vBulletin 4 Iphone App!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is better Tapatalk or IB's vB iphone app ?

I know it's off topic a bit to this subject, but I never liked tapatalk because your members needed to buy it, and don't know anything about the vB iPhone app except I don't own an iPhone.

I do like how IPB handles their mobile style. It requires no App, No special phone, all equal across the os's and phones making it a better choice for xF to go in I believe.

Jamie

Not sure why every bit of vBulletin needs to be announced here. This is xenForo people.
Since this thread is veering off topic, then there is no discussion of any other forum software that are developing a new product or feature?
I think the sensitivity meter is running just a bit high. No one should let their emotions get the best of them.

Apps are neat. However, if the phone supports it and the screen is big enough, I would much prefer just using the browser. I do, however, understand the need for apps on platforms other than iphone. For instance, I have a Blackberry Curve for work which has a small screen. An app would benefit this phone. I also have a IPhone for a personal phone (Which I was in Shelly's camp prior to owning one, hated them, was always a Blackberry guy) which I find the browser is better to use.
Now, having said all that, An IPhone app for xenforo and VB would be cool for one thing, the allowance of push notifications on alerts, conversations (PM's), etc.. I have used Tapatalk on my VB forums but I find myself using the browser mostly.

Last I looked, iphone has more than 30% of the mobile market share, and I believe android was catching, but it was still pretty slow as the ipad has now bumped up Apples overall share, from last reading some credible market research, ie. Nielsen and such major statistical data companies.

If you want to review decent facts, then here is Nielsen's stats on mobile market share, which uses the last 3 quarters of 09 and first of 10: http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/iphone-vs-android/

As you can see... iphone trumps android, but blackberry still holds the major percentage of the smartphone market.

I can't find the latest data I was reading not long ago, but I'm pretty sure Android had moved over 10%, iphone and blackberry where about even on 30% each.

vbulletin has many great features, but it dosent help me when my users think it is to difficult to use my vb powered site. How do they follow people they like? how do they indicate they like a post? those are the features needed to get people to post and comming back.

by the way this was commented on my mobile phone :)

iPhone can browse most sites nicely without an app. There is an IMDb app but I never use it because I want the complete site. It means more zooming but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. The real question here is: why bother with focussing on things like this when you should probably worry about other things like UI, decent code and debugging.

The world doesn't revolve around a stupid iphone. Seems like developers think the whole population own iphones. I loathe iphones.

I dearly love my iPhone 3GS. How did I ever function without it, I wonder now? What do you loathe about it so much? Would be interesting to hear your arguments.

Yes, even the app, it's silly, stupid, redundant.

Why exactly? Although a few people in this thread have expressed their preference to browse sites on the iPhone (or any mobile platform for that matter) through the browser, I find myself enjoying mobile Apps very much for browsing. Especially when the website doesn't provide a dedicated mobile style (yes, those sites do exist) and also even -in most cases- when there is a mobile style available.

The whole reading/user-experience is just so much better when you have a dedicated app in your hands. No more endless scrolling and zooming and freaking dropdowns... the list goes on and on. Really, if people want/expect a full-functional website on a tiny little mobile phone screen, then by all means switch on your PC/MAC! I never grasp why people prefer browsing a site through Safari on their iPhone if there is a dedicated app available. The benefits of an App are so obvious, aren't they?

So why call it silly, stupid and redundant? I believe it's none of that at all... in fact it is a very good additional service/product that both Invision and now vBulletin are offering to their customers.

I dearly love my iPhone 3GS. How did I ever function without it, I wonder now? What do you loathe about it so much? Would be interesting to hear your arguments.

Why exactly? Although a few people in this thread have expressed their preference to browse sites on the iPhone (or any mobile platform for that matter) through the browser, I find myself enjoying mobile Apps very much for browsing. Especially when the website doesn't provide a dedicated mobile style (yes, those sites do exist) and also even -in most cases- when there is a mobile style available.

The whole reading/user-experience is just so much better when you have a dedicated app in your hands. No more endless scrolling and zooming and freaking dropdowns... the list goes on and on. Really, if people want/expect a full-functional website on a tiny little mobile phone screen, then by all means switch on your PC/MAC! I never grasp why people prefer browsing a site through Safari on their iPhone if there is a dedicated app available. The benefits of an App are so obvious, aren't they?

So why call it silly, stupid and redundant? I believe it's none of that at all... in fact it is a very good additional service/product that both Invision and now vBulletin are offering to their customers.

Out of curiosity. The parts you quoted were they the only parts you read?

I'll still stand by what I said. Redundant, silly, needless and all those other fine attributes I can possibly associate with this particular app and the iphone. I understand the iphone brigade will now quote me and I expect scores of alerts "the iphone brigade have just quoted you".

As an ex owner of a 3gs & iphone4 I find them redundant or atleast once an owner. Given to me as gifts by a client the 3gs was an absolute nightmare. At this time other smartphones in my mind played catchup. Sure, apple released the first usuable smartphone but now this way of thinking is not warranted. You like it, fine. You love it dearly, that might be an issue in itself. I like my computer, but loving it dearly, I dunno it seems that those type of emotions are better spent on people not smartphones.

I find the thread as run it's course and a discussion was never going to happen. To reiterate, my issue with this thread was not focused on the iphone but rather the app, which is better being discussed at vbulletin. I only see this as promoting a product. I find the app redundant, because it's not beneficial to people who escaped vbulletin and don't want to know. I find it silly because development of such an app and the time spent would have been better spent developing the core "flagship" product.

Now, for some reason which i did explain in this thread they were my main issues, the poor iphone did get a bit of stick because i loathe it so much. I don't think that development of apps is stupid, for vbulletin it is. In general I don't. Mobile device market is growing at such a fast pace it would be stupid to think otherwise. Had the thread title been xenforo iphone app i would have embraced it but we don't need to hear about vbulletin product announcements here when chances are the discussion on this topic will go nowhere and downhill very fast.

As an ex owner of a 3gs & iphone4 I find them redundant or atleast once an owner. Given to me as gifts by a client the 3gs was an absolute nightmare.

Why was it a nightmare?

You love it dearly, that might be an issue in itself.

I am not sure what is going on in your mind, but why state something like this? Is there really any benefit for this discussion or the community-feeling which exists here amongst each other, putting out quite remarkable statements like this, Shelley?

I find the app redundant, because it's not beneficial to people who escaped vbulletin and don't want to know.
That is another argument I just don't follow. For the huge client base and potential client base of vBulletin this iPhone App is actually far from redundant. It is obviously not aimed at people who escaped vBulletin, but that is also not the point.

I find it silly because development of such an app and the time spent would have been better spent developing the core "flagship" product.
Yes, this is something I can follow.

...but we don't need to hear about vbulletin product announcements here when chances are the discussion on this topic will go nowhere and downhill very fast.

To be honest, can you see (and I say this will all respect) that the way you are reacting in this thread (see the example 'You love it dearly, that might be an issue in itself' above, which can come across as really offensive) contributes to the thing you yourself want to prevent?

I had hoped that this thread would engender constructive discussion relating to iPhone or other mobile platform interaction with forums, but it would seem to have degenerated into little more than people shouting at each other. As such, I don't think this thread has a future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom