We Miss You!

Alpha1

A challenging aspect of running a XF forum is getting back lost members. There is a simple way to solve this.
For members who have not visited the site for over X time, show a 'Miss You' link / button on profile.
Users on the site can then click this functions to let the member know that he/she is missed.

The member will then receive an email to let him/her know that members, A, B, C misses them and would like to see them back. Of course with a few call to action links back to the site.

Emails can be sent once a week or so. Members would not receive more than 1 email a week. No matter how many members click the button. Do not send out a 'We Miss You' notification from the same member until the absent member has visited the site again.

Last edited:
Upvote 29
This sort of reminds of the occasional e-mails I get from Classmates.com about profile visits and such... I think if you can limit the usergroups that can click it, and send once a week if there were new clicks I don't have a problem with it.

I can see how this would be a great tool but at the same time, an abused one. I have seen some suggest using a conversation, let's look at it this way, instead of it sending an email, once a week have it create a convo that shows who misses them. Once that convo is created, add those users to a list in the database preventing them from clicking the button again for however long is set in the options. This would help in the abuse department but at the sametime, it will allow members to show how much they miss the user. Not sure of flaws in this thought but open to see posts where possible flaws could arise.

I think the new Activity Summary email does this in a nicer way. Otherwise, it's almost like a Facebook poke, when you don't want to be poked. ;)

Users on the site can then click this functions to let the member know that he/she is missed.
I think the new Activity Summary email does this in a nicer way.
Combine both would be ideal? Users can click 'Miss You' button, and if/when that user next receives their Activity Summary email, the summary block at the top gives a number for how many user miss him/her.

Thats a possibility.
I don't think its similar to a Facebook poke though. A poke seems meaningless to me. A message that you are being missed has more meaning than that.

Top Bottom