XF 1.1 vBulletin to xenForo preparation question

Brent W

I posted this to vBulletin customer support:

Hi there,

I recently acquired a forum that has over 5,000 sub forums. I am looking to consolidate these forums and in doing so would like to find a more efficient way of doing so than using:

1) The forum manager to delete the forums one by one
2) moving threads from one forum to another using either the inline moderation tools or the bulk admin function

It would be really nice to have a query that I could setup and run once that would:

Move all threads in forums 'x,y,z' to forum 'a'

Delete all forums with id 'x,y,z'

What is the best way to go about this?

Would this be easier to do if I converted to xenForo first or easier to take care of if I did it on the vBulletin side first?

So your goal is to merge both sites into 1 single site and use XenForo as the final product, correct?

XenForo does not yet have a working merge option (its slowly in development).

So your best bet is to merge them using the vBulletin importer and from there divide and move what you want, then import it into XenForo.

I stand corrected.... You could import site 1 into XenForo (from vBulletin), than import site 2 into XenForo (from vBulletin).

Had to read that again.

This is only one forum that has a lot of sub forums. It is currently on vBulletin but will be on xenForo soon. I just need to know if I should remove the forums on vBulletin before I do the conversion or not?

This is only one forum that has a lot of sub forums. It is currently on vBulletin but will be on xenForo soon. I just need to know if I should remove the forums on vBulletin before I do the conversion or not?
I updated my post....

No you should be safe to import directly into XenForo. The importer will change the ID numbers for those forum for you. So that they will each have their own ID number.

From there you can move or divide the site as you see fit.

I would advise you to do this cleanup in vB before importing to XF. Either way can work, but there are some reasons why it might be better in vB.

1) vB has a mass move utility in the Admin CP, XF does not.

2) vB has a less complex forum and permission structure which might make manual queries on those data types easier.

3) While both vB and XF have scaling issues with large numbers of forums, it is less of an issue in vB. XF takes on extra processing at save time in the name of performance.

Top Bottom