Warning Suggestions...

digitalpoint

I've been modifying the existing warning system to better suit my needs, and these are some of the things I've built (these are all suggestions for the core product):
  • Allow users to see their warnings (the summary, not the detail), and give them a link to the content they got warned about (if it's viewable by them)
  • Don't start a conversation by default when giving a warning
  • Only allow admins to set custom/arbitrary warnings
  • Allow a warning time period to compound (extend the time of the last warning of the same type)
  • Have option to "Expire Now" for admins or person that issued the warning (more or less a reversal without actually deleting it)
Obviously those things could be set with permissions/settings... it was more a quick explanation of how *I* needed it to work.

Upvote 85
i am still using pepelacs infraction hack. despite its couple of bugs, imo its more flexible and allows me to set up my warning system in a way that better suits my community.
the core system is too 'all or nothing' for my taste. i am really dreading the day pepelacs hack stops working because i dont think it will get updated.

i am still using pepelacs infraction hack. despite its couple of bugs, imo its more flexible and allows me to set up my warning system in a way that better suits my community.
the core system is too 'all or nothing' for my taste. i am really dreading the day pepelacs hack stops working because i dont think it will get updated.

I agree it is very all or nothing but I'm not sure xenforo's stance will really change on this issue. I read somewhere that they wanted moderation to be simplistic and what they call user friendly. Personally I think encouraging customization is always better than thinking a cookie cutter solution will serve all your customers in the same way. This is probably the only thing that will keep me from buying xenforo in a few months when my website launches.

I would rename "Warning" into "Feedback from management". That sounds much more professional and is not insulting as "I am giving you a warning. Behave."

Hello username,

our forum rule #14 states .... When doing ... you avoided this rule. In general we close accounts for 2 weeks but as you have provided useful content we restrict that to only one week. Please understand that we are very concerned about our forum society and therefore need to take care about it. I am looking forward to see you around here soon. Best Wishes ...

is the same as "20 points-> Banned 1 week". I prefer the former solution but I also see communities gaining more from a simple statement.

I would rename "Warning" into "Feedback from management". That sounds much more professional and is not insulting as "I am giving you a warning. Behave."

is the same as "20 points-> Banned 1 week". I prefer the former solution but I also see communities gaining more from a simple statement.

I think using the words "warning" is justified because it is stern and official and sometimes that is how you need to deal with trouble makers. However I also agree with you that there should be an option to provide "feedback". It could be used in cases like you suggested where members are generally well behaved and providing meaningful contributions to the community or in cases where you simply need to notify a member of an error or give guidance in an official capacity. I think in some cases all a member needs to a 24-48 hour "ban" from the site just to cool off or even just a moderated status, I think a full week in cases where members are not consistently making trouble is kind of insulting at times.

As suggested in the link I posted above it would be nice to have the ability to restrict the use of or define what types of "warnings" or "feedback" certain user groups can issue.

I think using the words "warning" is justified because it is stern and official and sometimes that is how you need to deal with trouble makers. However I also agree with you that there should be an option to provide "feedback". It could be used in cases like you suggested where members are generally well behaved and providing meaningful contributions to the community or in cases where you simply need to notify a member of an error or give guidance in an official capacity. I think in some cases all a member needs to a 24-48 hour "ban" from the site just to cool off or even just a moderated status, I think a full week in cases where members are not consistently making trouble is kind of insulting at times.
Agreed... something as simple as a "0 point warning" could automatically be considered "feedback" or something.

I've been modifying the existing warning system to better suit my needs, and these are some of the things I've built (these are all suggestions for the core product):
Any progress ?
  • Allow users to see their warnings (the summary, not the detail), and give them a link to the content they got warned about (if it's viewable by them)
Only seems fair.
Would be nice to see how you lost points.

• Have option to "Expire Now" for admins or person that issued the warning (more or less a reversal without actually deleting it)
Good idea.

I can tell you've got lots of experience admining Warning systems.
:)

Members definitely need to be able to see their warnings and probably alerted to them. I've always found it odd that if you do a custom warning and don't send them a conversation then they never even know they got a warning. :confused:

Just noticed the last part made it to 1.3...

"Have option to "Expire Now" for admins or person that issued the warning (more or less a reversal without actually deleting it)"

I commissioned this addon
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/warnings-by-waindigo.2300/
To enhance warnings, but I agree the core software needs a more sophisticated warnings system.
Chief among our needs is the ability to create warning categories so we can separate classified warnings, which if accumulated would (temporarily or permanently) add users to a usergroup which is banned from trading, from other warnings which have different actions.

Top Bottom