As designed Vote down button on question thread answer goes removes two votes at once

Mr Lucky

Affected version
I voted on an answer in a question thread
The counter goes to 1
Then I click on down button to remove the vote
But the count then goes to minus 1
I click on the down button again and it goes to 0

But if I click on the up button while it's at -1 it goes to (+)1

I don't consider that as a bug. If you want to remove the vote, it seems logical to click the upvote button again to remove the vote, just like you do when you want to un-react a post. What you are doing is that you change your mind and downvote the post instead.

If you upvote and then toggle it to a downvote, the swing will be 2: you're removing the +1 and replacing it with a -1.

I don't consider that as a bug. If you want to remove the vote, it seems logical to click the upvote button again to remove the vote,
It seems totally illogical to me. Up means up, down means down. Up twice doesn't imply down to me (by neither 1 nor 2).

It's like + and - buttons in permissions. plus button goes up 1, minus button brings it down by 1. That's what I would expect with arrows

It's common to see on websites anything that causes an incremental change, e.g. Name your price:

Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 13.52.42.webp

Up arrow goes up by £1, click it again and it goes up again. Click down and it goes back down to £1

And that is also the way that + and - buttons work for permissions on xenforo. It is the system I have got used to and expected behaviour.

Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 13.49.05.webp

Very confused I am.

As I wrote in another report, maybe there should be a X between upvote and downvote that removes what I have voted before?

It seems totally illogical to me. Up means up, down means down. Up twice doesn't imply down to me (by neither 1 nor 2).

It's like + and - buttons in permissions. plus button goes up 1, minus button brings it down by 1. That's what I would expect with arrows

It's common to see on websites anything that causes an incremental change, e.g. Name your price:

View attachment 228686

Up arrow goes up by £1, click it again and it goes up again. Click down and it goes back down to £1

And that is also the way that + and - buttons work for permissions on xenforo. It is the system I have got used to and expected behaviour.

View attachment 228687

Very confused I am.
You can do only one vote either positive or negative.

Clicking on positive will add +1
Clicking again lead to removal.

Clicking down after clicking on up will remove positive and will add negative 1

Clicking again will remove negative 1 and makes it zero.

Its only one choice you have either up or down or being neutral

With Beta 5 we have now changed the default behaviour.
  1. If you have not cast a vote, a click on either the up or down arrows registers the appropriate vote.
  2. If you have already cast a vote, a click on either the up or down arrow now cancels the existing vote and returns you to a state where you have not cast a vote.