Video thumbnail without FFMPEG?

VanillaNeko

Good evening,

I relaunch this subject because I would like to know is it possible to have a miniature without having FFMPEG?

Because I do not have a VPS.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Regards,

VanillaNeko

Good evening,

I would like to add a question. Is it possible to generate a thumbnail other than by FFMEG?

Because FFMPEG is not available on shared offerings.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Regards,

VanillaNeko

So the add-on is more oriented for people with a dedicated server or VPS and become obselete for people with a shared offer. Especially if you want to use only the video part.
Not at all. XFMG is very usable on shared hosting for uploaded images, linked videos (e.g. YouTube). You can still upload some videos too that will play in modern browsers, you just can't upload videos that need transcoding or automatically generate thumbnails for uploaded videos without FFMPEG.

Do note that you can manually add your own thumbnail (which you have created yourself) to uploaded videos as well as to other media added to XFMG.

Not at all. XFMG is very usable on shared hosting for uploaded images, linked videos (e.g. YouTube). You can still upload some videos too that will play in modern browsers, you just can't upload videos that need transcoding or automatically generate thumbnails for uploaded videos without FFMPEG.

Do note that you can manually add your own thumbnail (which you have created yourself) to uploaded videos as well as to other media added to XFMG.

Thank you for the clarification @Martok.

So for a video hosted elsewhere for example YouTube, the video will have right to its miniature? The, I took the YouTube example, but it should work for any video heberger elsewhere?

If I understand correctly, FFMPEG is only use for heberger videos either and for encoding if have to download the video?

Thumbnails from some video sites such as YouTube, Liveleak, Metacafe, Vimeo and Dailymotion are already configured to pull thumbnails. Other sites can be configured in the Media Site Options in the ACP. Some sites cannot have thumbnails pulled from their sites (such as Facebook) - for these you can configure a default image (e.g. a Facebook thumbnail) to be used instead. Of course once videos are added to the gallery from these sites, you can still choose to change the thumbnail and manually add one of your own.

FFMPEG is only needed for transcoding uploaded videos that won't play in modern browsers (so mp4 doesn't need transcoding whereas I think wmv does) and for automatically creating thumbnails for uploaded videos.

Thumbnails from some video sites such as YouTube, Liveleak, Metacafe, Vimeo and Dailymotion are already configured to pull thumbnails. Other sites can be configured in the Media Site Options in the ACP. Some sites cannot have thumbnails pulled from their sites (such as Facebook) - for these you can configure a default image (e.g. a Facebook thumbnail) to be used instead. Of course once videos are added to the gallery from these sites, you can still choose to change the thumbnail and manually add one of your own.

FFMPEG is only needed for transcoding uploaded videos that won't play in modern browsers (so mp4 doesn't need transcoding whereas I think wmv does) and for automatically creating thumbnails for uploaded videos.

Or does the option in the ACP?

Thanks to you, the add-on attracts my attention again. Remains more cases know or that finds the option in the CPA and I think to cross the course.

Again thank you to take the time to illuminate my lantern.

Top Bottom