Best Mail configuration for XenForo ?

USY

Hi folks,

I am running a VPS and Plesk together to host my community. The Domain is behind Cloudflare to hide the public IP to prevent DDoS flood attacks to the Server IP.

The problem is if I proxy the subdomain mail. with CF, it's no longer possible to sent mails trough XenForo.
So I decided to use the Brevo (formerly Sendinblue) SMTP server. But in this case I can't use the bounced email and unsubscribe email features.

I would be very happy about your ideas and suggestions to solve that issue.

Try gmail.com
I swear i've seen that type of email being used for a vbulletin site a friend of mine set up.
otherwise set up one with your isp if you want a secure email address.

SES might still be cheaper.

I'd have to agree ses can save you some money, unless you're sending out a lot of mail that is, I sent out 25,931 in March for a grand total of:

View attachment 286425

Yeah, the price are indeed very cheap. But how do you setup the:

• Automated bounced email handler
  • Automated unsubscribe email handler

since IMAP or POP3 is required ? Does the SES only smtp service ?

I'm using an add on for SES via resources to manage the handlers but I also use a dedicated SMTP account to manage bounced requests via the xenforo unbuilt system.

I'm using this add-on

As well as setting Gmail addresses for receiving bounce, complaint, unsubscribe emails. So far so good, although Amazon ses is somewhat daunting to get set up to begin with. I don't use mailboxes, only send it.

Late to the party but anyone looking try MXROUTE, especially if you get one of there Black Friday deals, got mine last year and $69 for 3 years, 25GB and multiple domains, use smtp for Xenforo emails, and imap for other, works an absolute treat and there ip reputation is excellent as is their spam filtering....

I don't know about others... but I (thank goodness) have a grandfathered ZoHo account that allows me 5 dedicated emails for a domain... and I have my bounced, unsubscribe and a few other domain specific accounts hosted there...but I am pretty sure you could do the same with GMail or any other "free" mail provider that allows remote IMAP/POP3 access... you may even be able to combine both into one account if XF specifically looks for unsubscribe/bounce headers (maybe @Chris D can clarify this point).
The only "real" issue is I have seen some reports that SES does not "forward" bounced/unsubscribe emails to other accounts.. in my limited testing, I have not found that to be an issue.

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 7.46.17 AM.webp

I'm curious, if you use something like SparkPost to send email.... how is you incoming email working? Right now it's all through my host, would I still receive it that way?? I guess these sendmail ideas work best for XF updates, news, alerts, mass emails, etc.?

Late to the party but anyone looking try MXROUTE, especially if you get one of there Black Friday deals, got mine last year and $69 for 3 years, 25GB and multiple domains, use smtp for Xenforo emails, and imap for other, works an absolute treat and there ip reputation is excellent as is their spam filtering....

I have created bounce and unsubscribe emails
I have used imap on xenforo for bounce and unsubscribe and it doesn’t work.

The sending with smtp works fine, can’t make it work for bounces, is there any trick?

Top Bottom