Well looks like my computer is finally dead...

You shouldn't have a problem with my post either by your logic. Nothing I said was overly disrespectful, I just pointed out my view, having been in the situation (And I'm sure almost every other designer or developer has been in such at one point or another).
About people having it in their signatures, I have signatures turned off so I don't see that, but it would generally be along the lines of 'If you like my mod/design, and feel like donating, click here', which is much different than requesting donations for nothing.
There was two parts to this thread. One asking for donations, the other asking for recommendations for a new computer. It's his thread and he's not posting it in every thread like a signature would be viewed in.

I'm buying a new house this summer, can I request donations :rolleyes:.
You sure as hell can. Although, buying a computer to help support the add-ons that you build for this community for free is a LOT different than you buying your house that none of us can live in.

There was two parts to this thread. One asking for donations, the other asking for recommendations for a new computer. It's his thread and he's not posting it in every thread like a signature would be viewed in.

You sure as hell can. Although, buying a computer to help support the add-ons that you build for this community for free is a LOT different than you buying your house that none of us can live in.

Actually I read his message and was a little bit peeved. Why?
Right now I'm using a 7 year old POS Dell laptop that my friend dumped on me a few years back. Either way, I won't be responding to anyone's messages anytime soon as I need to build a new computer.

He says he won't be responding to anyone's messages anytime soon yet on the 7 year POS Dell laptop he could post his original message. If he can post a new thread/post from the 7 year old laptop then surely he can reply to those users who have and haven't donated for his addons? Educate me...

Don't get me wrong, once my forum goes live I will donate but his original post came across as a "you need to donate or else tough". Your mileage may vary.

Actually I read his message and was a little bit peeved. Why?

He says he won't be responding to anyone's messages anytime soon yet on the 7 year POS Dell laptop he could post his original message. If he can post a new thread/post from the 7 year old laptop then surely he can reply to those users who have and haven't donated for his addons? Educate me...
Think of how much time that might take on an old, slow computer.

Don't get me wrong, once my forum goes live I will donate but his original post came across as a "you need to donate or else tough". Your mileage may vary.
I didn't read it like that at all.

For a durable and highly portable system, it's hard to do too much better than the MacBook Pro (the new Thunderbolt I/O port is pretty freaking sick at 10 Gbps, though the peripherals are just rolling out it would go a ways towards future-proofing), the build quality is much better than the vast majority of laptops out there.

With the need to run other cards though... I'm afraid I'm not as deep into the hardware side as I used to be, and most of my info is old. The Shuttle (type) systems are where I would have started looking too, though they don't currently seem to support USB3. Are you looking exclusively at building your own box or are you looking at per-built systems as well? There's quite a few mobile gaming systems that would probably work well.

I've donated a tiny bit to some modders here because I appreciate their work. Whether they ask for it everywhere or not is not my concern because I am using the products they put time and effort into for free. Whether they take whatever meager amount I can put together to show them my appreciation for a new computer or a pack of cigarettes is completely up to them. Also, good luck on getting a new computer Jaxel. Unfortunately I'm not all that good when it comes to PC specs unless we're talking about powerful gaming rig towers.

My computer was 3 years old (right before the Core i# line came out)... and I guess the constantly streaming weekly Break tournaments for SSF4 and MVC3 finally put it down... I never really built the thing for transport, so I guess it just couldn't handle it. Right now I'm using a 7 year old POS Dell laptop that my friend dumped on me a few years back. Either way, I won't be responding to anyone's messages anytime soon as I need to build a new computer. So of course, if anyone is willing to donate to help me pay for this new computer, that would be awesome! http://www.8wayrun.com/xenforo/

Also, I want to know people's recommendations for a new computer. Basically, the computer will be in transit a lot, so I'm probably going to have to go with a Micro ATX form factor. I also want to future proof this system as much as possible, so the more usb3.0 ports the better... I also prefer Intel over AMD. Basically, all I need to know is what Motherboard to get; if I could find a Micro ATX mobo with onboard USB3.0, that would be awesome, but so far, no luck.

I also heard about a recent recall for Intel's Sandybridge processor line. How will this affect me at this point?

