VPS configuration for beginner

Joan1211

Good day to everyone .

For a week I am using Xenforo cloud, but I would like to migrate with a license and the self hosted VPS solution. I have a few VPS with Hetzner running on Windows server. As I understand, Linux would be preferable but I am not good enough to configure it.
I have found plenty of tutorials explaining how to install Xenforo on a VPS but all of these tutorials assume that the VPS is already configured. I spent several hours looking on internet, but maybe I missed it: is there a tutorial for beginners on how to install Xenforo from the beggining (not assuming that the server is ready to use)?

I followed the original tutorial https://xenforo.com/docs/dev/linux-dev/ made by @Kier, but this still doesn't start from the very beginning, with server installation and configuration.
And as I have very little knowledge of the configuration of a VPS, I am looking for some help.

Does everyone use Cpanel here? Or would it be possible to run and install Xenforo without it? :rolleyes:

I am intending to go with Hetzner as I am currently satisfied with them. But which OS to use? Ubunto, Debian, CentOS? (and which version?)

When buying the license I could use the "installation service made by a representative of Xenforo", however, I need to see how this installation is made from the very beginning to be able to do it by myself later if needed. I am not sure that the representative would agree to show me how he proceed to the full installation.
Therefore I am looking for a complete tutorial.

Thank you very much for your help.

PS: Do I need to use transactionnal email services like Sendgrid, Mailgun etc...? (I am already using Sendgrid for another website, and this was a mess to configure, I had to hire a developer for this).

PS2: I am ready to use the services of a professional if this person would agree to perform the installation of VPS-Xenforo-Mails directly on my computer via teamviewer.

Reactions: OCC
Best suggestion I can give you... get a GOOD VPS provider that supports AlmaLinux, install it and then go to @eva2000's CentMinMod site and research the process of installing it. It's ALL I will use now on my VPS.

As for Hetzner... it's currently where my site is hosted at on a 4vCPU/8GB/160GB instance. When I set mine up I did have to jump through a few hoops to get AlmaLinux installed, as it wasn't one of their "ez-install" choices... but it really wasn't that hard.
For transactional email, I use Amazon SES.

Thanks for answering.
I have actually already checked CentMin Mod and I was expecting to have a control panel and access to a dashboard (like Cpanel). I watched several videos until I figured out that CentMin Mod does not provide this 😂.

I have 0 knowledge on installation via CLI and therefore I had decided to avoid CentMin Mode.
Can you briefly explain what would be the advantage to use this? 🙂

You are the 3rd person that I see is advising this.. so there should be a good reason, but I fail to undertand it..

I am going to have a look at it again.

Just to confirm, for you Hetzner is a good choice? correct?

Can you briefly explain what would be the advantage to use this? 🙂
Maximal utilization of VPS resources with minimal requirement for end-user configuration.
To install it.. it's honestly as simple as running (from the CLI with root privileges) for PHP 8.0.
This will install the latest BETA version that supports AlmaLinux.
Then setting up the vhosts is easy... as you simply need to run (from the CLI) centmin and you are given a text based menu.

Just to confirm, for you Hetzner is a good choice? correct?
I'm happy with them...the ONLY real gripe I have is that I can't automate the PayPal payment... I have to manually process it each month.
I have NO complaints on the responsiveness of my site with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Hetzner/Centminmod fan here.

In the beginning Centminmod has a steep learning curve (especially if you don't already know RHEL/CentOS) but it's worth it.
Probably the best optimized LEMP stack out there and a lot of customization available.

We run Centmin on a dedicated server and it runs great for not a lot of money. Really happy with that setup!

Question that may seems dumb, but its a bit confusing for me. I have created an account with SES and I need to verify my mail address.
I don't have yet any domain or mail, im currently just checking.

I will go with Namecheap, and let's say for the example I will buy www.superforum.com
Then what should I take at Namecheap:
  • domain (in that case I verify identity with domain)
  • or domain + email (in that case I verify identity with mail)

I do not understand how SES can send transactional email if I have bought only domain and verified it on the picture below?

Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 17.04.53.png

How will I be given a mail address? SES will create one for me? ( support@superforum.com or info@superforum.com ... who decides?)

Last edited:
Best suggestion I can give you... get a GOOD VPS provider that supports AlmaLinux, install it and then go to @eva2000's CentMinMod site and research the process of installing it. It's ALL I will use now on my VPS.

