1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vision [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Style Releases' started by Adam Howard, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Adam Howard submitted a new resource:

Vision - style for the Visually Impaired

Read more about this resource...
  2. Adam Howard

The only copyright text in this style is

Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2013 XenForo Ltd

This is the default copyright of XenForo forum software. You are unauthorized under any circumstances to removed this copyright unless you have express permission from XenForo Ltd or have purchased the branding removal for the XenForo software.

You may purchase such removal from XenForo directly
  3. Adam Howard

4. Adam Howard

First let me apologies to anyone who may have found themselves offended by the release of this theme.

I was unaware that releasing a style which maybe helpful for those who have a hard time seeing standard forum layouts would be a touchy subject matter to anyone. It was not my intention to offend anyone and I'm a little surprised that it would. :(

My only intention (desired goal) was to offer an alternative for individuals who may be mildly visually impaired. For example, my own Grandfather is 95 years old (he'll be 96 in January) and his eyesight is not what it once was. As is true for many other people who reach an older age (though obviously, not guaranteed by age).

I even became aware that there is a online forum community completely devoted to senior citizens (I know, I helped import them from IPB to XenForo). And one of the comments repeated was they would like something more clearer and easier to view.

This was my only intention & I released this alternative publicly just in case anyone else may have members with poorer eyesight.

So for the people who contacted me, I do apologies that you feel this style or this subject matter is offensive toward you. And I apologies in advance should this further end up offending anyone else. :(
  5. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

People complained about this style? :/
  6. Gazhyde

Gazhyde Well-Known Member

@Adam Howard

One of my members has just been diagnosed with Glaucoma, and was going to look in to this in more detail to see if it helped him out. Was certainly going to look in to increasing the font size in his own custom theme.

Remember that you can't please everyone, but it might just please enough to be worthy in its own right!
    Adam Howard likes this.
  7. Adam Howard

I got a few comments directed at me, yes.

Some people are more "touchy" and perhaps "emotional" than others. :cautious:
  8. Adam Howard

This theme will evolve beyond just font changes. I've made a few color changes as well and the next beta will also make a few other color changes.

Hopefully this will be helpful for those who need it.
    Gazhyde likes this.
  9. Matthew Hawley

Matthew Hawley Well-Known Member

I don't see how this would ever upset anyone. :/
  10. Adam Howard

Nor do I.

But from what I gather 1 of the 6 people who contacted me suggested that I should not imply that "old age" could be a cause, but my description clearly notes that "age" is not always a factor (technically speaking, I really do hate trying to force myself to be "politically correct", but I did still include such a "PC" notice / waver)
  11. Gazhyde

Gazhyde Well-Known Member

I know one of the things he struggles with is bright white background, so if there is a way to tone that down a little it would help I'm sure.
  12. Adam Howard

I'm testing 2 colors that seem to help. Trying to find a universal happy medium is what I'm doing now.

Which is funny you says that actually..... Every site including government sites for the disabled suggest bright white is best for easy viewing. But so far that has not been the majority of the feedback I'm getting.
  13. Adam Howard

Adam Howard updated Vision with a new update entry:

Font change

Read the rest of this update entry...
  14. 0xym0r0n

0xym0r0n Well-Known Member

You should see about adding http://opendyslexic.org/ as a font option too? I know this is for those who find it hard to read smaller text, but maybe toss this in as an option too? Just my two cents.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  15. Adam Howard

I'm trying to keep this with web safe fonts. Which also means not adding outside fonts as not all devices or browsers will download and process 3rd party fonts.
    0xym0r0n likes this.
  16. Adam Howard

Maybe you can test something for me :)

Appearance > Styles > Vision > Style Property > Color Palette

To the following colour: #FBFAF4

This will still have the white look, but it will not be so bright. The hard part about vision is some people do need it white, while others can't exactly cope with it. So the idea is trying to find a balance.

This colour seems to work on the other community .... Personally, I didn't notice a difference, but they did and that's what's important. And maybe you can get some feedback from your member on this.
  17. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Some people are just, well, idiots to be honest.

Don't let them get you down Adam!
    Adam Howard likes this.
  18. Adam Howard

I never let people get to me, but I also do try my best to respect the considerations of others when possible. :)
  19. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

People are quite clearly just trying to find faults. There is nothing offensive about your resource description. The world is officially becoming mad.
    Adam Howard and Amaury like this.
  20. Adam Howard

Adam Howard updated Vision with a new update entry:

Colour improvements

Read the rest of this update entry...
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013