Don't forget to donate! http://www.8wayrun.com/xenforo/ :eek:

So umm.. Jaxel? What are your requirements? What did you want to do with it? How often do you plan on traveling with it? Approximately how long do you want to future proof it?

Sandybridge - don't worry about it. Recalls happened, but the error has since been fixed.

Thanks for the help guys... after some analyzing, I've figured out what happened. The raid controller on my mobo blew last night, and took out my hard drives with it... even the ones that werent part of a raid array. So with 4 dead hard drives and a mobo that is obviously failing, it looks like I'm out of luck with this computer. I ran to best buy and bought a third party raid controller and a new drive to tide me over until I get a new computer... but for now, it looks like I'll be spending the next 4 days recovering from the crash.

So umm.. Jaxel? What are your requirements? What did you want to do with it? How often do you plan on traveling with it? Approximately how long do you want to future proof it?

Sandybridge - don't worry about it. Recalls happened, but the error has since been fixed.
I run weekly tournaments for video games... so it needs high definition video capture and broadcasting (I use a BlackMagic and Wirecast)... To me, it looks like the majority of hardware I'm looking into is moving to USB3.0... so four USB3.0 ports would probably be all the future proofing I need. Unfortunately, at this point I have yet to find a single microATX mobo with more than two USB3.0 ports.

You need 4 completely separate buses for the bandwidth? 2 USB3 ports (5 Gbps) would be a ton more than 4 USB2 (480 Mbps), I'm sure you know that... Just trying to confirm that you really need THAT much bandwidth. Not sure what the mobo bus speed to the USB ports themselves is (are the usb ports on separate or shared bus?) either, or if that would be a bottleneck.

You need 4 completely separate buses for the bandwidth? 2 USB3 ports (5 Gbps) would be a ton more than 4 USB2 (480 Mbps), I'm sure you know that... Just trying to confirm that you really need THAT much bandwidth. Not sure what the mobo bus speed to the USB ports themselves is (are the usb ports on separate or shared bus?) either, or if that would be a bottleneck.
Oh definately. At the moment, I would need 2 if I go the microATX route... another 2 would be for future proofing. HD video takes about 5Gbps at 720p, but you need a little extra for buffer protecting from hiccups and frame droppage.

Also, I want to know people's recommendations for a new computer. Basically, the computer will be in transit a lot, so I'm probably going to have to go with a Micro ATX form factor. I also want to future proof this system as much as possible, so the more usb3.0 ports the better... I also prefer Intel over AMD. Basically, all I need to know is what Motherboard to get; if I could find a Micro ATX mobo with onboard USB3.0, that would be awesome, but so far, no luck.
1. ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX Motherboard with 2 USB 3.0 ports
  • ROG Connect, Real-time system tuning at the hardware level
  • Memory standard DDR3 2200, Upto 24GB
  • 2 - PCIe 2.0 X16 with CrossFireX and SLI Technology support (support dual X16)
  • CPU Level Up - A simple click for instant performance upgrade!
  • SupremeFX X-Fi 2 Onboard - Ultra-Real Cinematic In-Game Surround Sound!
  • True USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s Support - Experience ultra-fast data transfers
2. Buffalo Technology DriveStation SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCI Express 2-Port Interface Card

Oh definately. At the moment, I would need 2 if I go the microATX route... another 2 would be for future proofing. HD video takes about 5Gbps at 720p, but you need a little extra for buffer protecting from hiccups and frame droppage.

Say whut? n/m I don't need to know, but didn't understand a word of that.

I'd guess that your going to be looking at one of the mobo's (several listed above) that have both 2 USB3 ports and an extra PCIe2 slot then putting a PCIe2 USB3 card in to provide the extra two ports.

Thunderbolt would be a better option, but it's unclear what the cost of the peripherals is going to be, or when mobos will start appearing that support it. Still... The ability to attach Gigabit Ethernet, FireWire, Fibre Channel high def video, and good old fashioned USB all through the same port is pretty impressive esp since it carries 10W of power. Given that it's an Intel initiative (http://www.intel.com/technology/io/thunderbolt/index.htm) as much as Apple, it stands a reasonable chance of making it, and if it gets widely adopted it would be a lot more future proof than USB3, since FWICT Thunderbolt can attach to everything USB3 can, but the reverse is not true.

Top Bottom