Well I won't be upgrading again

As you can see, http://vondroid.com I've managed to get most edits back. I think the rant is more about the way xF handles upgrades. I'm seriously going to go AFK now before I get banned for shouting and swearing.
Can you be a little bit more specific about what edits you lost?
  • Template edits. Were these edits made directly on the Master Style?
  • Phrase edits. Were these edits made directly on the Master Language?
  • Code changes. Have you directly modified XenForo files?
If you've answered yes to one or more of the above then you yourself are to blame and you should only be shouting and swearing at yourself.

I've got to add my voice to the ones saying upgrading has never been an issue. So long as you don't edit the masters of anything, you should be fine. File edits should be avoided whenever possible - but if you must do them, keep a note of which files you've edited, how and why so that you can re-add the changes once you've upgraded. When I upgrade, I've found it takes longer to upload the files than it does to make sure my styles are updated :D

Reactions: Kim
If you've answered yes to one or more of the above then you yourself are to blame and you should only be shouting and swearing at yourself.

Why do you consider using EXTRA.css and Style Properties to be backwards?

This is exactly what they are for - to avoid situations like this.

I will shout and swear at myself. The edits were done when I first started out with xF. I've made a few templates to start selling and have done it the correct way. I wish more documentation existed with regards to classes.

I find doing most things easier on xF but am dubious about converting my other forums yet due to a range of problems other people have previously mentioned and core features which I think are missing.

I don't mind using extra.css, I use it quite extensively and probably use it more than i should. Paint me backwards. :p

Jokery aside. I'm betting alot of the edits you made could have been done via css but as I said before upgrading styles has been one of the strong points of xenforo on how quick and painless it's been to do.

This thread is just confusing me now, since I thought upgrading was just uploading the new files, following the instructions, then reverting modified templates, finally putting back in any custom template changes I made.

What's all this stuff about template edits and phrase edits and the "master" version? Do I need to worry about this?

I only have one style and one language on my forum, the ones it came with, to which I have applied, via the ACP, modifications to the style properties, changed some templates, and changed a few phrases (such as the board terms). Please don't tell me these will all be lost in an upgrade? I have only ever edited stuff in the ACP using the options provided. With the exception of one core file edit to the code, which I know will be overwritten during upgrade.

If you don't have debug mode enabled, have never edited any master templates nor phrases, nor server files, then you don't need to worry.

Just continue with how you have been doing it, which is the correct way.

This thread is just confusing me now, since I thought upgrading was just uploading the new files, following the instructions, then reverting modified templates, finally putting back in any custom template changes I made.

What's all this stuff about template edits and phrase edits and the "master" version? Do I need to worry about this?

I only have one style and one language on my forum, the ones it came with, to which I have applied, via the ACP, modifications to the style properties, changed some templates, and changed a few phrases (such as the board terms). Please don't tell me these will all be lost in an upgrade? I have only ever edited stuff in the ACP using the options provided. With the exception of one core file edit to the code, which I know will be overwritten during upgrade.

Nothing confusing about it. Upgrading is a painless process. I don't know what the OP did but I have extensively modified styles and still had 5 custom styles upgraded within 5-10 minutes.I know of many people in the same situation so unsure why this would be a difficult handle to grasp and why the op had a bad experience with it.

Reactions: Kim
Shelley were your styles additional styles to the default one? I only have one style and one language, which I have made changes to:

Screen shot 2013-04-03 at 12.12.33.webp

Screen shot 2013-04-03 at 12.12.42.webp

I think from another thread linked to above I should be making phrase changes in a child language (eg. "My phrases") rather than editing English (US)?

What about styles - should I have left Default Style alone and done all my changes on a different style?

I guess what I asking is, should ALL edits be made on a user created (or child) style and language, never on the default ones?

They are uniquely, newly created custom styles. (I just deleted a few last night) it was actually 6 custom styles i upgraded.

styles-list.webp

I have one style and one language and edit those directly.

They inherit from the master style and language so all you need to do is revert and re-edit when required.

As Brogan says, you're doing everything correct.

The Default Style and English (US) Language will never be overwritten by an upgrade.

If you had Debug mode enabled, you would also see "Master Style" and "Master Language".

The Master Style and Master Language ARE overwritten during upgrades. But you won't need to worry about that.

As Brogan says, you're doing everything correct.

The Default Style and English (US) Language will never be overwritten by an upgrade.

If you had Debug mode enabled, you would also see "Master Style" and "Master Language".

The Master Style and Master Language ARE overwritten during upgrades. But you won't need to worry about that.

I have one style and one language and edit those directly.

They inherit from the master style and language so all you need to do is revert and re-edit when required.

So what happened with the OP? did they edit the master style?

That debug switch is too tempting for some, it seems. Perhaps it should be yanked and if you REALLY need to turn debug mode on, slap a line in your config.php file.

Thanks Brogan and Chris, phew that has put my mind at rest! Chris cheers for the explanation about the master stuff, as I never go into ACP with debug mode on I would never have seen and edited those.

Top Bottom