Waindigo Install and Upgrade add-on call back sending list of ALL site add-ons

I've never used his add on, or chris' comparable add on for that matter, for this reason. It clearly states exactly what it's doing, if you don't like it don't use it. The difference here is that he's now tied this add on with an undesirable method (in most people's opinion) to his other 200 add ons. I can see how it might be an issue but the fact it's clearly stated and isn't executing any code makes it in compliance with the policies.
I don't use it. The recent scenario with *******, and Waindigo censoring his own initiated discussion on his add-on's licensing, has highlighted to me where I believe the add-on policy is lacking, and potentially susceptible. Hence the discussion.

I understand. I was surprised by his response to request his thread be locked due to the day being Sunday and not wanting to answer questions but some people take their days off seriously.

More to the point though, I think since his resource and resource description are compliant, anything is likely to happen. The biggest problem with Waindigo right now is that he's trying to find a business model that works. H elet his inventory get so big that it's a huge problem. Maybe he jumped too quickly at the suggestions people gave. Some more thought could have been given. He went from one method that everyone thought was confusing to another that everyone feels is confusing. I understand what he's trying to do but I'm afraid that again it's not working. It's really none of my business but the fact he's taking feedback and is willing to change his entire business model is kind of impressive.

He's proven this past week that he will listen to constructive critism so maybe continuing to be constructive is the best approach.

I believe his business model would do far better if he stopped talking about god and quoting his favourite bible verses, and started talking more about what value he can add to the addons he has got/in the pipeline.

When i come here, i dont want to feel like ive entered a church sermon. Relgion should never be shoved down our throats on this site.

I believe his business model would do far better if he stopped talking about god and quoting his favourite bible verses, and started talking more about what value he can add to the addons he has got/in the pipeline.

When i come here, i dont want to feel like ive entered a church sermon. Relgion should never be shoved down our throats on this site.
Then just do as I do... don't ready the discussion area that involves him or his add-ons. Then it's not being "shoved down your throat"... which it never was in the first place. You have an OPTION to read or not read. Further, you have an OPTION to either use or not use his add-ons. If you use them, then accept that you ARE going to have to deal with it. The OPTION is not not use them.

Thanks to those members who provided constructive criticism.

I have now updated the Install and Upgrade by Waindigo add-on here:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/install-and-upgrade-by-waindigo.2035/update?update=13947

To explain some of the changes I've made in more detail:

"List of add-on IDs sent to waindigo.org is now one-way encrypted and are only sent with version ID, version string and whether the add-on is enabled."
Firstly, this means that anyone with access to the waindigo.org servers (i.e. me) can't see any other information about add-ons such as the add-on ID, add-on title or anything like that. The MD5 algorithm is used to one-way encrypt the add-on ID. This means that it can still be compared to other users who have the same add-on installed, so there is no change to the add-on functionality.
The check as to whether an add-on is listed in the XenForo Resource Manager is done on the waindigo.org server. Doing this check on the client side would not be reliable, so I have not implemented this suggestion.
I should point out that since we are able to run the MD5 algorithm on our own add-on IDs, the server is still able to identify which Waindigo add-ons you have installed (as well as any add-ons that we know the add-on ID of, but we don't intend to check this). The purpose of this update was in response to the concern that I was able to gather information about unreleased/private add-ons, which is now impossible.

"Member count now only includes valid users and is now only sent to waindigo.org servers if a user has opted in by providing their waindigo.org username and password."
This means that the waindigo.org no longer receives member count information unless a user has explicitly opted in to sending it since it is not required otherwise. Also, the previous version of the add-on was not filtering out invalid users, which was an oversight and actually made the information less useful. By fixing this bug, this also makes sure the number of members is in line with the member count that is displayed publicly on most sites.

Then let's say I use your add-on installer... and I am BETA testing Showcase and AMS, and other add-ons. I install the new BETA version... and YOUR add-on installer then goes and counts it as an update and falsely alerts people that there is a new version... or am I understanding you incorrectly or do you have code in place that will exclude any BETA software packages that you don't know about?
This is where having a large number of people using the Install and Upgrade by Waindigo add-on helps as with a larger data set is possible to identify where an add-on might not be available to everyone (such as beta software). The alternative is to never list add-ons as outdated (i.e., the approach taken by Chris Deeming's add-on) and there is an option in the add-on to take this same approach. Information freely available in Resource Manager always takes precedent though, so if you have a BETA of Install and Upgrade by Waindigo, for example, it would never flag up for anyone else as outdated.

