Waindigo Install and Upgrade add-on call back sending list of ALL site add-ons

I honestly don't get what is so complicated about a branding free callback. DigitalPoint uses it and no one complains about that. Why I have to install a complex add-on to get branding free I will never understand.
There are lots of things I don't understand too.

There are lots of things I don't understand too.

No need to be a smartass. You obviously have an idea why someone should install an add-on that includes functionality that they will never use to get rid of branding. Myself and many others would simply like to understand the thought process.

No need to be a smartass. You obviously have an idea why someone should install an add-on that includes functionality that they will never use to get rid of branding. Myself and many others would simply like to understand the thought process.
I've explained several times. It is an advantage for everyone to have lots of people using this add-on. I would like everyone to install this add-on.

Most developers don't require installing a separate add on to remove branding on any of their products. It may simply be a matter of switching off a template modification, or uploading the files and updating the existing add on, or replacing a single file.

Most developers don't require installing a separate add on to remove branding on any of their products. It may simply be a matter of switching off a template modification, or uploading the files and updating the existing add on, or replacing a single file.
I've explained several times. It is an advantage for everyone to have lots of people using this add-on. I would like everyone to install this add-on.

I've explained several times.
Apparently not well enough that others are still asking why and what your agenda is.

It is an advantage for everyone to have lots of people using this add-on. I would like everyone to install this add-on.
I'm sorry but this sounds like a government sales pitch out of the 50's and 60's. As I am one of the "everyone" I fail to see where or how this data mining is advantageous to me, my forum or my server. Whatever information you collect, statistics you evaluate, how is this an "advantage to everyone"? What information that you have collected from "everyone" do you share with "everyone" that it would benefit "everyone" from your data mining?
I don't know a drop of what the other more knowledgeable members here know and have questioned you about, but to me as an end user their questions are a big red flag and even more disconcerting is your evasive negative response to them.
Just saying............:)
As an end user the information provided in this discussion is an advantage to me and I appreciate that your recent updates have made changes to what and how you go about your data mining however as other devs have said
I honestly don't get what is so complicated about a branding free callback. DigitalPoint uses it and no one complains about that. Why I have to install a complex add-on to get branding free I will never understand.

To mention a few.........

Perhaps a better understandable explanation of why you think your add on is the "be all to end all" that will be "an advantage for everyone" might be more of an advantage. It would to me anyway :)

Perhaps a better understandable explanation of why you think your add on is the "be all to end all" that will be "an advantage for everyone" might be more of an advantage. It would to me anyway
Just because something is difficult to understand, doesn't mean it is malicious or wrong.

Here is the explanation I gave in response to the first post:
The Install and Upgrade by Waindigo add-on checks all of a users add-ons to see if there are any updates available. For add-ons not listed for free on the Resource Manager, it works this out by checking the add-on ids against other people's add-ons they have installed (Waindigo and non-Waindigo).

For example, lets say you have Chris Deeming's Xen Product Manager add-on installed. When you update the add-on it notifies the Waindigo servers. Another site with this add-on then does its daily check for updates and receives a response to say that is an update available.

In order to provide this feature, the list of add-ons you have installed is sent to Waindigo servers.

The more people who use this add-on, the better it is for everyone.

There is nothing malicious about this.

To clarify why it helps when more people have it installed:

When a new add-on is released there is a time period between when it is released and when someone with Install and Upgrade by Waindigo installs it. This time period is going to be zero if the developer has the Install and Upgrade by Waindigo installed on the development site, or very short if they have it installed on a production site and install the update almost immediately after they release it.

However, this is not always the case, so lets take the developer out of the equation. Now, the more people that have the Install and Upgrade by Waindigo add-on installed, the shorter that time period is likely to be as users find out about the update and then install it. This means that more other users get alerted to the add-on being out of date sooner, which is beneficial to anyone who has that add-on installed.

This applies slightly less to resources listed in XenForo's resources section because this is also checked periodically for updates, although it is checked more regularly if someone updates the add-on. But for add-ons not released in XenForo's resources section, the add-on has to rely solely on data gathered from other users.

@Jon W As you know I have concerns about the quality of various of your addons. But that aside, you do create awesome stuff. I was planning to review what I can keep and what is not up to par.
I dont use any branding anywhere. For the Waindigo functionality that I would want to use I would be more than happy to pay for branding free. But there is no way that I as a customer am going to install your 'installer' addon.

In contrast to your opinion that its beneficial to everyone, I see only problems and risks involved. So the only conclusion I take away from this is that it's best to just uninstall all your addons. I am sure that I am not the only one who comes to this conclusion.

After disabling all your addons, my site was superfast again BTW.

In theory this looks perfect.
  • A developer, not caring about the mined data at all
  • Customers trusting the developer and happily sending their data
  • Other customers getting update alerts quickly
But in practice, many people do care about such data collection a lot and refuse to install such add-ons.

This is the same naive thinking ******* had, when he thought he found the best solution against piracy with backloading hidden code from his server.

He was right, this was one of the better solutions.

But he was wrong also, because people didn't accept it and had not enough trust in it.

What you don't understand, Jon, is that many people do simply not trust you enough to accept such an idea and concept.

Sure, if you are able to live with the people trusting you, everything is okay and will work out well for you. You just loose potential customers.

I have a couple of addons from Jon W installed on my forum, I have paid paid/donated a small amount for all of them. I haven't installed "Install and Upgrade" and didn't have any plans of doing it.
I am not sure that the way now planned is the best way for Jon to get paid for his work. I think a bit longer time to rethink and maybe try to do things more like other developers here do it would be the best?

I this really just a way to save you the trouble of adding callbacks to all your addons? You can add it to your installer, and it takes care of knowing about your 250+ list of addons?

Not saying there aren't legitimate concerns here but.. first ******* now jon, who's next?
Um.. did you just compare Jon with someone who reportedly stole code from others and owned a pirate site? :unsure:

On topic: The way I understand it, the (main) reason behind the callback to Jon's server is to provide people with a convenient way to alert them that updates of their add-on's are available. I think something like this should be handled by XenForo rather than a third party. A XenForo app store that works like Apple App store or Google Play store would be awesome. Perhaps this will someday happen.

Um.. did you just compare Jon with someone who reportedly stole code from others and owned a pirate site? :unsure:
I can see how it read like that but no. I just pointed out the way the community just went hard after *******, now he's gone and Waindigo is under fire. Then I asked who is next?

[Edit]
For the record, the posts and comments by community members had no bearing on our decision to remove ******* add-ons, etc.

Didn't mean to imply that but I know how some times things can come across the wrong way so everyone keep this in mind please. I'm also not saying it's likely Waindigo is going to "be gone", I doubt he's going anywhere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom