vBulletin 4 to XenForo comparison, part 2

I want to convert from vB 4.0, it looks like I need:
Blog // this is #1 for me, we use the vB blog...

I will be back in a month or two. This looks really good!

LN Blog is quite a solid alternative, and AFAIK, XF doesn't plan on a blog in the near future.

LN Blog is quite a solid alternative, and AFAIK, XF doesn't plan on a blog in the near future.

Thanks!

I am going to give XF a couple of months. I can't deal with the migration sooner anyway.
I think we WILL migrate. But I need to migrate everything in our vB 4.0 setup (I have some stuff in the CMS, but can lose that... I cannot lose the blogs...)

I don't see Reputation as something that is missing, xenForo has the much better and more modern Like feature.

Thanks!

I am going to give XF a couple of months. I can't deal with the migration sooner anyway.
I think we WILL migrate. But I need to migrate everything in our vB 4.0 setup (I have some stuff in the CMS, but can lose that... I cannot lose the blogs...)

I am in the exact same boat :)

The only problem about listing the mods that cover what is missing, is that if Mike and Kier add their own. Lets say for instance the Blog. There is a wonderful blog addon here in the addons section. Lets say Mike and Kier add their own official blog and my members have 100+ blogs from the addon. If no converter is made then we lose that content, URL's may change etc. A lot of times mod authors move on in life and the mod is not compatible with future versions of the core software. We lose content that way as well. One thing I did notice if you add a feature to your site and your users use it and enjoy it. Then you take it away they find another site that still has that feature.

That's why a lot of times I try and wait for the software to come with a feature for what I need. Before using a addon.
There's no reason you should "lose" that content.

For example, since my add-on is mentioned and I've said this before, if XF released their own blog software I'd provide an exporter for it and retire the add-on, or if my functionality/implementation is nice enough, some users my actually prefer to use mine and thus I'd keep it going.

Even if something were to happen to me in which I wouldn't be able to provide an exporter for it, the code is viewable but more importantly that needed information is stored in the database. It might be extreme, but if it's absolutely necessary, you or someone else could create an exporter for that data, and with a little more work could create URL redirects. It's not that difficult to do in XF, and this is something that I imagine could go for any add-on built on the XF platform.

So even if there's a chance something could happen to an add-on developer, it shouldn't be that big of an issue in terms of worrying about that content or feature, especially for developers that are more rooted within the community as it's unlikely that they will disappear.

There's always that risk and I can't ever say it will be a zero-chance of happening, but I also can't say the same for Kier/Mike except that for them being unable to support XenForo would be less likely to occur.

Top Bottom