

Even adding Group 2&3 together you only get 43 votes, leaving Group 1 with a 7 person lead. Logically however, Group 2 would fit closer to Group 1 because of there preference for the cleaner postbit, and willingness to -add- information themselves.

If we go that way it would be 71 votes. Either way, majority prefers the minimalistic approach. 

Hi Kier

As I do not know what it is I do not know whether it is working or not but seeing how I haven't found anything not working I am assuming it must do!! :confused: :D

From what I have seen I think your forum software is great, I can't see anything wrong with it and can't understand why there seems to be so many whingers whinning that is is in the wrong place, that is in the wrong place, this, that or the other should be bigger, smaller or a different color, you should have CMS, SEO, PHP, IBS or some other acronym that I haven't got a clue what it does, I don't know how you manage to keep your cool I would be telling them all to shove it by now.

Regards

Dereck
I really wish you would lose this habit of beating around the bush, Dereck. :p

there should be another option for those who will add more user info in member card not in the postbit

attached img is not what the users want ..
That attached image shows a ridiculously over-crowded postbit. UGH.

You can see that it is collapsible, but yeah, that's a little ridiculous. :p

even if postbit is collapsed , it's still big and your post uses most of the page ..
have seen a lot of vB forums , which are using similar postbit like here ( not a member cards but postbit info is hidden and requires a click to be shown etc. ) , so member cards are very great feature

Hi feldon30,

I looked for such a tag but could not find one. Could you be more specific.
Actually I'm looking now.

Navigation can be wrapped in <nav> which is a purpose-built type of div tag which tells search engines that this is not content.

Posts can be wrapped in <article> or <section> which again are a purpose-built div tag which tell search engines they are content.

The user avatar, name, title, and other profile information could, I suppose, be placed using the <aside> tag which is a type of div which is considered less relevant to the article/section being read.

But there is not actually a tag which says "this is not content". I was mistaken on that.

Actually I'm looking now.

Navigation can be wrapped in <nav> which is a purpose-built type of div tag which tells search engines that this is not content.

Posts can be wrapped in <article> or <section> which again are a purpose-built div tag which tell search engines they are content.

The user avatar, name, title, and other profile information could, I suppose, be placed using the <aside> tag which is a type of div which is considered less relevant to the article/section being read.

But there is not actually a tag which says "this is not content". I was mistaken on that.
Unfortunately none of these tags can be realistically used now because there is such poor browser support for them. :)

Unfortunately none of these tags can be realistically used now because there is such poor browser support for them. :)
Uhm, they're semantic tags, they're not used for display.

And most browsers -do- support them, not sure where you're getting that information.

Uhm, they're semantic tags, they're not used for display.

And most browsers -do- support them, not sure where you're getting that information.
Despite the fact that they are "semantic tags" they are and should be used for display - they can be styled and positioned just like <div> elements. :)

As far as poor browser support, the tags completely break on any version of IE. The browser doesn't recognize them, and IE refuses to render CSS on any element it doesn't recognize. You can fix this by using the HTML5 shiv, but that doesn't work without JavaScript, meaning your page will completely collapse into unreadable garbage with anyone who is using IE and doesn't have JavaScript enabled. This is the reason none of the tags are used alone (they always have <div> fallbacks) within XenForo. :)

I would say 50% of browser marketshare is pretty significant. :)

Despite the fact that they are "semantic tags" they are and should be used for display - they can be styled and positioned just like <div> elements. :)

As far as poor browser support, the tags completely break on any version of IE. The browser doesn't recognize them, and IE refuses to render CSS on any element it doesn't recognize. You can fix this by using the HTML5 shiv, but that doesn't work without JavaScript, meaning your page will completely collapse into unreadable garbage with anyone who is using IE and doesn't have JavaScript enabled. This is the reason none of the tags are used alone (they always have <div> fallbacks) within XenForo. :)

I would say 50% of browser marketshare is pretty significant. :)
I say break the viewing "pleasures" for that 50%, and the marketshare will collapse.

(JOKING)

In response to this topic I will say that I agree with it and plan a modification that will upon mouse over of the posters name you will see the post number, title, etc. So I really like how it is but it opens doors for us developers to make each forum different and unique. My way will provide an unusual way of viewing user information but will be appeasing and save on space in the postbit. :)

I think its great. I run a competitive video game community, and I've seen many others. Something that is pretty universal in tournament communities is that "old" members always look down on "new" members. They use the information in the postbit; registration date, post count, rank, etc as ammunition against new members. By getting rid of the extra information, this would limit that.

Of course, I will still be adding fields for PSN and XBL usernames, with popout gamercards.

Top Bottom