What Do You Have A Degree In?

Vicky

And are you using that degree as your career?

I ask this because I have a degree in Applied Biology majored in Microbiology and have done nothing with it....somehow I veered so far off course and ended up in retail management O_o

Do I think it was a waste of 4 years? No I believe any education isnt a waste but thats just me how about you?

• Business Management
  • Computer Science
I sometimes thing it was a waste and other times feel as though I have no regrets.

Let me ask you this, is it as boring as they say it is? The computer Science building at my Uni was opposite the Science one and they were all so serious you have no idea how rowdy Science majors can be. We look sweet, innocent and quiet but behind closed doors we are nasty LOL

Let me ask you this, is it as boring as they say it is? The computer Science building at my Uni was opposite the Science one and they were all so serious you have no idea how rowdy Science majors can be. We look sweet, innocent and quiet but behind closed doors we are nasty LOL
College wasn't easy for me.

To be very blunt, I came from a low income family, didn't qualify for grants or student loans, and didn't want to rack up a large debit. So I worked my a** off both at school and at work (full-time job). The reward was I was able to get 2 degrees at the same time, but without any student loans. The down side is I don't think I got to enjoy it as much as everyone else I knew, which really sucked because I wanted to enjoy that time.

So I'm not the idea example of the typical college student...... With this said.... Once I achieved that goal.... P-a-r-t-why ? Because I got`ta ;)

Computer Science. 4 year.

Degrees are good for education. They are not good for getting jobs. A lot of people think that a degree entitles them to a job. Not so much.

College wasn't easy for me.

To be very blunt, I came from a low income family, didn't qualify for grants or student loans, and didn't want to rack up a large debit. So I worked my a** off both at school and at work (full-time job). The reward was I was able to get 2 degrees at the same time, but without any student loans. The down side is I don't think I got to enjoy it as much as everyone else I knew, which really sucked because I wanted to enjoy that time.

So I'm not the idea example of the typical college student...... With this said.... Once I achieved that goal.... P-a-r-t-why ? Because I got`ta ;)

Nothing wrong with being responsible in my eyes. I commend you more than anything for not succumbing to that party lifestyle that college is notorious for.

Computer Science. 4 year.

Degrees are good for education. They are not good for getting jobs. A lot of people think that a degree entitles them to a job. Not so much.
These days you can have a multitude of degrees but what they want is experience. Its like a double edge sword.

These days you can have a multitude of degrees but what they want is experience. Its like a double edge sword.

Employers are partly to blame, not just graduates. Employers are increasingly hiring for existing skill sets. They don't want to train employees, and they don't care about an employee's ability to learn new skills.

I once saw the owner of a tech company complain that he can't find qualified graduates because Computer Science education doesn't train students in the Facebook API. That guy is a tard. He clearly doesn't understand the nature of CS education. And he is confusing training with teaching. Schools teach. Employers train (or trade schools). Know your role.

Employers are partly to blame, not just graduates. Employers are increasingly hiring for existing skill sets. They don't want to train employees, and they don't care about an employee's ability to learn new skills.

I once saw the owner of a tech company complain that he can't find qualified graduates because Computer Science education doesn't train students in the Facebook API. That guy is a tard. He clearly doesn't understand the nature of CS education. And he is confusing training with teaching. Schools teach. Employers train (or trade schools). Know your role.

Its simply comes down to being lazy, although they might say they dont have the time. Bullocks if you ask me. Even with experience every workplace is different so essentially some type of training is necessary. These employers I think tend to forget what it was like when they were starting out. People need to have more faith and trust they would be amazed at what one can accomplish just with those two things in place.

But it comes down to the old saying "Time is money" and the time spent to train someone they would rather have someone in place already.

My degree is in BS-ology from the Oxfurd School of Blathering.
I'm very proud to say that I topped the Dean's List all 4 years of study. My GPA was 1.7
I will be pursuing my masters and eventually my doctorate in the coming years...
curtsey.gif

J.

My first job.... I completely lied on the application.

Why?

No one would hire you unless you had experience. But you can't get that experience without first having a job. Catch 22, no?

I ended up becoming manager and in time became the boss of my boss. Not bad for someone who originally "on paper" was no one.

Its simply comes down to being lazy

Yeah pretty much. It's also the sign of a bad company. When they can't offer you training it essentially means they have nothing to offer. Those tend to be the companies with the big ideas but no means to implement.

"I have this great idea that will make tons of money! I just need some one to make it happen! I will provide the idea, you will do the work, and I will capitalize on your labor!

...oh what? Your school didn't train you in my idea? Well your school sucks then."

:confused:

My first job.... I completely lied on the application.

Why?

No one would hire you unless you had experience. But you can't get that experience without first having a job. Catch 22, no?

I ended up becoming manager and in time became the boss of my boss. Not bad for someone who originally "on paper" was no one.

These days you have to lie to a certain degree you know. I'm glad in the end it worked out for you though lol

Degrees these days are an elimination criterion, not a selection criterion. Jobs ask for x or y degree to eliminate all those potential applicants who would not be having those degrees. Selection happens on the basis of experience and existing skill set or perhaps a brand name attached to your resume (your college, previous employer or perhaps your connections).

Degrees these days are an elimination criterion, not a selection criterion. Jobs ask for x or y degree to eliminate all those potential applicants who would not be having those degrees. Selection happens on the basis of experience and existing skill set or perhaps a brand name attached to your resume (your college, previous employer or perhaps your connections).

True although I truly believe that these days its all in the interview. The person next to me could be the perfect candidate for the job than me, but if I know how to sell myself in the best possible way, and show that I am the one they want, I am the asset not some Joe Blow with the experience they will hire me because I have convinced them. Many suck at interviewing and they dont know how cause they dont know how to sell themselves in the right way.

The whole thing is a sad situation when you have employer and employee both lying to each other and judging each other based on very superficial labels and measures. The employer only cares about a degree, title, brands on your resume, etc. The employee only cares about money and benefits. Complete and total disconnection from what really matters.

Top Bottom