• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

vBulletin 4.x URL Redirection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke F

This addon (as requested here) expands upon the existing vB3 URL redirection scripts to support the Standard, Basic, Advanced and Mod_Rewrite modes available in vB4.

Currently supported URLs include:

• Forums
  • Threads
  • Post permalinks
  • Members
  • Attachments
  • Print thread view
Installation:

Standard, Basic or Advanced URLs:

1. Upload contents of standard-basic-advanced/upload folder to your forum root.
  2. If your URLs are not working, follow these instructions: http://xenforo.com/help/import-redirection/
  3. If you are using nginx and Advanced mode URLs, you may need the following rewrites:
    Code:
    rewrite ^/showthread.php /showthread.php;
     rewrite ^/forumdisplay.php /forumdisplay.php;
Mod_Rewrite URLs:

1. Upload contents of standard-basic-advanced/upload folder to your forum root.
  2. If your old rewrite rules are still in place, your URLs may work at this stage. If not, continue to install a route-based alternative: (and be sure to disable any remaining vB4 rewrite rules as they may interfere with the routes)
  3. Upload contents of mod_rewrite/upload folder to your forum root.
  4. Install the addon XML file mod_rewrite/addon_vB4Redir.xml
  5. If your URLs are not working, follow these instructions: http://xenforo.com/help/import-redirection/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Change of directory:

Follow these instructions if you wish to also change your forum directory when moving from vBulletin. A basic understanding of rewrite rules is required - these are just examples. To specify the root directory, swap out /old-dir/ or /new-dir/ for /

Standard, Basic or Advanced URLs:

Apache: (untested)
Code:
RewriteRule ^/old-dir/showthread.php /new-dir/showthread.php
RewriteRule ^/old-dir/forumdisplay.php /new-dir/forumdisplay.php

Nginx:
Code:
rewrite ^/old-dir/showthread.php /new-dir/showthread.php;
rewrite ^/old-dir/forumdisplay.php /new-dir/forumdisplay.php;

Mod_Rewrite URLs: (Note that these are only tested with the route-based redirection system)

Apache: (untested)
Code:
RewriteRule ^/old-dir/threads/ /new-dir/threads
RewriteRule ^/old-dir/forums/ /new-dir/forums

Nginx:
Code:
rewrite ^/old-dir/threads/ /new-dir/threads;
rewrite ^/old-dir/forums/ /new-dir/forums;

Donations go here. :)

Attachments

Thanx a lot for this mod

I am using this type of url in my old vb4 site
showthread.php?ID-Title

so what i did so far
i uploaded these files in [standard-basic-advanced/upload] to my xenforo directory
then i add the following lines in my .htaccess file

Code:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

--------
this won't work so i installed the other option
without any luck

please help
thanx

so what i did so far
i uploaded these files in [standard-basic-advanced/upload] to my xenforo directory
then i add the following lines in my .htaccess file

Code:

I take it you did read this bit about the re-writes ?

If you are using nginx and Advanced mode URLs ....

Are you using advanced mode and running nginx ?

I take it you did read this bit about the re-writes ?

Are you using advanced mode and running nginx ?
No, I am not using nginx, but i have to try each one of those options to make this work

please verify if this worked for you

thank you pual

well done! I hope you'll get the promised two hundred :)
There will be zero issue with that... just ask Paul M above. I am a man of my word. DI has built it and it works... and DI has an excellent rep for supporting products built.

I haven't tested it myself, but kkm above got it working... so that is a damn good start.

I have to say... I already now feel a great relief in changing over platforms knowing all my traffic will be redirected and spidering won't be any issue.

I figure some incentives will only help boost XF as a whole along... more mods equal more users overall. I know this is one thing that was really hindering my move of my main forum... whilst I could move it, I wasn't going to be real happy losing all my existing URL traffic. Now I don't have to suffer, nor any other vb4 user... another hurdle removed from vb4.x users towards converting over successfully.

DI... I presume this works based on the new xenforo forum going into the same location as the suite was, which for most would be the root... however; wanting to have a CMS at the root and the forum in say /f or some folder, what mods would one need to do in order to change that for the mod_rewrite version?

I ask as I know plenty are going to be in the same boat, being their new forum will go into a folder vs. the root, as the suite being an all-in-one solution vs. installing multiple products to get the same outcome.

Not having installed this yet... is this configurable from the ACP, as I see it has an upload?

Quick question before I do this. If my current VB forum is at /vb and my xF forum is installed at /forum, will it redirect to the /forum? Or does it have to be in the same directory?

Also, is it safe to go ahead and delete all my vb files/db except for the uploaded files after the fact?

Thanks, and great mod!

Changing directory will take some extra rewrites. I'll throw together some examples for apache and nginx later (on my galaxy s atm).

@ranger - I strongly recommend you don't delete your old db or files, or at least keep a backup. I managed to empty my import link table 3 times during the import, having to start from scratch and manually merge stuff each time.

Thanks, Dark. So to use this without any modifications, I would have to just add all my xF files to my /vb directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom