• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

vBulletin 4.x URL Redirection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke F

This addon (as requested here) expands upon the existing vB3 URL redirection scripts to support the Standard, Basic, Advanced and Mod_Rewrite modes available in vB4.

Currently supported URLs include:

• Forums
  • Threads
  • Post permalinks
  • Members
  • Attachments
  • Print thread view
Installation:

Standard, Basic or Advanced URLs:

1. Upload contents of standard-basic-advanced/upload folder to your forum root.
  2. If your URLs are not working, follow these instructions: http://xenforo.com/help/import-redirection/
  3. If you are using nginx and Advanced mode URLs, you may need the following rewrites:
    Code:
    rewrite ^/showthread.php /showthread.php;
     rewrite ^/forumdisplay.php /forumdisplay.php;
Mod_Rewrite URLs:

1. Upload contents of standard-basic-advanced/upload folder to your forum root.
  2. If your old rewrite rules are still in place, your URLs may work at this stage. If not, continue to install a route-based alternative: (and be sure to disable any remaining vB4 rewrite rules as they may interfere with the routes)
  3. Upload contents of mod_rewrite/upload folder to your forum root.
  4. Install the addon XML file mod_rewrite/addon_vB4Redir.xml
  5. If your URLs are not working, follow these instructions: http://xenforo.com/help/import-redirection/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Change of directory:

Follow these instructions if you wish to also change your forum directory when moving from vBulletin. A basic understanding of rewrite rules is required - these are just examples. To specify the root directory, swap out /old-dir/ or /new-dir/ for /

Standard, Basic or Advanced URLs:

Apache: (untested)
Code:
RewriteRule ^/old-dir/showthread.php /new-dir/showthread.php
RewriteRule ^/old-dir/forumdisplay.php /new-dir/forumdisplay.php
Nginx:
Code:
rewrite ^/old-dir/showthread.php /new-dir/showthread.php;
rewrite ^/old-dir/forumdisplay.php /new-dir/forumdisplay.php;
Mod_Rewrite URLs: (Note that these are only tested with the route-based redirection system)

Apache: (untested)
Code:
RewriteRule ^/old-dir/threads/ /new-dir/threads
RewriteRule ^/old-dir/forums/ /new-dir/forums
Nginx:
Code:
rewrite ^/old-dir/threads/ /new-dir/threads;
rewrite ^/old-dir/forums/ /new-dir/forums;
Donations go here. :)

Attachments

kkm323

Thanx a lot for this mod

I am using this type of url in my old vb4 site
showthread.php?ID-Title

so what i did so far
i uploaded these files in [standard-basic-advanced/upload] to my xenforo directory
then i add the following lines in my .htaccess file

Code:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

--------
this won't work so i installed the other option
without any luck

please help
thanx

Paul M

so what i did so far
i uploaded these files in [standard-basic-advanced/upload] to my xenforo directory
then i add the following lines in my .htaccess file

Code:
I take it you did read this bit about the re-writes ?

If you are using nginx and Advanced mode URLs ....
Are you using advanced mode and running nginx ?

kkm323

I take it you did read this bit about the re-writes ?

Are you using advanced mode and running nginx ?
No, I am not using nginx, but i have to try each one of those options to make this work

please verify if this worked for you

thank you pual

Anthony Parsons

well done! I hope you'll get the promised two hundred :)
There will be zero issue with that... just ask Paul M above. I am a man of my word. DI has built it and it works... and DI has an excellent rep for supporting products built.

I haven't tested it myself, but kkm above got it working... so that is a damn good start.

Anthony Parsons

I have to say... I already now feel a great relief in changing over platforms knowing all my traffic will be redirected and spidering won't be any issue.

Anthony Parsons

I figure some incentives will only help boost XF as a whole along... more mods equal more users overall. I know this is one thing that was really hindering my move of my main forum... whilst I could move it, I wasn't going to be real happy losing all my existing URL traffic. Now I don't have to suffer, nor any other vb4 user... another hurdle removed from vb4.x users towards converting over successfully.

Anthony Parsons

DI... I presume this works based on the new xenforo forum going into the same location as the suite was, which for most would be the root... however; wanting to have a CMS at the root and the forum in say /f or some folder, what mods would one need to do in order to change that for the mod_rewrite version?

I ask as I know plenty are going to be in the same boat, being their new forum will go into a folder vs. the root, as the suite being an all-in-one solution vs. installing multiple products to get the same outcome.

Not having installed this yet... is this configurable from the ACP, as I see it has an upload?

Ranger375

Quick question before I do this. If my current VB forum is at /vb and my xF forum is installed at /forum, will it redirect to the /forum? Or does it have to be in the same directory?

Also, is it safe to go ahead and delete all my vb files/db except for the uploaded files after the fact?

Thanks, and great mod!

Luke F

Changing directory will take some extra rewrites. I'll throw together some examples for apache and nginx later (on my galaxy s atm).

@ranger - I strongly recommend you don't delete your old db or files, or at least keep a backup. I managed to empty my import link table 3 times during the import, having to start from scratch and manually merge stuff each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.