• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

vBulletin 4.x URL Redirection

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, well, I set the thing up according to directions. So to whom do I go for assistance? A service ticket?

And do I have to keep the original forum's files active for this to work?

The instructions are NOT clear sufficiently to make those decisions. Am I supposed to put in the old forum's URL somewhere? I don't see any interface.

OK, nearly three weeks and no response. The instructions are pathetic, because they don't make it clear if you are supposed to keep your old vB installation or not.

If anyone needs helping writing instructions, let me know. I've done that for a living, but I need to know what the actual steps are in plain English first.

Meantime, I'm awaiting. I filed a support ticket. Maybe they can respond clearly and concisely. But I'm not holding out hope. :(

But if someone wants to look at the original Mod Rewrite stuff in my old vB installation and tell me how it relates to the new XenForo install in a new folder, let me know and I'll post that info.

I have vb4 mod-rewrite urls.
My vbulletin forum is on my site root (so is wordpress).
My xenforo forum is on a folder on my site root called forum
I am also using an archived import log
I entered the path of xenforo forum and nave of import log table in 301 file.

I have done the following steps highlighted in green.

Mod_Rewrite URLs:

1. Upload contents of standard-basic-advanced/upload folder to your forum root.
  2. If your old rewrite rules are still in place, your URLs may work at this stage. If not, continue to install a route-based alternative: (and be sure to disable any remaining vB4 rewrite rules as they may interfere with the routes)
  3. Upload contents of mod_rewrite/upload folder to your forum root.
  4. Install the addon XML file mod_rewrite/addon_vB4Redir.xml
  5. If your URLs are not working, follow these instructions: http://xenforo.com/help/import-redirection/
The URLs did not work at number 2. I have not changed my vbulletin .htaccess at all.

When it says 'be sure to disable any remaining vb4 rewrite rules as they may interfere with the routes'

Does that mean to delete the mod-rewrite rules in my vbulletin htaccess?

This is why I regard these redirection scripts as confusing. I assumed the intent was to allow your existing board URLs to access the same boards on your XF installation after you import the content from the vB forum, that you don't need the old mod_rewrite directives, nor the old installation after moving over. This is important for continuity, but it seems that the directions could be a little less obtuse.

This is why I regard these redirection scripts as confusing. I assumed the intent was to allow your existing board URLs to access the same boards on your XF installation after you import the content from the vB forum, that you don't need the old mod_rewrite directives, nor the old installation after moving over. This is important for continuity, but it seems that the directions could be a little less obtuse.
I agree the directions need some work forreal. My import went fine except for blogs and attachments not making it but when it came to redirections I've been at this ALL DAY.

OK, here's where we stand.

I'm trying to make this work.

I first installed the basic version, just the files in the root forum folder.

301 config set to the proper path for the forum, and the proper name of the import log table.

No dice.

Then tried the mod_rewrite version (since we're using the mod_rewrite friendly URLs with XF 1.1b4).

No dice.

Our vB 4 installation used their mod_rewrite advanced URLs.

We did a fresh import of the vB 4 stuff in XF 1.0.4 before updating. I removed the standard default node first, so it was clean.

Here's an example: http://www.theparacast.com/forum/threads/8909-Dust-and-What-Was-That

It sends you to the forum's home page, but not to the thread listed.

So where do I go from here? anyone?

I'm having the same problem as Gene. No matter what I try, all links get redirected to the forum homepage.

Really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I upload the basic files, I've also tried installing the addon etc, everything just results in a redirect to the homepage...

Edit: Ah bugger, nevermind, it's actually working for me now. Stupid browser kept caching the redirect or something. Hope someone with a bit more knowledge can help you with your issue, Gene.

I'm most concerned over the fact that the author of this add-on has not responded in two weeks. While I understand personal issues might have kept that person away, if support is going to be abandoned, wouldn't we all like to know? Besides, this is a critical product for people who are switching from vBulletin, and it would be regrettable if such problems, which do not seem uncommon, aren't addressed.

Kinneas,

I just had 'basic' URL's with VB4, the redirects for me would only work if the t= (showthread?t=) was on the end of showthread.php? (which they weren't on VB)

Adding this line sorted it for me:
RewriteRule [^/]+/([\d]+)-.+.html showthread.php?t=$1 [NC,L]

This probably won't apply to Gene's problem though :(

It may also be that the import process may have failed to deliver the proper post ID, but at least it should have taken the visitor to the proper thread.

But I can certainly try your fix and let you know.

Take Two: It didn't work, but maybe that's a direction to follow, with the right redirect. Anyone?

Have you tried the original vbulletin rewrite rules (with the XF addon disabled but files still in place) or removing them if they are still in place (with the XF addon enabled)?

The rewrites are removed. But I still have them. Would that hurt current posts, or are they strictly linked to vB redirections? Do I keep the add-on installed?

Update: Most of the vBulletin rewrite rules are similar to the ones already there for XF.

The main differences are these:

Code:
# Forum
RewriteRule ^threads/.* showthread.php [QSA]
RewriteRule ^forums/.* forumdisplay.php [QSA]
RewriteRule ^members/.* member.php [QSA]
But it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Can anyone help with the archive re-direct?

I posted on the V3 thread but no reply :(

We are getting a lot of traffic coming through to the archives, but just generating an error screen, the server logs show this:

Error Info
ErrorException: preg_match() [<a href='function.preg-match'>function.preg-match</a>]: Compilation failed: unrecognized character after (?&lt; at offset 27 - /var/www/vhosts/vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/httpdocs/archive/index.php:19
Generated By: Unknown Account, 1 minute ago
Stack Trace
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handlePhpError('#/archive/index...', '/archive/index....', NULL)
#1 /var/www/vhosts/vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/httpdocs/archive/index.php(19): preg_match()
#2 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(71) "http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/archive/index.php/f-29-p-41.html"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom