• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

WebDav Tip to save your life.

Snoozero

It is rare for me to make a thread about such a simple topic, but after spending nearly three hours fighting a plethora of webdav clients while trying to upload a single template file, I figured it just might deserve a thread of its own. So,

While editing template files for XenForo over webdav, invalid syntax will cause the file to FAIL SILENTLY WHILE SAVING (aka - no error message - nothing) with most windows webdav clients.

So, if you save your template and nothing changes on the website -- double check your <xen> syntax. Hopefully this can save someone else a headache.

The next release will show an error if WebDav cannot save the template. Unfortunately, due to the varying capabilities of WebDAV clients, I can only show a 'Forbidden' message, which is not particularly descriptive.

I do however log the full text of the last error to internal_data/webdav-error.log, which you can watch in an SSH terminal etc.

Yeah speaking of, enough playing around... I need to get a webdav client setup. Wootalyzer, as far as your experience with windows and webdav, what client would you recommend if you could only recommend one based on your experience and why if it is for more reasons than just I like it. It would help a lot before I attempt this again. I started before but got sidetracked in the middle of watching the tut video on the subject and for some reason never went back to it. (memory) Thanks ahead if you can help.

I've tried several - netdrive, webdrive, total commander, and bitkinex.

- Webdrive isn't free, and was clunky.
- Bitkinex was more complex than it needed to be.
- Total commander was almost like an operating system of its own (I wouldn't recommend it unless you're fluent in... total commander)

So, I settled on NetDrive. It's simple, you connect, and it mounts all the files as a network drive. You edit the files, save them, and they sync instantly -- assuming your xen syntax is correct...

Be aware: I'm recommending THIS NetDrive, not the old outdated one from novell.

I've tried several - netdrive, webdrive, total commander, and bitkinex.

- Webdrive isn't free, and was clunky.
- Bitkinex was more complex than it needed to be.
- Total commander was almost like an operating system of its own (I wouldn't recommend it unless you're fluent in... total commander)

So, I settled on NetDrive. It's simple, you connect, and it mounts all the files as a network drive. You edit the files, save them, and they sync instantly -- assuming your xen syntax is correct...

Be aware: I'm recommending THIS NetDrive, not the old outdated one from novell.

Thank you for this... I know what I am doing today now :)

Edit: I lied... I am doing this right now 1.24.11

Using Transmit here and mounted as a MacOS volume. Works well so far, not sure about the error thing. I'll test later.

I get 500 internal server error on any CSS files, and when any other files are edited the changes aren't reflected on the forum.

Using Transmit here and mounted as a MacOS volume. Works well so far, not sure about the error thing. I'll test later.

I highly recommend not mounting it WebDav as Disk in Transmit or worse in Finder.
You will be prone to more errors and is so much slower.

Highly recommend connect to WebDav in Transmit and simply edit the file that way :)
Or if you have Coda you can connect to WebDav directly.

I had no luck with Coda or direct editing via Transmit. Xenforo is running on a local vhost. A fresh style gets 500 internal server error on any css file. Regular files appear to accept changes, but none of it is reflected on the site.

Perhaps apache or something else on MacOS is the cause. I'm putting everything on a known-working LAMP VPS now.

I had no luck with Coda or direct editing via Transmit. Xenforo is running on a local vhost. A fresh style gets 500 internal server error on any css file. Regular files appear to accept changes, but none of it is reflected on the site.

Perhaps apache or something else on MacOS is the cause. I'm putting everything on a known-working LAMP VPS now.

Don't know if it helps you but here are my settings in Coda and Transmit

2011-03-04 12.38.55 am.webp

2011-03-04 12.39.16 am.webp

Thanks, appreciate it. The settings were along the same lines (and allowing me to edit files even). Strange.

Starting over. Something has become corrupted somewhere. I can't think of any other explanation. I went to apply the default style and it caused the forum and admin side to not process any CSS.

This is frustrating. Can you pick anything I'm doing wrong here? Fresh install. Forum and admin-side function as expected.
  1. Create new style called test (no parent)
  2. Connect with WebDAV as noted above using Transmit, enter test directory
  3. Edit breadcrumbs.css Add a quick border to something, save
  4. CSS styling on the site (for breadcrumbs) is no longer parsed, content appears un-styled.
Shouldn't this work?

Also worth noting: if I switch back to the default style, the breadcrumb section there is also not being styled.

That is correct .....

What PHP version are you using?

Do you have any of the caching on or off in MAMP Pro?

2011-03-04 01.51.45 am.webp

Top Bottom