XF 2.1 Welcome to XenForo 2.1 / Assorted improvements

Welcome to XenForo 2.1!

We said there would be something special accompanying the final HYS in this series for XF 2.1, and here it is. This is your first opportunity to help us put the new feature set through its paces.

We also said there would be a number of other miscellaneous changes/improvements to show you, so read on for more 👇

I'm getting used to the circles in threads, but I would like the option to see the full square version on the member card and profile page as I mentioned here:

One thing that I dislike about the initial 2.0 upgrade is that the avatars are really small in the member card now. I frequently click an avatar because I want to get a better look at it. It's frustrating to then be presented with an even smaller version of the image and have to instead click through to their profile to see it. I may not want to do that if I don't want to lose my place in the the thread, or if I'm on mobile with a spotty connection.

I'd love it if they were increased in size again and high quality.

Last edited:
I don't see an issue with rounded or square avatars. Why? Because we have the option to disable/change it how we want it.

That is how features should be always. Then it isn't "hardcoded" in the software.

Remember when we could not disable trophies or profile posts in 1.x?
Now we can disable it. If people want to use it, fine, let them use it, if not, we can disable.
Just like with the new style of avatars.

But we are also users of sites with stock installs. I'm a member on dozens of XF forums, so many of the core changes will end up rolling out to sites we also have to use regularly and can't change.

That seems like something you should bring up to the site's administration and staff, to be honest.

So I message the admins of every XF forum I frequent after they upgrade to 2.x and ask them to manually fix some usability issues themselves instead of suggesting them here?

I'm just relaying my experience and frustrations with the new member card after using XF2 sites for a year now, and expressing a concern about not having and unclipped version of a users avatar visible anywhere, which is how it currently stands.

They're just suggestions, the team can take them on board or disregard them. I'm suggesting them here though because I think they're valid usability and UX issues that could do with being addressed in the core.

But we are also users of sites with stock installs. I'm a member on dozens of XF forums, so many of the core changes will end up rolling out to sites we also have to use regularly and can't change.
Well, then complain on those sites and tell those admins to switch to squared avatars. Would take them 10 seconds to do it. If it bothers you so much on those sites, complain there.
And again, any admin can do however he likes to do it. Maybe he likes the new rounded avatars?

I don't see a problem with features which can be enabled or disabled. A site owner can decide for himself, it is not rocket science. However, if we couldn't disable rounded avatars, I would start complaining too, like I did in the past with tons of other features. This one doesn't require it.

The member card is a different topic. That one was changed drastically in 2.x. I also find it annoying that the current member card shows us a smaller avatar and we have no option to change that. But well. It is a minor thing. Is it annoying? Yes. But we can't have anything, I think other stuff needs more "polishing" than the member card. The priority is very low for me.

Yikes, I'm only trying to provide feedback relevant to the conversation since we were talking about avatars.

I've even said I don't mind the circles, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to not be able to view the full square version anywhere as it may frustrate people who are trying to find a full version of the un cropped image to view.

I posted about the member card because it's a closely related topic, and something which has bothered me on all XF2.0 sites I use compared to their XF1 counterparts.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I just wanted to say that in general, if a feature gives us the option to enable/disable it, then that is all I am asking. Any owner can decide for himself if he wants to use it or not. That's flexible and good.

BB code and rich text editing for profile posts and comments

For some communities, profile posts are an essential factor in helping your members to engage with each other. Yet the overall experience in terms of creating this content isn't quite as advanced as, say, standard forum posts. So we thought it was time to change that :)

Creating profile posts now allows you to use the rich text editor, full BB code (and Markdown), smilies and everything that comes with it.

Profile post pages can have quite a few editors on the screen at any given time. Trying to initialise all of the rich text editors on page load would be fairly intensive, so we have added a new deferred initialisation so that we only load the editor when you click on it, as demonstrated by the above two screenshots.

Here's a completed profile post with some richer formatting:

You may notice something else slightly different here too. To comment on profile posts you previously had to click a "Comment" link in the profile post action bar.

The main issue with that is if you've got a long list of comments then you would have to scroll up to tap the Comment link. As you can see above we now have a "Write a comment..." input directly below the list of comments. Clicking this, as mentioned above, loads the editor which, again, also supports rich formatting:

In case you prefer the old approach to triggering the comment input, then we still support that too. You would just enable this style property:

While RTE is present in the profile page, other places are still showing plain text input such as the "Post your status" form in the quick member menu (shown when the user clicks his/her name in the menu bar) and under "What's new" page. In the latter case it is even more strange that one can post his/her status using plain editor, but can comment on existing statuses using RTE.

Took a while to realize that XF is asking for push permissions - and not for cookies. I would suggest a sidebar or a box in a corner or maybe another color or an icon, whatever. It's kinda in the same position as the cookie notice.

Took a while to realize that XF is asking for push permissions - and not for cookies. I would suggest a sidebar or a box in a corner or maybe another color or an icon, whatever. It's kinda in the same position as the cookie notice.
I sort of thought similar when seeing it, usually on other sites it’s either a small popup or a banner at the top of the page. I’m sure it’s easily moved though so I’m not overly concerned.

Top Bottom