Well I won't be upgrading again

That debug switch is too tempting for some, it seems. Perhaps it should be yanked and if you REALLY need to turn debug mode on, slap a line in your config.php file.
The debug switch is an add-on I created that is very useful to some people. It shouldn't be yanked. People should instead be more careful. Ultimately you can put all sorts of barriers in the way, people will still find a way to get round them and break something.

Well, i´ve not read every Post in here now, but why dont use the "Template Modification System" for you changes? With this Great Addon its easy to rebuild the changes with a newer xf version.

I am using it for all my changes except CSS that i can add to extra.css.
For me it works, this way, perfect. An Upgrade to a newer xenforo version is more ore less a 10 Minutes Thingie

The beauty about xenforo is actually how easy it is to update things and apply updates to templates. On one board I have 69 addons installed nothing broke after upgrading.

My suggestion is to get rid all of the template edits (outside extra.css) and work with TMS (Template Modification System) if you have.

I don't use the debug mode unless I need to change a particular setting or use a feature from it, if not then it gets disabled as default and I certainly wouldn't edit core xF files. I think many of the issues I had were to do with skinning. The only reason I decided to reinstall the style is because the update said many areas had been changed and I was worried about it breaking functionality. If those had not been changes then I wouldn't have bothered touching the style.

Not seeing that any where in the category. Is there a particular reason you are calling each category in the CSS instead of just using something like

Code:
.nodeList .categoryStrip
{
    background: #515151;
}

instead of

Code:
.node.category.level_1.node_3 .categoryText, .node.category.level_1.node_55 .categoryText, .node.category.level_1.node_96 .categoryText, .node.category.level_1.node_117 .categoryText, .node.category.level_1.node_122 .categoryText, .node.category.level_1.node_147 .categoryText, .node.category.level_1.node_171 .categoryText, .node.category.level_1.node_252 .categoryText, .node.category.level_1.node_207 .categoryText {
padding: 15px 12px;

Each node has a different background image on the right hand side, it seemed like the best way of doing it at the time.

Here's an example but this no longer works and I can't figure out why - it's the exact same code I used before.

Code:
.node.category.level_1.node_3 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_55 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_96 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_117 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_122 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_147 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_171 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_252 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_207 .categoryText
{
}

.node.category.level_1.node_160 .categoryText
{
background: #c60000;
}

.catImage3
{
    background: url(http://vondroid.com/site-img/vnodes/welcome.png);;
    float: right;
    width: 120px;
    height: 47px;
    margin-top:-16px;margin-right:-14px;
}

.catImage117
{
    background: url(http://vondroid.com/site-img/vnodes/tablet.png) !important;
    float: right !important;
    width: 120px !important;
    height: 47px !important;
    margin-top:-16px !important;
        margin-right:-14px !important;
}

That's the messy version, there's a minified version I've made.

Al these changes can be added into extra.css. Thats what it is for.
If you want to change the Template directly use "Template Modification System"

Well, i´ve not read every Post in here now, but why dont use the "Template Modification System" for you changes? With this Great Addon its easy to rebuild the changes with a newer xf version.

I am using it for all my changes except CSS that i can add to extra.css.
For me it works, this way, perfect. An Upgrade to a newer xenforo version is more ore less a 10 Minutes Thingie

Same here. The only funky stuff I noticed during the last upgrade was old template edits I simply overlooked before.

TMS is a blessing, and if I ever manage to figure out how I can use it to change some of the style properties directly, I'll be even happier with it.

I have no idea why 99% of the people who run debug mode have it enabled.

It simply is not required unless you are developing.

I think we need that setting to be broken down

For example, we have more than 1 administrator at my forum, and it is really useful that everybody can see how long the page took to generate and how many queries it is attempting. Sadly, sometimes there are addons that add 80+ queries to every single page and take the CPU usage up by 100%, so having eyes on those numbers IS useful.

However, debug mode also enables people to edit the master style, master language, admin templates, etc, which is absolutely not the point. And I would either need to communicate "even though you see this, do not edit it", or enable and disable debug as needed (like, just after installing one add-on).

Plus, if I remember correctly "debug mode" triggers some special setting like the explain plan for queries. (it sets the profiler on, on the Zend page). Which is horrible, because then it becomes misleading. I hope this makes sense:
Page without profiling loads in n seconds
Page with profiling, loads in n+m seconds
With debug mode, you see the load time (n+m), there is no way of seeing the load time WITHOUT the profiling (n). The load time is permanently misleading.

I have even considered hacking into whatever drives the display for processing time and queries, to make that show all the time, since that is the only bit I need of debug mode in production.

You should be doing all of that in a dev/test environment surely?

There is no way I would install an add-on without first testing it to death.

You should be doing all of that in a dev/test environment surely?

There is no way I would install an add-on without first testing it to death.

How do you see how an Addon scales with 1000s of users in a test environment? The real problems only happen on a live site...

which is the reason why we need more options in ACP.

You want to speak to Bobster65. He gave me a one line template edit that totally richified my admincp, and totally transformed it and now I can batch upload smilies, do sub forum grids and a hundred other features that should be core.

I may not be entirely telling the truth.

Each node has a different background image on the right hand side, it seemed like the best way of doing it at the time.

Here's an example but this no longer works and I can't figure out why - it's the exact same code I used before.

Code:
.node.category.level_1.node_3 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_55 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_96 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_117 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_122 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_147 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_171 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_252 .categoryText,
.node.category.level_1.node_207 .categoryText
{
}

.node.category.level_1.node_160 .categoryText
{
background: #c60000;
}

.catImage3
{
    background: url(http://vondroid.com/site-img/vnodes/welcome.png);;
    float: right;
    width: 120px;
    height: 47px;
    margin-top:-16px;margin-right:-14px;
}

.catImage117
{
    background: url(http://vondroid.com/site-img/vnodes/tablet.png) !important;
    float: right !important;
    width: 120px !important;
    height: 47px !important;
    margin-top:-16px !important;
        margin-right:-14px !important;
}

That's the messy version, there's a minified version I've made.
I suggest you to send the previous backup of your board to somebody of XF staff so they can analyse the things you are referring to. This may be your mistake

Unless I've missed something somewhere I don't see why upgrading to a small release 1.1.3 -> 1.1.4 resets every addon setting and more or less destroys my forum. I've spent the last 2 hours redoing everything.
Uh... I think you must have something setup weird or something.

I have 52 addons installed in my setup, and not a single one reset or had any problems with the upgrade.

Hell, I didn't even bother doing a test run or a pre-upgrade backup. Total down time for us was about 1 minute.

Uh... I think you must have something setup weird or something.

I have 52 addons installed in my setup, and not a single one reset or had any problems with the upgrade.

Hell, I didn't even bother doing a test run or a pre-upgrade backup. Total down time for us was about 1 minute.
I had an identical experience. A 1-minute upgrade, nothing broken.

Then again, I am terribly strict with a "no-main-template-edits", "no-file-edits" policy.

All is done through hooks and extending the controllers and views. I had to workaround through a couple of things but for most part if one adheres to that philosophy the upgrade is straightforward.

Top Bottom