1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Webdav on nginx...

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by speedway, Apr 22, 2013.

1. speedway

speedway Well-Known Member

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Code:
    location / {
      root    /data/www;
      client_body_temp_path  /data/client_temp;

dav_methods  PUT DELETE MKCOL COPY MOVE;

create_full_put_path  on;
      dav_access            group:rw  all:r;

limit_except  GET {
        allow  192.168.1.0/32;
        deny  all;
      }
    }
    Is the example I found... but you have to make sure that nginx has the web-dav module compiled in.

3. speedway

Once again you have come to the rescue on nginx, thanks heaps. Will check things out, if I need to add the module I also add the one needed for digitalpoints user map addon....

Cheers

4. Tracy Perry

ngx-dav-ext-module from GIT hubshould get the module for you if your OS doesn't have it for RPM/.deb.

I am David and tyteen4a03 like this.
  5. speedway

Aha, thanks - that'll do nicely. I compile nginx versus using a manager, part of the centmin project.

6. DeltaHF

DeltaHF Well-Known Member

Hey Bruce, did you get WebDAV successfully compiled with Nginx using Centmin?

7. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

Also the example brought up in this thread is for FTP-like use of webdav and has nothing to do with xenforo templates

8. speedway

Not yet, procrastinating a little bit. I need to check with George (Centmin) on how to get it done without upsetting the rest of the install or updateability....

Interesting, thanks Luke - I'll plus that in and see what happens....

9. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

Or just install the Axivo rpm. :giggle:

10. Tracy Perry

That's why I said if there wasn't an RPM/.DEB available. :p

Floren likes this.
  11. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

I don't think there are any rpm's out there available with dav-ext enabled, not to mention libatomic or pcre-jit. :giggle:
    Redhat does not provide the last 2 libs, for sure.

12. DeltaHF

This is where I start to get in a gray area of my sysadmin knowledge.

Let's say I've installed Nginx and the rest of my web stack with Centminmod, then decide I want to upgrade or change my Nginx installation using yum with the Axivo repository. How does yum handle that situation? Does it touch Centminmod's compiled version? I've never really understood what would happen.

13. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

The advantage using rpm's versus pure compiled code is the ease of installing uninstalling the software. Let say you install an rpm and it does not suit your needs, you simply perform 'yum remove nginx' and every trace of your software is completely gone. Try to do this with source code.

14. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

One of my favourite reasons to use Arch Linux :)

You pretty much have to go out of your way to install something that's not package managed, whether built from source or not

15. DeltaHF

Yes, I know the differences; my question pertains to how installing something from a package will interact with or overwrite previous installations of the same software which were compiled from source.

16. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

Source and rpm's can co-exist. You just have to change the compile directories on source, for example use /usr/local instead of /usr. For myself, this is still a headache because I have to keep track of all manually installed files and remove them after. A quick example: if I want to debug Nginx, I simply install 'nginx-debug' from repo, do my tests and replace the rpm with 'nginx' or 'nginx-naxsi'. All this is done in a matter of 1 minute, while using the same config files.