Vision [Deleted]

Adam Howard

Adam Howard submitted a new resource:

Vision - style for the Visually Impaired

This style was made in mind for communities who may have individuals with "not so perfect" eye sight (the visually impaired). Generally associated with old age (but not guaranteed).

It was built off of "Naked XenForo" which already has the glossy photos removed; which reduces any possible glare for easier reading.

It also enlarges the standard text font globally and virtually changes "faded text" into standard text for further easier viewing.

View attachment 58787...

Read more about this resource...

First let me apologies to anyone who may have found themselves offended by the release of this theme.

I was unaware that releasing a style which maybe helpful for those who have a hard time seeing standard forum layouts would be a touchy subject matter to anyone. It was not my intention to offend anyone and I'm a little surprised that it would. :(

My only intention (desired goal) was to offer an alternative for individuals who may be mildly visually impaired. For example, my own Grandfather is 95 years old (he'll be 96 in January) and his eyesight is not what it once was. As is true for many other people who reach an older age (though obviously, not guaranteed by age).

I even became aware that there is a online forum community completely devoted to senior citizens (I know, I helped import them from IPB to XenForo). And one of the comments repeated was they would like something more clearer and easier to view.

This was my only intention & I released this alternative publicly just in case anyone else may have members with poorer eyesight.

So for the people who contacted me, I do apologies that you feel this style or this subject matter is offensive toward you. And I apologies in advance should this further end up offending anyone else. :(

First let me apologies to anyone who may have found themselves offended by the release of this theme.

I was unaware that releasing a style which maybe helpful for those who have a hard time seeing standard forum layouts would be a touchy subject matter to anyone. It was not my intention to offend anyone and I'm a little surprised that it would. :(

My only intention (desired goal) was to offer an alternative for individuals who may be mildly visually impaired. For example, my own Grandfather is 95 years old (he'll be 96 in January) and his eyesight is not what it once was. As is true for many other people who reach an older age (though obviously, not guaranteed by age).

I even became aware that there is a online forum community completely devoted to senior citizens (I know, I helped import them from IPB to XenForo). And one of the comments repeated was they would like something more clearer and easier to view.

This was my only intention & I released this alternative publicly just in case anyone else may have members with poorer eyesight.

So for the people who contacted me, I do apologies that you feel this style or this subject matter is offensive toward you. And I apologies in advance should this further end up offending anyone else. :(

People complained about this style? :/

@Adam Howard

One of my members has just been diagnosed with Glaucoma, and was going to look in to this in more detail to see if it helped him out. Was certainly going to look in to increasing the font size in his own custom theme.

Remember that you can't please everyone, but it might just please enough to be worthy in its own right!

@Adam Howard

One of my members has just been diagnosed with Glaucoma, and was going to look in to this in more detail to see if it helped him out. Was certainly going to look in to increasing the font size in his own custom theme.

Remember that you can't please everyone, but it might just please enough to be worthy in its own right!
This theme will evolve beyond just font changes. I've made a few color changes as well and the next beta will also make a few other color changes.

Hopefully this will be helpful for those who need it.

I don't see how this would ever upset anyone. :/

I don't see how this would ever upset anyone. :/
Nor do I.

But from what I gather 1 of the 6 people who contacted me suggested that I should not imply that "old age" could be a cause, but my description clearly notes that "age" is not always a factor (technically speaking, I really do hate trying to force myself to be "politically correct", but I did still include such a "PC" notice / waver)

This theme will evolve beyond just font changes. I've made a few color changes as well and the next beta will also make a few other color changes.
I know one of the things he struggles with is bright white background, so if there is a way to tone that down a little it would help I'm sure.

I know one of the things he struggles with is bright white background, so if there is a way to tone that down a little it would help I'm sure.
I'm testing 2 colors that seem to help. Trying to find a universal happy medium is what I'm doing now.

Which is funny you says that actually..... Every site including government sites for the disabled suggest bright white is best for easy viewing. But so far that has not been the majority of the feedback I'm getting.

Adam Howard updated Vision with a new update entry:

Font change

Commonly XenForo uses a wide range of fonts such as

'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif

However for easier viewing I have changed all the fonts to

'FranklinGothicFSBook', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif

Which happens to be the exact fonts that The American Foundation for The Blind uses on their own site for easier reading (as seen here http://www.afb.org/section.aspx?SectionID=57&TopicID=167&DocumentID=2175 )

Read the rest of this update entry...

Maybe you can test something for me :)

Appearance > Styles > Vision > Style Property > Color Palette

Change

@pageBackground
@contentBackground
@textCtrlBackground
@primaryLightest

To the following colour: #FBFAF4

This will still have the white look, but it will not be so bright. The hard part about vision is some people do need it white, while others can't exactly cope with it. So the idea is trying to find a balance.

This colour seems to work on the other community .... Personally, I didn't notice a difference, but they did and that's what's important. And maybe you can get some feedback from your member on this.

Adam Howard updated Vision with a new update entry:

Colour improvements

XenForo by default uses a lot white. But some people with less than perfect eye sight can not exactly cope with a pure, bight white background. However, the catch is some people with not so perfect eye sight also need a white background.

In an effort for find a "happy medium"

@contentBackground
@textCtrlBackground
@primaryLightest

As well as the text on the member card; was changed to #fbfaf4 This seems to work best.

Further more, @pageBackground was changed to #e1e2e8 in order to better frame the readable content for easier viewing, while helping prevent a white on white glare; thus putting things better into focus. :).

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
Top Bottom