vBulletin 4.2 to XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm tired of vBulletin and seems it will not get better. So I decided to switch to XenForo. I read FAQ already and searched some similar topics. But I have some questions. How can I convert vB to XenForo? Is there any article about converting vB to XF here?

And the other question is about purchase liscense. Is there any problem with Iranian client? As you know, because of some sanctions against Iran, we can't access some payment stuff, hosting, domain and ... . So, do you accept Persian clients?

Thanks,
Mohammad

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm tired of vBulletin and seems it will not get better. So I decided to switch to XenForo. I read FAQ already and searched some similar topics. But I have some questions. How can I convert vB to XenForo? Is there any article about converting vB to XF here?

Thanks,
Mohammad

Converting to xenforo is very easy and smooth. It has a built in converter tool. You can read more about the subject here:

http://xenforo.com/help/importing/

Hello,

And the other question is about purchase liscense. Is there any problem with Iranian client? As you know, because of some sanctions against Iran, we can't access some payment stuff, hosting, domain and ... . So, do you accept Persian clients?

Thanks,
Mohammad
My Social Groups add-on can import from vB just fine

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/social-groups-for-xenforo-1-2-compatible.267/

Hello,
How can I convert vB to XenForo?

Next, Next, Next, Next, Next, Done.
Welcome to your new XenForo installation with vBulletin content migrated into.

There's a standard embedded converter that let you to migrate from vBulletin to Xenforo.
How many posts and users are in your forum ? Do you need to migrate also content from 3rd party plugin or do you have a quite standard vBulletin installation ?

We've just done the conversion a few days ago.
Everything went pretty smooth for the most important stuff, the users and the forum content, but ...

If you had media like Youtube embedded in your forum posts, you will have to convert the BBCode Tags from vBulletin's video tags to Xenforo's MEDIA tags. This can be a bit more difficult to do, although Kier has created a nice Content Replacement Tool AddOn where you can search and replace message content using PCRE regular expressions.

You will have to invest some time to understand the rights/permission system in Xenforo. Once you really understand it you want to check and adjust all forums' and user group permissions and the user group promotions. If you're running a medium to big community with lots of forums and user groups, it will take you some time.

If you're running a community for software developers and you had syntax highlighting with GeSHi in vBulletin, then there's an AddOn by digitalpoint to do the same on Xenforo. But depending on how the syntax highlighting was implemented in your vbulletin forum, there's a chance that you have to convert ALL code tags from their old format to the new format used by digitalpoint's syntax highlighter. Again, quite a bit of work using a replacement tool, SQL queries or whatever means you choose.

If you had used the vBulletin4 CMS, you'll have some problems to solve. There's an importer AddOn, that imports your vB CMS content into forum posts. If you want to move this content to the XenForo Resource Manager, there's yet another AddOn to do that. But it won't work as straight forward as you wish, especially regarding attachments (e.g. images).

Bottom line:
Everything is pretty straight forward regarding the basic conversion and to get your site up and running. Housekeeping after the conversion can keep you busy for a while though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom