vbulletin in /forums -> XF showforum breaks if XF is in the root

Tigratrus

Ran into a problem. Our current vB installation is in /forums. Been playing around on the testbed and after moving XF into the web root I found that clicking on a forum name in forumhome (so that it tries to bring up showforum) breaks because the url path is in the format: domain/forums/news-and-announcements.78/ and this conflicts with the REAL /forums directory

Ok... SO I renamed the vbulletin installation directory from /forums -> /forums_legacy and the problem is solved, right?

Wrong.

Now the redirect scripts cannot be used because every single vbulletin link is now broken because the new URL is domain/forums_legacy vs. domain/forums. So we'd lose every single link to our site from Google etc.

We can't be the only ones that have run into this problem with the default routing... Can anyone point me towards a solution? Thx!

Now the redirect scripts cannot be used because every single vbulletin link is now broken because the new URL is domain/forums_legacy vs. domain/forums. So we'd lose every single link to our site from Google etc.
Can't you just rewrite the vBulletin scripts using the new /forums_legacy in place of /forums?

That's true, and I don't know extensive .htaccess configuration but you can wrap conditionals in .htaccess...

I'll take a look at Kier's redirection scripts and see if I can come up with something, though don't hold your breath.

You could turn off friendly URLs in xenForo. Then xenForo's forums path won't conflict with the forums directory where vB resides.

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) -> Use Full Friendly URLs

Then remove the .htaccess file.

Yes, but we really want to stay with the Full Friendly URLs.
I'm guessing that we're not the only folks that had vBulletin in a "forum" or "forums" folder and want to run XF at the root?

We are using Full Friendly URLs.
We used to be at mysite.com/forums and now we are at mysite.com

Works for us. 310config.php, forumdisplay.php, index.php, showpost.php, showthread.php need to be in the mysite/forums directory... that is all we have in the mysite.com/forums directory.

We are using Full Friendly URLs.
We used to be at mysite.com/forums and now we are at mysite.com

Works for us. 310config.php, forumdisplay.php, index.php, showpost.php, showthread.php need to be in the mysite/forums directory... that is all we have in the mysite.com/forums directory.
Dean, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, on ours it throws an error if I change it back to /forums. It's not a question of what's IN the directory, AFAICT it's simply a conflict with having a real /forums folder when you try to go to the show forum page for any individual forum.

The weird thing is that the error is *STILL* referencing files in /community when we haven't had that folder since we moved XF to the root several days ago:

Code:
Warning: require(/home/ikeafans/public_html/community/library/XenForo/Autoloader.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/ikeafans/public_html/forums/forumdisplay.php on line 11

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/ikeafans/public_html/community/library/XenForo/Autoloader.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/ikeafans/public_html/forums/forumdisplay.php on line 11
Originally we were getting that error all over the place after the move, rebooted the server to clear out any opcode cache, and it seemed to have gone away except for this instance.

Top Bottom