Well I won't be upgrading again

Ok let's see here is my list of things to have in mind when upgrading XenForo:
  • Never ever edit core .php files
  • do not edit master template (only visible in debug mode)
  • do not edit master language (only visible in debug mode)
  • If you add customization to your template do all edits in a child template style so all your edits will remain after you update your style :)
  • Do css Edits only to EXTRA.css and not in all the other .css files
  • I recommend to use TMS for all template modifications so nothing will be overwritten if you update and you will have a protocol of all your template edits
Since I do respect all of this mentioned points i NEVER had ANY issues when upgrading XenForo!

Benny

Why and what would you export and reimport?

Languages ?
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-upgrade-a-language-pack.47733/#post-512081

As with any other work involving your database, if you want peace of mind and in case of a failure, take a backup first.

.... and now a shocking question for you guys: :)

Is there any easier way to "make a backup" than to fiddle around with "phpMyAdmin" or any other stuff like that ?
e.g. just clicking one button in ACP which says "Backup" ?

:coffee:

Is there any easier way to "make a backup" than to fiddle around with "phpMyAdmin" or any other stuff like that ?

Yeah, bash or perl scripts that rsync your whole site, and drop/compress/upload your database to the same offsite location.

I use mysqldumper with a cron job. So my database do a backup every night and stores 10 versions of my database as backups. Additionally a do a full backup of my vServer every night which stores 15 images of my whole server also as a cron job.

So I must not remember to backup because it es done automatically. Before upgrading my XenForo which I do following steps:
  • close my forum
  • login via ssh
  • do a backup via ssh all forum and mysql dump
  • upgrade XenForo vis ssh
  • run the upgrade script
  • open my forum again
So this is way faster and better than doing a backup via admincp
Benny

Yeah, bash or perl scripts that rsync your whole site, and drop/compress/upload your database to the same offsite location.

yeah, I know Perl is better and faster than PHP :p ...but the coders on the internet moved in to the wrong direction ;)

But I am talking of the ability to make things easier for webmasters.

I use mysqldumper with a cron job. So my database do a backup every night and stores 10 versions of my database as backups. Additionally a do a full backup of my vServer every night which stores 15 images of my whole server also as a cron job.

So I must not remember to backup because it es done automatically. Before upgrading my XenForo which I do following steps:
  • close my forum
  • login via ssh
  • run the upgrade script
  • open my forum again
Benny

lots of webmasters have no idea of what SSH or mysql dumb even means.......

cPanel makes it very easy for users to back up their own sites. And while I do a full server backup each night, I always recommend to the users on the server to do their own backups as well. Unfortunately, user backups are stored locally on the server, so they have to be downloaded by the user and then removed off the server. For the purpose of a quick site backup in preparation for an upgrade, the cPanel method would work very well and the backup file would be in place for emergencies without having to bother the server admin.

• close my forum
  • login via ssh
  • run the upgrade script
  • open my forum again

Benny
mysqldumper!?

have you tried sypexdumper? it's much better and faster! :)

I'm sorry, its sypexdumper. Check its website and you will see all the features. While mysqldumper takes 10 minutes to do a backup, sypexdumper takes 3 minutes

Unless I've missed something somewhere I don't see why upgrading to a small release 1.1.3 -> 1.1.4 resets every addon setting and more or less destroys my forum. I've spent the last 2 hours redoing everything.

It didn't for me...

A couple of specific questions:

1) Why does upgrading reset ALL edited files throughout xF?
2) Why does upgrading reset ALL language phrases?

1) That isn't anything to do with XF in particular. In fact, any upgrade of any software, including IPB, is going to require you to overwrite files with new ones. Hopefully you've learned the valuable lesson of keeping your READMEs on hand, and/or noting the changes to make in a changes record file.
2) Again, didn't for me.

Another reason for me to move to IPB.

Good luck with that!

I'm lucky that my host automatically creates 3x complete site backups per day. Last time I had a bit of an issue (Stupidly managed to accidentally delete the wrong Sql database - oops! - it was 3am and i really shouldnt have been doing stuff when half asleep!) I lost 2 hours of posts and fixed just by re-creating the DB and re-importing the last backup.

As for moving to IPB - Been there - done that - wasted a week of my life in the process... Luckily I didn't ACTUALLY move to it (Test board)...

It didn't for me...

1) That isn't anything to do with XF in particular. In fact, any upgrade of any software, including IPB, is going to require you to overwrite files with new ones. Hopefully you've learned the valuable lesson of keeping your READMEs on hand, and/or noting the changes to make in a changes record file.
2) Again, didn't for me.

Good luck with that!

I didn't realise a rant, for which I've apologized, would bring out the arse in people.

Top Bottom