We would buy it, but...

Sar

1)
Q: Will it have a CMS, blog, gallery, etc?

A: Not initially. They are good candidates for expansions, but we need to make sure that we nail the core components and the forum first. That part needs to excel before it makes sense to expand.
I understand you cannot be more specific about this, but what this aprox. mean? Month(s), year(s), possibility of not develop it at all.

The thing is, we have switched couple of CMSs in past, and finally now have "vb cms" and can't just simply put forum on page, without cms.

Are you guys thinking if you cant develop it in some reasonable time frame, that you could at least provide login connection with some popular cmss, like drupal or joomla?

I mean, we d like to upgrade, but cant just dismissed blogs, galleries and cms content which we have.

2) Roadmap?

1)
I understand you cannot be more specific about this, but what this aprox. mean? Month(s), year(s), possibility of not develop it at all.

The thing is, we have switched couple of CMSs in past, and finally now have "vb cms" and can't just simply put forum on page, without cms.

Are you guys thinking if you cant develop it in some reasonable time frame, that you could at least provide login connection with some popular cmss, like drupal or joomla?

I mean, we d like to upgrade, but cant just dismissed blogs, galleries and cms content which we have.

2) Roadmap?
You know, admins swear they need cms', blogs, and galleries, but how many of their MEMBERS use them. I bet if you put up a poll, most of your users come straight into the forum bypassing the cms/portal completely. As for blogs, how many actually use them? And galleries, unless it's a photography or similar site, how active is it, a year later?

I know where you are coming from but look at it from a member's point of view. Not the admin's.

My Blog is a waste of space But had to buy it as a package. So thought why not use it.. Not a big hit really more or less a spammers playground.

Galleries: one of my biggest draws..

CMS. Members barely know about it, Guests hit it by the hundreds everyday.

CMS - it depends on the site. We have a sizable site in addition to the forum, driven by news articles - this we needed a CMS for, but luckily I'm in a position where as a web developer I've built my own CMS for use on client's sites, so could use that, but otherwise I'm sure the VB CMS would have been an option.

Gallery - likewise, depends on the site. With us being a car site, obviously it gets a lot of use.

So, at the very least XF needs close integration with CMS and Gallery software to convert some of the existing VB sites over. For new sites of course its a different story.

I wouldn't say XF needs its own CMS, just close integration with at least one, preferably a range of CMS systems. But this wouldn't be necessarily down to XF to do, rather down to the CMS providers (same with Gallery software).

If you want a CMS, blog, and gallery then there are always dedicated solutions like Joomla, Wordpress, and Photopost. I am sure people will eventually write addons to integrate those applications with xenForo.

You know, admins swear they need cms', blogs, and galleries, but how many of their MEMBERS use them. I bet if you put up a poll, most of your users come straight into the forum bypassing the cms/portal completely. As for blogs, how many actually use them? And galleries, unless it's a photography or similar site, how active is it, a year later?

That's an interesting point.

I made a custom portal for my site but I don't use it. My bookmark goes straight to my forum. I think my portal is just a formality because it felt improper to have a site that is just a forum. But in reality my site is just a forum, I just try to pass it off as something more.

I made a custom portal for my site but I don't use it. My bookmark goes straight to my forum. I think my portal is just a formality because it felt improper to have a site that is just a forum. But in reality my site is just a forum, I just try to pass it off as something more.
Same situation here.
A custom home page which pulls content from the forum and (F1) database but it gets very little use.
I'll be dropping it altogether when I switch to XF and just focus on the forum and content.

That's an interesting point.

Exactly, when you go to TAZ, do you go to the front door or to the forum? Same with Sitepoint? Most of us tend to go straight to the forum cause we know that is where all the information really is, not in the portal/cms. Typically, the only reason most of us go to the front is if there is no other way to the forum.

We finally ditched the concept of a front page portal as no one was using it on the old site, and Xen is built around getting you to post, why not take it all the way. Helping to run a general chat site and not having all the addons ain't stopping people from joining and posting.

I know where you are coming from but look at it from a member's point of view. Not the admin's.

I respect the OP's opinion that they need a CMS and/or gallery and/or blog, every forum is different, and if there's enough push back because a CMS isn't available, then I'd be willing to bet the option would be reconsidered.

Personally, I don't think they didn't give a definite yes/no on those features mostly because of they are more focused on making the core system first. Once they get the base layout with the core system, they will start going on more complex systems. This site and forum all started up less than 6 months ago. You also have to take into consideration that this is still in BETA and we are lucky enough that we can still be apart of that experience and communicate directly with developers on our feedback on it and how things work out in a wide-variety of environments.

Thank you for opinion, but I wouldnt put argument like: "it's not developed, don't use it, u actually don't need it". The thing is, we do need it, especially articles and galleries, and just because it s not developed it doesn't mean we don't have to use it.

That said, I understand it can't be developed overnight, but waiting for vB for YEARS to develop something handy, trying out many different solutions, I am really getting tired and fed up of waiting, so simple and clear answer would be nice. If it can't be done in reasonable time frame, we still could for instance have forum, but focus cms on third party.

waiting for vB for YEARS to develop something handy, trying out many different solutions, I am really getting tired and fed up of waiting...
Well there's your problem. You are waiting for a forum developer to make something that isn't a forum.

You ever buy one of those printer/scanner/copier/telephone/fax/espresso makers? How long did you use it before you dragged it out into the driveway and pulverized it with a sledgehammer because it didn't do any of those things well?

A forum is a forum. A CMS is a CMS. Choose the best of breed in each and live a happy life. Stop waiting for the carpenter to make you a shirt and the tailor to build you a table and serve dinner already. We're hungry over here.

Thank you for opinion, but I wouldnt put argument like: "it's not developed, don't use it, u actually don't need it". The thing is, we do need it, especially articles and galleries, and just because it s not developed it doesn't mean we don't have to use it.

That said, I understand it can't be developed overnight, but waiting for vB for YEARS to develop something handy, trying out many different solutions, I am really getting tired and fed up of waiting, so simple and clear answer would be nice. If it can't be done in reasonable time frame, we still could for instance have forum, but focus cms on third party.

There is already a bridge to wordpress.
WP as a CMS, xF as a forum ....

There are portal pages currently made by members here that you can install. All the others you'll prolly have to wait a bit longer though.

You can use the excellent portal that is already made in the addon section. If you use the VB4 importer, it brings over all blog, cms, social groups, attachments, albums, etc... into threads organised in a special forum created for each. You can then quickly move all your articles into a forum which links the portal directly in... thus you have instant mini-CMS. There is wiki and media that all goes with it... so you can have group blogging via the wiki if you need.

But no... there is not a current full scale CMS solution. I have gone to Joomla as my CMS until such time as XF develop their own product CMS.... but I'm also thankful to have converted now and not waited longer. The benefits I am getting that I've already posted, far exceed holding onto 4.x until x, y & z appear.

I had a CMS product when I was with vB and then when I went to IPB I used their IP.Content app, neither of them got much use. I like many others set my bookmark to the forums, but felt funny not having anything there on the 'home' page.

This weekend when I converted over to xF I set the home tab to the recent activity of my forums and to me, this serves as a nice place to start.. When the home tab becomes a real tab I might add an about us link and a couple of other handy links to the secondary menu on home, but I like the recent activity page as a starting point.

http://www.awalkinfaith.org/community/index.php?recent-activity/

Jamie

Top Bottom