XF 2.0 Watched Threads - No option to view only unread Watched threads.

limboclub

Users used to be able to show a list of only unread Watched threads.

This was a crowd favourite in version 1.5 - where did it go in v2?

Is there a setting somewhere to enable it?

It's been integrated as part of the new posts filter system, which can display only watched threads and threads in forums you watch (the latter wasn't something exposed directly in XF1 at all).

It's been integrated as part of the new posts filter system, which can display only watched threads and threads in forums you watch (the latter wasn't something exposed directly in XF1 at all).
Interesting.

I cannot see it in "Filters":

How do we get the "unread" option back on /watched/threads ? It was a very useful feature, and very popular with users.

It's within the "new posts" system (as opposed to within a forum):

The watched threads page is now just a list of the threads that you watch, though normally, unreads would generally be near the top (though not automatically, I know). There isn't an option to change this.

Since the first previews of 2.0 and since it's been out as a stable version, I don't recall feedback about this particular change. Indeed, 1.x had a number of questions about managing watched threads (as it required a separate click from the unread page).

View attachment 191857

The watched threads page is now just a list of the threads that you watch, though normally, unreads would generally be near the top (though not automatically, I know). There isn't an option to change this.

Since the first previews of 2.0 and since it's been out as a stable version, I don't recall feedback about this particular change. Indeed, 1.x had a number of questions about managing watched threads (as it required a separate click from the unread page).
Yes it was always iffy with the option hidden at the bottom of the page. It needed to be improved so it was easier to find and use, not removed entirely.

Then to not document the change? Every tiny thing takes a chunk of time to decipher - and I am sure you're sick of answering questions that could be put in doco or a Wiki.

Can we hard code a link to New Posts with particular filters in place?

View attachment 191857

Actually no, this isn't a replacement for the old feature.

This shows ALL watched content: threads and forums.

We need an option to show unread watched threads only, as it was in v1.5.

Does this exist any more in any form?

Reactions: HLR
Now I see the wording...

I need to know how to get to the old

"(domain)/forum/watched/threads"

But it seems you have removed the Unread Watched Threads option entirely?

I have a (paid) add-on if you want to add filtering (including an unread filter) to the Watched Threads UI.

A lot of my members are bummed about this change. I see the filter option, but it's not intuitive to go to new posts and then filter just to find your unread watched threads. The filter should be on the watch threads page too. I will check out Xon's addon.

A lot of my members are bummed about this change. I see the filter option, but it's not intuitive to go to new posts and then filter just to find your unread watched threads. The filter should be on the watch threads page too. I will check out Xon's addon.
It's a step backwards and less mobile friendly at a time when the software should be mobile-up, not desktop with mobile an afterthought.

I've finally googled to find out how to do this (upgraded to XF2 a few months back) and... well I'm dismayed that the feature is as hard to access as it is.
Edit: and indeed, it truly does seem to be impossible to show ONLY "unread watched threads". This is a very odd backwards step.

Reactions: HLR
My users are asking for this as well. Another forum I use has added "Watched Threads" to the filter dropdown (see below) but I don't know if they did it with a plugin or a customized modification. But boy howdy, this would be great to have built into 2.2:

1655894364944.webp

My users are asking for this as well. Another forum I use has added "Watched Threads" to the filter dropdown (see below) but I don't know if they did it with a plugin or a customized modification. But boy howdy, this would be great to have built into 2.2:

View attachment 269984
Is that different to what we already have except that it's watched threads as opposed to watched content?

Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 12.08.45.webp

Yes, because "Watched Content" includes "Watched Forums".. so if there are unread threads in watched forums, they show up, regardless if the user watched those threads.

The clip above breaks out "Watched Content" into two separate options: "Watched Threads" and "Watched Forums" so the user can de-select "Watched Forums" if that's what they want (or not as the case may be).

Every now and then I wonder why this still hasn't been fixed. It's quite surreal that we're unable to list unread watched threads without resorting to addons.
As others point out above, if there are any unread threads in watched forums, they will completely wreck any utility from the filtering options in "new posts".
Since @Mike is apparently gone, I'll ping @Chris D in the hope of a comment about whether this might be addressed?

Top Bottom