What do you miss after moving from vB4?

NealC

I'm hoping to move two vB4 sites to XF2 this summer. I'm waiting for the importer to stabilize but also my schedule is a factor. After making the switch to XF2 what may I be missing from vB4 that's not there yet or decidedly not implemented as a feature in XF2? Not really a pro's/con's list or comparison of the two, I just want to be prepared of any surprises or expectations after making a major change from something I'm very comfortable with and works well but I want to move something in active development for the road ahead.

Thank you.

Are you using a plain vB4 forum with no addons? You won't miss nothing I think.

But I guess you run some addons, in that case it is individually different. You should definitely write down a list where you state what addons/features you see essential to your forum, which ones you definitely need at minimum. And then compare that list with the features of XF, if some are lacking, see if there are addons to replace those.

We can't know what expectations you have, if you list them, we can tell you what surprises you can encounter.
For example there is no classifieds in the core nor there is an addon for that on XF2. There is no calendar, but 2 calendar addons. There is no CMS, but a big portal addon which may cover it. Etc. the examples can be expanded as you like, it depends on what you need.

I used to run 2 VB4 Forums both the VB4 Publishing Suite, so i did miss the 'Home' page when I first moved.
I never bothered with a CMS Home page on Xenforo, just kinda got use to it without.
I think i got most of the addons I needed after i moved and never looked back.
Xenforo is far superior than VB.....

I'm not running any add-ons or anything I can't live without. Just core forum use. I do have the publishing suite but never used it beyond forums. Just want to make sure "control" of the forums such as permissions, moderation, notifications, etc. has no "feature loss" in this transition. User's are very accustomed to vB and I have a slight concern with a switch to XF2 as it's even confused me at times. It's different.

"control" of the forums such as permissions, moderation, notifications, etc. has no "feature loss" in this transition
I'd say you've got a lot more control of permissions than with VB4...
It's a bit of a learning thing with the permissions for users, user groups and nodes (forums as we know from vb) but read around and ask and all comes clear...I found it very useful I could do so much individual permission stuff with say just one user...

User's are very accustomed to vB and I have a slight concern with a switch to XF2 as it's even confused me at times. It's different.
I was the same, I was concerned fro myself and my members, and it took me a long time to go for it, but it was well worth it in the end to get away from a rotting VB software..
After moving my members loved it, I moved it, and that was that..
Everything takes time to get used to, but I don't think you or your members would regret the switch to XF2..

I'm not running any add-ons or anything I can't live without. Just core forum use.
In that case you have nothing to worry about. Everything is better with XF2. You and your users will love it. I say this because there are a lot of forums which switched from vb to xf and I don't remember anyone not having a positive boost.
Just read the manual for the start, play with the demo and before you make the switch, when you purchased the software, make a test installation on your own personal computer (XAMPP for example) to prepare everything and then go live.

Top Bottom