With Waindigo's new addon policy in place, it is now mandatory to install his addon installer which includes these callbacks and list this data on waindigo.org
  • it DOES require you to have the Install and Upgrade by Waindigo add-on installed though
  • if you have the Install and Upgrade by Waindigo add-on installed and link it to your waindigo.org account, a notice will now appear on waindigo.org telling you exactly which subscription you should purchase based on your add-ons installed etc.
This means that if customers want to install these addons then they are forced to to have their data sent to Waindigo servers. This does not- seem in line with the resource guidelines or at least not in the spirit of the guidelines.

With Waindigo's new addon policy in place, it is now mandatory to install his addon installer which includes these callbacks and list this data on waindigo.org

This means that if customers want to install these addons then they are forced to to have their data sent to Waindigo servers. This does not- seem in line with the resource guidelines or at least not in the spirit of the guidelines.
I'm confused. Could you share an example of someone who has been forced into doing something?

I am more interested in knowing what code to look for in Addons that send information back to someone's server. Can someone give an example of the code to look for???

Thanks
Itworx4me

I am more interested in knowing what code to look for in Addons that send information back to someone's server. Can someone give an example of the code to look for???

Thanks
Itworx4me
Searching all the code for URLs (i.e. search for http:// or https://) will usually find most unless the developer has attempted to hide it by breaking the URL into parts or something like this.

Also, searching for things like "XenForo_Helper_Http" or "Zend_Http_Client" if the developer has used these classes to do the callback.

I'm confused. Could you share an example of someone who has been forced into doing something?
If a customer wants to install one of your paid addons, then the customer is required to also install your addon 'Install and Upgrade'. This 2nd addon in turn implements callbacks which are not necessary for the operation of the 1st addon.

As I understand it, a callback is required anyway in order to unlock premium features.

As it stands though, the add-on isn't in breach of the XF resource guidelines and ultimately, it's up to end users whether they wish to install it/them.

@Jon W
I have a question I wanted to ask you and since this thread has been opened, here it is. Last week I've updated your Installer addon and now there's an annoying popup in the my control panel telling me "Your waindigo.org account is not yet setup. Click here to update." When I click on it, it redirects me to this address and invites me to type my admin login and password
Code:
{board}/admin.php?add-ons/stored-credentials-edit&host=waindigo.org&path=/

I haven't found time to look at it, but what is the purpose of this? Are my login information are saved in my db to another location ; for which purpose?

If a customer wants to install one of your paid addons, then the customer is required to also install your addon 'Install and Upgrade'. This 2nd addon in turn implements callbacks which are not necessary for the operation of the 1st addon.
So you would prefer me to put callbacks in all of my add-ons rather than just one of them? The callback would essentially be the same, minus the encrypted list of non-Waindigo add-ons.

@Jon W
I have a question I wanted to ask you and since this thread has been opened, here it is. Last week I've updated your Installer addon and now there's an annoying popup in the my control panel telling me "Your waindigo.org account is not yet setup. Click here to update." When I click on it, it redirects me to this address and invites me to type my admin login and password
Code:
{board}/admin.php?add-ons/stored-credentials-edit&host=waindigo.org&path=/

I haven't found time to look at it, but what is the purpose of this? Are my login information are saved in my db to another location ; for which purpose?
It is asking for your waindigo.org username and password, not your admin login and password. If you enter the details it is sent along with the callback to link your site with your waindigo.org account. If you have the right subscription, premium features will be activated and copyright removed.

It is asking for your waindigo.org username and password, not your admin login and password. If you enter the details it is sent along with the callback to link your site with your waindigo.org account. If you have the right subscription, premium features will be activated and copyright removed.
Oh thanks, since the interface was the same one than the admin panel I was confused. :)

So you would prefer me to put callbacks in all of my add-ons rather than just one of them? The callback would essentially be the same, minus the encrypted list of non-Waindigo add-ons.

I honestly don't get what is so complicated about a branding free callback. DigitalPoint uses it and no one complains about that. Why I have to install a complex add-on to get branding free I will never understand.

Top Bottom