XF 2.1 Welcome to XenForo 2.1 / Assorted improvements

Welcome to XenForo 2.1!

We said there would be something special accompanying the final HYS in this series for XF 2.1, and here it is. This is your first opportunity to help us put the new feature set through its paces.

We also said there would be a number of other miscellaneous changes/improvements to show you, so read on for more 👇

Tempted to upgrade a live site when it comes out, but will still do a test run first. Still need an update to the content ratings add on from @Xon first though before I can do that, as I think that's the main important add on left for me that's not been claimed compatible by the author.
Not related to Xon's plugins at all (I find them to be stable and suitable for needs), but I have another major add-on that is still being allegedly developed for XF 2.0 and it is still not in a release status yet! It's held up our migration on one of my biggest forums from 1.5 to 2.0 and quite frankly, their glacial development has me disgusted with many of the third party add-ons now. If it were just a utility type thing, like those that Xon provides, it's not a big deal--we can manage. But when it is a major feature that members have used for several years, it becomes a Great Big Issue for us. We've already had to migrate from one dead XF add-on to this one...and now this one has let us down.

Which one?

I'm still holding off on the upgrade of one forum to 2.x because Son has gone AWOL and I prefer his gallery and was waiting for that. Still don't know what I'm going to do with that one as it relies white heavily on user submitted images and video and I don't fancy swapping to XFMG.

Which one?

I'm still holding off on the upgrade of one forum to 2.x because Son has gone AWOL and I prefer his gallery and was waiting for that. Still don't know what I'm going to do with that one as it relies white heavily on user submitted images and video and I don't fancy swapping to XFMG.
Honestly, in that case I would try to migrate to XFMG--the main thing is that it will always have official XF support, will always be available, etc. Sure I wish XF could do all the add-ons, but we know that can't happen. :D

My issue is with XenCentral, and I'll leave it at that. All it has done is further erode my trust in the third-party add-on community. At this point in the game, they should be having a version for XF 2.1 in beta, still not shuffling along trying to get a 2.0 compatible version released.

Honestly, in that case I would try to migrate to XFMG--the main thing is that it will always have official XF support, will always be available, etc.

This is true, at least all the core file management would be supported. It's just the browsing UI and lightbox mainly that I prefer, but that's the big bit all the users see and interact with! Maybe I'll start a job request thread to somehow add a skin to the core gallery and get the features I like from Son's implementation added.

Maybe I'll start a job request thread to somehow add a skin to the core gallery and get the features I like from Son's implementation added.
That might be a good plan. I also wonder if one of the big theme developers might take that on, as it is skinning/enhancing a solid underlying product.

I would try to do some of these mods myself, but I lost my concentration and my memory isn't so good anymore, and I quit coding several years ago because of it (well that and I was totally burnt out on it). I can still handle some minor tweaks, but it's a struggle, and it's not like the old days when I built an entire ecommerce catalog system from scratch. Configuring new cloud servers for my sites just a few months ago was a frustrating exercise, as I'd done it before but had forgotten most of it, even with notes to refer back to. Not to mention technology has changed over the years, so I had to freshen up on so much as I went along.

Lesson: don't get old. ;)

Honestly, in that case I would try to migrate to XFMG--the main thing is that it will always have official XF support, will always be available, etc. Sure I wish XF could do all the add-ons, but we know that can't happen. :D

My issue is with XenCentral, and I'll leave it at that. All it has done is further erode my trust in the third-party add-on community. At this point in the game, they should be having a version for XF 2.1 in beta, still not shuffling along trying to get a 2.0 compatible version released.
Damn, I didn't realize XenCentral wasn't XF2 compatible yet. That's going to put us in a similar situation. :(

Damn, I didn't realize XenCentral wasn't XF2 compatible yet. That's going to put us in a similar situation. :(
They have a 2.0 version in release candidate status, but it was in beta most of last year (and strangely made it to RC1 status only hours after I complained about it here). To say I'm a bit upset is an understatement. They should be on a beta of 2.1 right now. XF 2.1 has so many nice features, including a few that members have been requesting, and I can't even offer it to them. Maybe if we're lucky, it will work with 2.1 and need only minimal changes to make it compatible. I have about eight weeks to work on everything, so they have until then to decide on a plan or we'll have to start looking all over again. It's disappointing since members really like using that add-on!

Maybe if we're lucky, it will work with 2.1 and need only minimal changes to make it compatible.
For the most part, this is what we’d expect for most add-ons. There really shouldn’t be too many changes required (if any) to make an add-on XF 2.1 compatible.

Of course work is required if you want to support new 2.1 features like reactions, but there shouldn’t be many breaking changes.

Certainly worth trying at least.

For the most part, this is what we’d expect for most add-ons. There really shouldn’t be too many changes required (if any) to make an add-on XF 2.1 compatible.

Of course work is required if you want to support new 2.1 features like reactions, but there shouldn’t be many breaking changes.

For sure. 1.5 to 2.0 was pretty much like starting over with new software, although many had ample time to prepare since it had a long preview period where developers could start working on themes and add-ons ahead of time.

My hope is that since this trader rating system (works like eBay ratings) makes use of very little of the new features, and it may be just a matter of some minor template edits. It's just frustrating when a developer doesn't communicate well, and we're left in limbo.

And it doesn't help I'm super anxious to get XF 2.1 upgraded on our forums. ;) 1.5 to 2.0 didn't introduce too many new features, but 2.1 did, and even some of my staff members are quite excited by a few of these features.

This is interesting thanks for sharing. I'll keep that in mind as I check to see if the one add-on I've made so far needs any when 2.1 is official. Glad you chimed in with that.

My crystal ball says: Release Candidate will come in next two weeks, followed by stable release in the beginning of February.

Last edited:

I think I did the authy set up right, still need to test after I get framework updated to work with XF2.1 -- is there any chance there will be a "how to set up your authy" quick reference forthcoming? The link doesn't exactly take you anywhere helpful and nothing calls itself one touch. I think I figured it out .... I will be proud of myself if I did.... but for the non-tech-minded in the community a little extra bit of hand holding just to lead in the proper direction would be useful.

Thanks!

It requires development mode, rather than debug mode.
PHP:
$config['development']['enabled'] = true;
Just to reiterate posts we've made in other threads - please post new threads if you have any XF 2.1 specific questions. We aren't monitoring these threads for support questions.

Top Bottom