1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duplicate vBSEO vs XenForo

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Phiras, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phiras

Phiras New Member

vBSEO is the best SEO plugin ever , used only to optimize vBulletin

why not to copy some of it's best features and paste those features in xF ?

or would you program xFSEO for XenForo ?
  2. Phiras

Phiras New Member

xF is well known because of it's stability PLUS lightness (at the same time)

why not to make known for it's SEO power as well as (the above) ?
  3. Rigel Kentaurus

Rigel Kentaurus Well-Known Member

XenForo already has SEO features built-in
  4. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

SEO is already integrated into XenForo. It's not require for us to depend on other software. We know for fact it would always be supported.
    el canadiano likes this.
  5. Phiras

Phiras New Member

@Rigel Kentaurus : you're correct , XenForo is already well-optimized , but why not to make more optimized ?

@kkm323 : but it's not SEO'd enough !
  6. Rigel Kentaurus

Rigel Kentaurus Well-Known Member

Could you give concrete examples of what you would like to see?
  7. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Judging by how well Google indexes various XenForo installations, I'd have to say your assumption of XenForo being "not SEO'd enough" is incorrect. There's various examples of how XenForo excels at being indexed properly by search engines.
    D.O.A. and JVCode like this.
  8. Hoffi

Hoffi Well-Known Member

Examples, please.
    The only thing I miss, ist that I can't rename the identifiers like forum s, threads, etc. for other languages.
  9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Already suggested (by the OP and several others).
  10. Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg Well-Known Member

My opinion is that much of what vBSEO offers is snake oil. Free products for vB can duplicate all the meaningful features. Indeed is there any real evidence, rather than unproven testimonials, to indicate vBSEO helps? I've seen religious fervor about it, such as an encounter once with a forum where the moderators became bent out of shape when I simply requested evidence.

As to XenForo, I'd like to see the ability to customize meta tags in the control panel, without just copying and pasting into a template.
  11. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Most meta tags aren't really used much anymore (Keywords for example).

Description is, but XenForo really already handles that, and handles that. Everything else is redundant and bloat and has no impact on SEO.

The only thing that vBSEO offers that most people would like is the customizable URL, but even that is pretty worthless. Changing URL structure really has no impact on SEO, and XenForo's URL are quite nice the way they are.
    el canadiano likes this.
  12. Gene Steinberg

So in short vBSEO is, as I surmised, a waste of money. Too bad there's no regulation of phony claims for software.
  13. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

vbSEO is only good for vBulletin 3.
    Darkimmortal likes this.
  14. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

Hmm... well my two cents on this although I'm sure it's been expressed a number of times by many..
    I wouldn't start a vBulletin site without vBSEO, I vaule very highly what you can do with vBSEO on a vBulletin forum.
    I had used it for years and generally a strong supporter of the product.
    I stopped using it because it was killing my server when we'd get hit with viral threads (30K hits a day) and I wasn't going to upgrade the server just because of vBSEO on those particular days.

I ended up removing the product from my vB4 forum and ran it a few months, our traffic dropped as expected, but it was obvious to me that vBSEO was helping the site out, it was just to much of a recourse hog.
    I then switched to xenForo and have been very happy with the server load as well as our rankings in the SERP's.

TBH I haven't had time to really check out the SEO options in xenForo, I'm sure it could improve on some but I'm getting similar searches per day with xF than I did with vB + vBSEO.
  15. Gene Steinberg

If your traffic suddenly dips when you remove a few meta tags and other stuff, there ought to be other reasons. Perhaps the change in URLs when you removed it.

With vB 3, friendly URLs and other refinements can easily be done with free add-ons.
  16. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

My site dipped when I changed from regular vb4 friendly urls to mod-rewrite friendly urls 6 months down the road. I almost want to change it back but I don't care anymore. At least my XF site is doing good. I changed that to mod-rewrite friendly urls at the very beginning.
  17. Gene Steinberg

OK so it was the mod rewrite URLs, not that vBSEO snake oil. Just to clarify.
  18. petertdavis

petertdavis Well-Known Member

There are two things that vbSEO did that are real necessities that XF doesn't do. First, sitemaps. Second, ping. Both could be handled nicely by addons.
  19. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

They would be handled better by add-ons, especially if it was made so other add-ons could plug into them.
  20. Gene Steinberg

There's an add-on, Simple Sitemap, at http://xenforo.com/community/threads/sitemap-for-xenforo.9684/, which updates every day, and Pings.

Since vB has a built-in sitemap, however, I'd think it would be better done in the core program, rather than parceled out to a third party. This is an important feature.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.