1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest WebP support

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by silence, Jun 21, 2013.

1. silence

silence Well-Known Member

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Incorporate in what way?

3. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I think browser support needs to pick up before software such as XenForo should implement it.

Biker likes this.
  4. silence

Avatar's mostly, maybe attachments.

5. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

Definitely. And there's no guarantee that it will become a "standard". After nearly 3 years, there still isn't much support for it.

6. Jeremy

Wait, its existed for 3 years? This is the first I've heard of it. :cautious:o_O

7. silence

"WebP is supported by a variety of tools. In addition, it is now natively supported in Google Chrome, theGoogle Chrome Frameplug-in for Internet Explorer, Opera 11.10 and Android Ice Cream Sandwich."

8. Jeremy

That has nothing to do with what I posted. However, it isn't supported on iOS (at all) or FireFox, which has quite a big market share.

9. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

Apparently there's a js shim that can be installed to support it in Firefox. Still doesn't mean it's ready for prime time and wide spread support. Personally, I think it's another Google idea that's not going to go anywhere.

Jeremy likes this.
  10. silence

heh and we know how much Apple likes Google...

11. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

If you really want something like this just use ngx_pagespeed (or mod_pagespeed) and let it take care of it automatically.

For my site, avatars are served inline in webp format to Chrome and other supported browsers, while others get optimized png/jpegs.

12. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

Hopefully this isn't another failure like APNG...