Website Growth Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok reallllllyy dumb question :rolleyes:....... I need a separate database for the Wordpress right?

(sorry, I have a wp blog and I have a forum, but have never used the 2 together - I don't think.)

Separete or together it doesn't matter Peggy, unless it's not on different phisical servers you're good.

Definitely do the local posters/business card thing.

FYI: the surge in visitors after a tweet/facebook post is due to spiders. To get a count of how many people actually click-through, use a url shortener service like bit.ly

Definitely do the local posters/business card thing.

FYI: the surge in visitors after a tweet/facebook post is due to spiders. To get a count of how many people actually click-through, use a url shortener service like bit.ly
Yep I do use bit.ly

not sure why you need a WP-Blog if you can put the same content into your forums....?
Peggy wants traffic.
Google loves Wordpress and it is likely to get better hits than just regular forum posts.
Peggy: for maximum SEO goodness I think Wordpress is superior to XenPorta.

Peggy wants traffic.
Google loves Wordpress and it is likely to get better hits than just regular forum posts.
Peggy: for maximum SEO goodness I think Wordpress is superior to XenPorta.
Google loves content, not Wordpress.

If you do your content well, you'll be indexed no matter what. Its not like Wordpress gets some extra consideration when the spider indexes something.

That's good news, because I couldn't get WP do to what I wanted so I switched to Jaxel's portal.
Just waiting on a custom module.

you do not need to mess with WordPress.
Having content in your default XF-Foro will give the same effect on Google indexing your page.

There is no such thing as Google likes WordPress but does not like Forums.......

Google likes text and HTML5

Had one college guy join and posts quite a bit for the first 3 or 4 days, promised to spread the word at his college, then he's never returned. I don't know what to think about that one.

Make a new group "community leader" and offer to promote people like above to it, ego kicks ass.

ok this is great stuff, thanks folks and please keep the suggestions coming. I need all I can get.

Lots to do!
  1. Find a cheap way to make flyers.
  2. Look up area news and post it.
  3. Find something controversial and post it.
  4. TRY to get people to follow MValleyTalk on twitter so those hashtags will be useful.
  5. Promote fb page.
  6. Use Twitter's advanced search.

Does your area have a local give away newspaper, apparently ours has a zillion judging from the amount of unwanted newsprint we receive each week. You know the sort of newspaper that pretty much runs on Real Estate, not sure if that's called something else State side, adds and advertorials. If so it might be worth while contacting them to run a story, local community gets web site sort of a thing.

On 2. just post up a thread claiming OBL isn't dead, new members galore and twenty pages guaranteed. Would of course require some moderation I would imagine.

looking at my own forums, it is really very very hard to get people signing up and posting something.
I thought it was much easier running a forum..... :(

Everyone is on Facebook now and it seems to me forums are obsolete somehow.....

looking at my own forums, it is really very very hard to get people signing up and posting something.
I thought it was much easier running a forum..... :(

Depends on the niche you're targeting as well as what your community offers.

If you're basically just a community that is like everything else, without a unique service or feature, you'll probably have little to no activity as there isn't any thing to keep members on the site.

For the casual user, facebook discussions of certain topics will suffice.
But for more interested parties ... they dont want to talk with clueless Facebook users.
They want to talk to people with a similar level of interest.

If you create Content on your Forum .... you'll attract Google search engines, etc.

I'm generally creating 3 - 4 new content posts per day. Except when I have to work and night and sleep all day, like today and tomorrow. Google and yahoo spiders are on my site all day long.

On 2. just post up a thread claiming OBL isn't dead, new members galore and twenty pages guaranteed. Would of course require some moderation I would imagine.

heheh I might do that. :p

Ok I am at the point where I'm ready to get some flyers printed up.

Should I use an online flyer creator? Purchase a software? Or go to a printer?

Any suggestions?

Ok I am at the point where I'm ready to get some flyers printed up.

Should I use an online flyer creator? Purchase a software? Or go to a printer?

Any suggestions?

I was going to suggest vistaprint.com as I use them for all my business cards, but there flyers seem a bit expensive. I'd check the phone book for some local printing companies (or staples, etc) and check on their prices. Or, you can just buy some paper, pay someone to design a flyer for you and print them yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom