WANTED: Professional Xenforo Consultant for Migration

I really appreciate the mention Ruud!
The project I did for @duderuud is one my largest undertakings and I'm very proud with the result.

The source PHP application, called react (not to be confused with the JavaScript framework from Facebook), was opcode-obfuscated, making it a very interesting challenge to understand how the database gets affected upon an action.

Due to the forum size, we decided to implement support for incremental imports so there wouldn't be need to redo the whole import process whenever we'd need to update the target XenForo installation.
Not only it's incremental, but the tool also syncs any modified data in case it has been changed from a previous import.

The imported data is related, but not limited, to:
Users (groups, password hashes, preferences, permissions, custom fields),
Content (categories, subforums, threads, posts with edit history preservation, as well as personal conversations),
Images (~300GB of user uploaded pictures imported to XFMG)
3rd party add-on: [TH] Bookmarks
URL redirects so that link rotting cannot happen when the XF2 installation replaces the source forum software (SEO).

A full, clean import takes about 2 days, while any subsequent incremental imports finish in just 1-2 hours depending on how much data has been changed/created.

A similar tool I've created for another client has been used to migrate data from MesDiscussions, another blackbox forum application.
I also have experience creating migration tools for visible source forum applications, such as Discourse, which by the way uses PostgreSQL instead of MySQL or MariaDB.

I'd be happy to be of help if you could use my services. I've got three projects to complete in the following week, two of which are related to migrations (phpbb, woltlab) and one is an add-on for XF1, but I'm definitely open to discuss anything you might want to.

The project I did for @duderuud is one my largest undertakings and I'm very proud with the result.

The source PHP application, called react (not to be confused with the JavaScript framework from Facebook), was opcode-obfuscated, making it a very interesting challenge to understand how the database gets affected upon an action.

Due to the forum size, we decided to implement support for incremental imports so there wouldn't be need to redo the whole import process whenever we'd need to update the target XenForo installation.
Not only it's incremental, but the tool also syncs any modified data in case it has been changed from a previous import.

The imported data is related, but not limited, to:
Users (groups, password hashes, preferences, permissions, custom fields),
Content (categories, subforums, threads, posts with edit history preservation, as well as personal conversations),
Images (~300GB of user uploaded pictures imported to XFMG)
3rd party add-on: [TH] Bookmarks
URL redirects so that link rotting cannot happen when the XF2 installation replaces the source forum software (SEO).

A full, clean import takes about 2 days, while any subsequent incremental imports finish in just 1-2 hours depending on how much data has been changed/created.

A similar tool I've created for another client has been used to migrate data from MesDiscussions, another blackbox forum application.
I also have experience creating migration tools for visible source forum applications, such as Discourse, which by the way uses PostgreSQL instead of MySQL or MariaDB.

I'd be happy to be of help if you could use my services. I've got three projects to complete in the following week, two of which are related to migrations (phpbb, woltlab) and one is an add-on for XF1, but I'm definitely open to discuss anything you might want to.

So the "Import" part of the equation may well be the easiest portion of the over all project...

What is your budget for that and when do you need all to done?
we were hoping to have both sites operational in the new environment by the end of summer, as I stated in the opening post.
We have not set a limit yet on the budget as we still have NO solid idea of what level of similar functionality we will be able to achieve on the new platform, and which features we will have to surrender moving from vB over to Xenforo.

we were hoping to have both sites operational in the new environment by the end of summer, as I stated in the opening post.
We have not set a limit yet on the budget as we still have NO solid idea of what level of similar functionality we will be able to achieve on the new platform, and which features we will have to surrender moving from vB over to Xenforo.

Well, can you send me a pm regarding the budget for just migrating the content.

Well, can you send me a pm regarding the budget for just migrating the content.
not interested in just migrating content.
As I thought I explained in the opening post, we are looking for someone to work with to help us create 3 new identical forums and fully populate them to reporduce as much functionality as possible with custom code / XF Modules, AND to import the pre-existing content from our current forums.

But I suspect migrating the content is in fact the easiest part of this project.

We would prefer NOT to "Discover" by trial and error which mods work and which ones will only cause of grief and anguish down the line.
Sounds like your needs are very custom.

Would suggest maybe a full migration and getting your addons custom built from scratch from Themehouse:
https://www.themehouse.com/xenforo/migrate

It’ll probably be expensive but I am sure they’ll meet your needs exactly.

@Mike Creuzer

So in the course of this thread, there were 3 recommendations.

#1, Salvik, who also happens to be a Forum Mod here, and garnered several endorsements.

#2. alexD

#3. Themehouse

We received several PMs from others reading this thread but not posting in it.

One said to avoid Themehouse

Another was Addonlabs who seems like a pretty solid business

and ForumCube & logixsol both reached out to us as well.

Now to decide WHO to work with.

Thanks for the recommendation!

@ldsavow Would be more than happy to discuss your requirements, feel free to send me a conversation with it all in.

Thanks
I would like to send you an Excel spreadsheet outling exactly what our project needs are. Sadly it appears that I Can't attach one to this XF thread. Can you shoot me a E-Mail address I could send it to for your review?

I would like to send you an Excel spreadsheet outling exactly what our project needs are. Sadly it appears that I Can't attach one to this XF thread. Can you shoot me a E-Mail address I could send it to for your review?

Hi,

Due to GDPR, I am currently backlogged with weeks of work, while I would love to help you, I simply do not have the current availability to handle a job of this scope to a satisfactory level.

We have decided to work with ALEX D on our project.
Many thanks to everyone that offered up their comments on this thread.
Now the FUN begins!

I never thought I would find myself back in this thread again, but here I am a year later.
We spent the last 10 months working with @alexD but rather than completing the project he just strung us along month after month and refused to put in the hours needed to do the work. After having spent weeks and weeks trying to chase him down in April after he vanished without a word, we have decided to abandon any further attempts to work with him and are now once again sadly looking for someone HIGHLY DEPENDABLE who will put in the required hours and GET THE PROJECT DONE!

Please note, @alexD
got a LOT of work done, so you will not be starting cold.
We have a well functioning "Beta" forum up and running, but he was never able to get it fully synchronized with the active existing forum, and each time he did a manual "Export-Convert-Import" from the old vB3.8 forum to the new XF2.1 forum we would lose both content and permissions.

So the KEY ISSUE right now is getting a really clean export of all the existing content from the old forum into the new forum AND making sure that all the existing user group permissions transfer over properly.

I want to be VERY CLEAR on this point.
I am looking for a LONG TERM RELATIONSHIP HERE.
We want to work with a business that we can CONTINUE to work with on a regular ongoing basis for YEARS.
Our forums have been around for Decades, and this current iteration is 11 years old.
We expect the next iteration to last many more years as well, and will need ongoing code support over the course of it's lifetime.

I should also note.
@alexD finished Forum #3 first. It is up and has been running smoothly for the last 8 months.
Forum #1 is the problem child
Forum #2 has not been touched as yet.

Top Bottom