As for Hetzner... it's currently where my site is hosted at on a 4vCPU/8GB/160GB instance. When I set mine up I did have to jump through a few hoops to get AlmaLinux installed, as it wasn't one of their "ez-install" choices... but it really wasn't that hard.
For transactional email, I use Amazon SES.
Pretty sure us public folk still have to CentOS 7 for now, right?

Pretty sure us public folk still have to CentOS 7 for now, right?
If you were on CentOS 7, then you still are.... it's still supported through June 2024. Since I was setting up a new VPS instance, I wanted something a little longer term, and AlmaLinux is basically the new CentOS. From what I understand, there is even a migration process to move from CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux 8 being worked on.

How will I be given a mail address?
You will need email to receive for the domain, usually one for the admin, one for bounce and one for unsubscribe.
You can set those up through Amazon SES, but there are more steps involved in the Amazon sphere of fun.
Or, you can host those email on an outside email provider (I use an old account I had with ZoHo).
The Amazon SES instance will be set up on a subdomain, so you can set up all your DNS entries for it using that subdomain and then for the primary domain set up for wherever you have hosting the main domain email for sending/receiving non-transactional email.

A pretty good discussion on setting up Amazon SES at the thread below.

If you were on CentOS 7, then you still are.... it's still supported through June 2024. Since I was setting up a new VPS instance, I wanted something a little longer term, and AlmaLinux is basically the new CentOS. From what I understand, there is even a migration process to move from CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux 8 being worked on.
So the public Centmin script works for Alma, right now? If so, apparently I misread a bunch of stuff. :eek:

To install it.. it's honestly as simple as running (from the CLI with root privileges) for PHP 8.0.
yum -y update; curl -O https://centminmod.com/betainstaller80.sh && chmod 0700 betainstaller80.sh && bash betainstaller80.sh
This will install the latest BETA version that supports AlmaLinux.

Just be carefull with that. Centminmod does not support AlmaLinux for live sites currently. It is in BETA test only. Not sure if @eva2000 likes to have that beta installer code pubished here.

If you would like a web dashboard for your server, just install AlmaLinux 8 at a Hetzner VPS and activate Cockpit.

No need for Cpanel, if you just want to install and use XF. If you have no experience with Linux, I would recommend to get a fully managed server from any decent provider.

Thanks for all you replies.
After many days of research and with the help of an external developer, I have tried and played with many different options: Centos, Almalinux, different CP like Webuzo, CentOs Web Panel, Cloudpanel.
I have finally managed to have something installed.

• Hetzner VPS with Rocky 8 installed.
  • Then I updated to Almalinux 8.x.
  • CP webuzo.
  • Namecheap domain name.
  • All connected through Cloudflare.

I had some help to configure all this stuff + DNS, nameservers etc... as it was the first time for me, it was a steep learning curve, but very interesting.

Now I have the last part remaining: mails.

I was going with AWS SES, but the dev is advising me to go with another VPS that will be used as SMTP mail provider.

Well... that is not an easy choice considering that everyone has a different opinion.

The thing really important is of course the delivery, and I do not mind to go through an external provider if it will offer a good deliverability.
But my developer said: where is the logic by going with self hosting server for Xenforo instead of the cloud, if at the end it's to take an exernal provider for mail. And i think he as a point.

So now I have to dig and search what could be the best option.

If you want to guarantee deliverability... Amazon SES is the way to go.
Yes, depending on traffic it could cost you some funds... but I can promise you, unless your site is a blazing star on size... it will be cheaper than running a VPS with MailCow or such.

I've screwed with this for the past decade.. and have ran my own MTA on several different providers VPS's...and ALL of them had deliverability issues... once I went to Amazon SES... those issues went the way of the dodo.

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 3.32.08 AM.webp
The issue is a false positive... and related to Amazon SES itself.... not something I can ultimately control.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly:

SES is for transaction emails. Let's say no-reply@mydomain.com, and if you need an address where people can reply to you, you have a personnal email solution from zoho, namecheap etc...from where you create something like support@mydomain.com with a postal box that allows you to receive mails.

Isn't it possivble to create this address (support@mydomain.com) from SES, and configure it in a way that all mail that are sent on this address will be redirected to your personal gmail address?

I finally use my host (Gandi) server to handle mails after playing with Cloudflare or Mailjet services without be able to get good results with them.

Now i get good results.
1675253362610.webp

Top Bottom