As designed We really need a better way to identify outdated templates

Jake B.

I don't know if this is something that recently changed, but I've never had this issue before at least.

If someone, for example, upgrades to XenForo 1.5.0 after we made our template changes to UI.X on our development board the last update time for master for changed templates is set to the time they updated to XenForo 1.5.0. Then if they update to UI.X for 1.5.0 after they update to XenForo 1.5.0 it tells them nearly every template that was updated for XenForo 1.5.0 is outdated because the date it was updated in UI.X is exported with the style, but not with the master templates

Nothing has changed here really since the feature was introduced.

There may be an element here which is relevant: last_edit_date is not updated for templates when newer version is imported

To clarify though:
...because the date it was updated in UI.X is exported with the style
This isn't correct. Dates are always internal to an individual install. I explained how this detection works elsewhere, but there is more detection than just version-based as that would fail to detect other cases.

If a parent is updated after a child version, the child version can't by definition include those changes... except if the changes made in the parent were pre-emptively included in the child, but really we can't actually know that. The alternative is missing a situation where a style developer makes a bug fix and a child style doesn't show as out of date when it should. The system should say something is out of date if it believes it could be, rather than missing legitimate cases. As such, date-based outdated detection is expected and important.

I would probably also say that installing add-ons/styles specifically designed for a version isn't really an expected action, though clearly that can be blocked for an add-on but not for a style, so I take the point that it can't really be easily prevented.

This isn't correct. Dates are always internal to an individual install. I explained how this detection works elsewhere, but there is more detection than just version-based as that would fail to detect other cases.

It seems to behave that way in my case at least. I personally updated XenForo to 1.5.0 and then updated UI.X on this board yesterday and this is an example of one of the 'outdated' templates -- even though it isn't actually outdated

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 11.36.10 AM.webp

It says that the template in UI.X was last edited July 23, 2015 which was around the time we initially started updating UI.X for XenForo 1.5 beta 3 I believe (on a separate board), and the parent says it was updated yesterday when I upgraded XenForo (as expected)

EDIT: Nevermind, I think this is covered by that link you have in your post. Missed that completely

Last edited:
Top Bottom