VigLink

VigLink 1.1.3

No permission to download
Any way to keep the links out of the footer/post editor / forum titles etc. outside of using excessive amounts of "nolinks" div class? Feel like this should be built into an add-on, to ONLY insert links into posts and not various other areas. On XF1.5 this is how it worked, now they're just everywhere!!

Any way to keep the links out of the footer/post editor / forum titles etc. outside of using excessive amounts of "nolinks" div class? Feel like this should be built into an add-on, to ONLY insert links into posts and not various other areas. On XF1.5 this is how it worked, now they're just everywhere!!
Yeah, not crazy about this either. VigLink got bought out by Sovrn. I don't think anybody is paying attention here anymore...

Yes, this needs to be fixed. It should only be targeting "post" areas.

So annoying that "thread starter" gets VigLinked on all my forums...
One cure for that is to contact your rep and have them blacklist the phrase "thread starter" on their end. That should prevent it from being linked. (The blacklist is a way they can disable phrases that shouldn't be linked.)

Given that this plugin has some issues, what is the best way to manually install Viglink on XenForo 2.1? Step-by-step instructions would be appreciated.
If there's a "post" template, I'd put it there. In the footer, you'll have the links showing up everywhere you don't want them. I'm just not sure which template would cover only the post table... That's where I'd like to manually put my code...

I've pasting the code from the Viglink site in the PAGE_CONTAINER template just above the </body> tag.

My Viglink settings are set as in the screenshot below. I haven't had an issue with Viglink linking random phrases.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-05-19 145138.webp
    Annotation 2019-05-19 145138.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 22
Another hassle with this plugin is that any new member who signs up and posts a message that VigLink picks up - and links - needs to have their post approved, as I don't allow links by brand new members... Not enough thought went into this plugin...

I've pasting the code from the Viglink site in the PAGE_CONTAINER template just above the </body> tag.

My Viglink settings are set as in the screenshot below. I haven't had an issue with Viglink linking random phrases.
I do, unfortunately, and it is showing up in phrases like "thread starter" and even post and poll titles, where it shouldn't be.

That is why a comprehensive plug-in is needed or at the very least, some way to disable the linking in all areas except for the bodies of forum posts. I want monetization as much as everyone else, but it needs to happen where it is expected, not in any random text. We can't blame the VigLink system for it, since its job is to find keywords and change them into monetized links--it can't know what is or isn't supposed to be linkable, just due to the fact that it is used across so many different platforms. That would leave them with only two options. 1) Add a ton of extra code, such as conditionals, that detect which platform it is installed on, and adjust automatically; this is just added bloat that will slow everyone's site down. 2) Create different code for each platform, which is tedious for them to maintain, especially given how many different installed versions of each platform still exist out there in the wild.

I have to look at this issue myself, since I have quite a few sites using it. If I come up with edits to the templates that will help, I'll let everyone know.

Another hassle with this plugin is that any new member who signs up and posts a message that VigLink picks up - and links - needs to have their post approved, as I don't allow links by brand new members... Not enough thought went into this plugin...
That's odd, since the JavaScript should be acting on the text as it is loading in the visitor's browser, not inserted into posts that get added to the database. We have that same spam protection on our forums, and given the tens of thousands of moderated posts our forum staffs have approved over the past several years, it's never come up. I'll keep an eye on it though--anything is possible!

I do, unfortunately, and it is showing up in phrases like "thread starter" and even post and poll titles, where it shouldn't be.
Try disabling the Insert feature of Viglink. I have that disabled on my primary API and don't run into those problems.

Try disabling the Insert feature of Viglink. I have that disabled on my primary API and don't run into those problems.
I thought of it, but we make a substantial amount from Insert. (Depending on which site or forum it is, we sometimes disable Insert for logged-in members.)

@Brian Lovett - I just made a post from a news story about Colorado.
The world Colorado was then linked about 20 times in the article post. How annoying.
Is there any way to stop this type of multiple linking of the same word within a post???
Thanks,

J.

@Rudy - have you made any progress with conditionally disabling Viglink, or disabling it in certain areas?

We need to disable Viglink on certain threads (all the posts within the threads) and I found my way here.

Looks as though we may need to hire a Xenforo plugin developer to either extend this plugin to get what we need, or code a custom Xenforo plugin to get the functionality we need.

I have been working on other projects and haven't touched this issue as of yet. But mainly I want to eliminate links in the postbit and in thread titles, and that shouldn't be too hard to modify a couple of templates to do it.

I just upgrade to XF 2.1 and need to get Viglink working again, but not linking text, just URLs that are inserted by members. Any chance of this add-on being fixed or is there another alternative?

Has anyone had trouble with Viglink inserting garbage onto their page? One of my more technically adept members got a malware warning on my forum linking to known bad domains like dx . bigsea . weborama . com & ce . lijit . com . As soon as the Viglink JS was removed the problem went away. I know VG sold last year or the year before and hope it's just a temporary issue on their end. It's nice to make a few bucks off affiliating links but not if they're going to pull stuff like that.

I was using Viglink (for years now) and just moved from SMF to XF2. I might just ditch them and look at alternatives.

Has anyone had trouble with Viglink inserting garbage onto their page? One of my more technically adept members got a malware warning on my forum linking to known bad domains like dx . bigsea . weborama . com & ce . lijit . com . As soon as the Viglink JS was removed the problem went away. I know VG sold last year or the year before and hope it's just a temporary issue on their end. It's nice to make a few bucks off affiliating links but not if they're going to pull stuff like that.
I got in touch with VigLink (Sovrn) it seems they rolled out a new ad exchange feature and that's what was causing the junky domains to be called via VigLink. Currently working with them on setting up an API key that affiliates links only without all the other junk.

Something similar happened a year or two back they rolled out a feature rewriting product links to the vendor that paid the most commission. It upset some of my members. Of course it was switched on by default. o_O

Top Bottom