What are you listening to?

One of the best versions of one of the best songs ever written. If the hairs on your arms aren't standing up by the last verse you are probably already dead.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Normal - Warm Letherette (1978)

My own set because I decided to be a DJ instead of a programmer. haha

Currently 10 minutes in and I have enjoyed this so far! Congrats on the career switch 😂

Currently 10 minutes in and I have enjoyed this so far! Congrats on the career switch 😂
Thanks... it's super lucrative. 😂

All kidding aside, it's pretty fun... and super easy if you are math-brained. Never realized how structured music is... and once you have that understanding, it's so easy. For Deep House music for example, you can loop any 16 beats at any point and it sounds perfect like you don't even know it's a loop. Music made to mix all works to the power of two...

Techno = 2 beat underlying loop
Tech House = 4 beat
House = 8 beat
Deep House = 16 beat
Progressive/Melodic House = 32 beat
etc...

It's 1% leaning what the buttons/functions do on the controller and 99% listening to tons of crap music trying to find good tracks to have in your library.

That set was 24 hours after I first touched a controller... was just screwing around... had like 50 songs I loaded into library. Now I have 2,400 loaded in (I went crazy over the summer). Time to do a new one soon I think. haha

Last edited:

Haha, well played and good track selection. I would say DJing is more about track selection and reading the energy of the people than anything else (unless you are doing it just for yourself :P). Having good taste in music helps make it easier.

Haha, well played and good track selection. I would say DJing is more about track selection and reading the energy of the people than anything else (unless you are doing it just for yourself :p). Having good taste in music helps make it easier.
Ya... my biggest crowd has been the girlfriend in the house. hahaha

It's a Pioneer XDJ-ZX... have a fun little side business, and after our last event on leap year (Feb 29) it was sitting on my dining room table. It was a new purchase right before the event, so was waiting on a storage case for it to arrive before it went into storage unit. Long story short is it sat there right when corona lockdown happened and I kept looking at it thinking, "20 million people that know how to work one of these can't all be smarter than me..." So one day out of corona boredom, I went to the storage unit to get speakers out of storage and I gave it a whirl.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

...fast forward 8 months into the future and it’s still on the dining room table, but with the case I was waiting on now. Hah

A806D5B4-0BE6-4F72-B842-29BF4BE47B6E.webp

Last edited:
Love it! Got the same case but for a different setup. About two years ago (before DJ livestreams became the norm) I was doing a DJ livestream show for free (https://www.youtube.com/whiskedbeats) showing off a lot of Costa Rican DJs. I actually played once too:

I find it a lot of fun to DJ and select the songs I love and feel like the public is going to enjoy as much as I do. It is really not that hard and you can add a lot of other things to make it a little more complex and unique if you wanted to. Or look at learning to produce some music.

Nice! Looks like you have nicer equipment than I do. I've been drooling over the CDJ-3000s that came out recently because they do a lot of the stuff I find myself wishing I could do on my unit. But ya... not a DJ, can't really justify that. We got the unit we have just to save DJs from having to lug their equipment to our events... but the CDJ-3000 does some awesome stuff! hah

Top Bottom