What a cheesy topic!

Hyperion

So what kind of cheese do you guys like, if you like cheese? Are you the guy who thinks that mild cheese is the way to go, or the guy who thinks the stronger the cheese the better?

Ever tried Parmigiano-Reggiano on your spaghetti, or do you just shake out the contents of that green Kraft Parmesan container?

Is your idea of cheese just American singles that are put on sandwiches, or are you one of those hardcore cheese fans who go to cheese shops and fret over what wine to pair them with and how to properly preserve whole wheels in your fridge for weeks?

Can you do without ever having cheese in your life, or do you scour the monasteries and cafes searching for the perfect Brie?

I am not the hardcore cheese fan (or so I think), but I have taken an interest and have been trying whichever ones I find. What I know so far is that I like the mild ones like muenster, the nuttier and firmer Gouda, and the creamier Port-Salut.

Also, I absolutely love the raw milk mild cheddar with Triscuit crackers.

For everyday cheese usage just a simple mild cheddar - Cathedral City normally, mainly because that's what my granddad always had so I grew up with it. I remember when he used to make cheese sandwiches for picnics and the cheese was nearly as thick as the bread, he'd always say that if he eats cheese he wants to taste it.

I always have a block of parmesan in the fridge ready to grate over spag bol, chilli or pasta.

Over Christmas or throughout the year when we have a special meal, I always have stilton to make a port and stilton gravy to have with beef - Epic.

That's about it for my cheese eating life, with the exception of cheese and crackers on the odd occasion.

We usually have at least five different cheeses in the house; the UK and Turkey both have very long histories when it comes to cheese.

About the only cheese I can't eat is blue cheese - the taste of the mould is too strong for me.

What I do like is a very, very strong cheddar, so strong it makes your gums itch.

Always have Parmigiano-Reggiano on hand. Always save the rinds too. I'll let them simmer in water for about 4 hours and then you can use the water for a dozen different recipes. A good pantry complement to it is Pecorino Romano. Think of it as Pecorino Romano/Parmigiano-Reggiano = Olive Oil/Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Good vs. great; everyday vs. special.

Always have some cheddar too. I'm partial to an extra sharp Vermont white.

You can't live in Texas without Pepperjack.

Gotta have Feta for a feta-spinach omelette.

Blue cheese as an accompaniment to steak and burgers - beef, blue cheese and bacon - the burger threesome.

Buffalo mozzarella, or homemade if I have the time.

Provolone for sandwiches and subs is a must.

Usually have a brie for crashing out by the fire pit or hot tub. Speaking of which, Kerrigold Dubliner, smoked salmon and 18-yr Jameson - it doesn't get much better than that.

And I like to add Gruyere to homemade mac & cheese. It doesn't stretch like mozzarella, its more like a clinginess - bad in women, good in cheese!

There's a gourmet food store in Dallas called Central Market (HEB family) that has a cheese area as large as the meat department in most grocery stores, with a cheese steward on duty who can answer questions and make recommendations.

Two things to ALWAYS avoid in cheese -

1. Anything "individually wrapped"
2. Low fat/non-fat cheese

Why? Because neither are cheese. The first is a collection of chemicals and substances to extrude a cheese-flavored substance that should be an affront to all mankind, or at least anyone with a drop of Italian or French blood in them. The second is closer to plastic than cheese. Melts wrong, tastes wrong, has the wrong texture.

It is better to have good cheese in moderation, than to have greater consumption of a wrap, lifeless, cheese imitator.

I like strong mature Lancashire or Cheshire (crumbly) cheese. I like putting it also in baked beans and melting it in with them, but it needs to be (crumbly) cheese to do it, not the rubber type cheese. I call it cheesy beans.

I like strong mature Lancashire or Cheshire (crumbly) cheese. I like putting it also in baked beans and melting it in with them, but it needs to be (crumbly) cheese to do it, not the rubber type cheese. I call it cheesy beans.
Mmmm cheesy beans.

I had the pleasure of discovering the Spanish sheep cheese Manchego a few days ago. It has similar firmness as the Parmigiano-Reggiano, but is more buttery and fruity. I eat it alone as a snack. Heh.

Top Bottom