Add-on Watch Forum? Watch Thread? Why not watch/archive Posts?

sbj

Hello,

I'm not sure if there is already an add-on for this, but I couldn't find one.

So, I assume many of us have visited for years forums and communities. And I also assume you come across many awesome posts. Posts, people have spent many time and effort to bring them up. Posts, you found very informative and intellectual. Posts, you always wanted to be remembered of but you never did. Because after some time you dont know actually in which forum, in which thread at what time you saw the post. It is gone, forever. You also can't find it by searching for it.

Or you always wanted to save some of your own messages. After having 1000+ messages, it gets time consuming to find that one great message you wrote. Maybe with a lot of bbcode and stuff in it? So you want to use that again? Lists and pictures?

Yeah, you could have copy/pasted the content into a file or you could print it. But who does this actually? Make a screenshot or copy/paste everytime of that great long message? How about when I want to save the great bbcodes? So I can use them?

So, that is why it would be great to have an add-on to save, to archive those posts in your own account. Like we can watch threads (so we archive those threads).
If a thread has thousands of entries, just watching the thread is not enough to find your favourite messages. Who can remember all the account names and times people posted?

I'm thinking of a button next to the "edit, report, delete" buttons called "archive". With 1 click you can archive it, click again and you can re-do this. It could have a little highlight which shows you that this post is actually saved in your archive.

After some months/years gone, you will be really thankful that you archived those posts. Maybe the thread gets deleted, maybe it gets removed or you just dont remember at all. But going through your own archive, you would have a reminder of your personal favourites. Posts from people you admired, your own posts or just usual daily posts.

Of course you could extend this add-on.
For example making a maximum limit of saved/archived posts. How many you can archive each day (for spam reasons).
You could make folders, so people can make their own categories for their archivd posts.

And so on.

What do you think?

Hmm, damn, shame on me.
I should have searched better.
Thank you guys, I missed that one.
Great news!

If you have any suggestions on how to improve the add on, please feel free to post in the resource discussion thread or on http://xenmods.com in the suggestions board.

Thanks @RobinHood and @batpool52! for the recommendation.

Thank you. I have practically described all the things I had in my mind in the first post. I have to test your add-on first to see what things I miss. Great news is that you are willing to improve the add-on and you care about your users. Nice, I am happy to know that there is already an add-on out there + the developer is active.

Yeah, thanks those guys for the recommendation, I really did miss that one (probably because the add-on is called bookmarks).

Yeah, it took me a while to remember what it was called, even though it makes perfect sense once you find it.
Instinctively I initially searched for 'save post(s)', and variations of 'favourite posts' before I found it

:)

Reactions: sbj
For example making a maximum limit of saved/archived posts. How many you can archive each day (for spam reasons).
This is pretty much the only part of your post that isn't covered in the bookmarks add on.

I may have missed something though.

Reactions: sbj
This is pretty much the only part of your post that isn't covered in the bookmarks add on.

Well, you are the developer, if you see no danger of spam, then that is the only part of my post which I dont care about :). If everything else is covered, and it seems so (I still hadnt the time to go through your wall of text, maybe one reason why I missed this add-on, sorry :)), it would make me very happy. In your thread I will make soon a review and list if I miss something (but seems I wont).

Thanks.

Ah, yeah, well my English is not so good, so it is not always easy to understand each other correctly. I am sorry for this.

Top Bottom